Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

KYB AGX vs Bilstein HD / SLP

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 04:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB AGX vs Bilstein HD / SLP

I did some searching up and can't seem to come to any conclusion as to whether or not the KYB AGX is comparable to the Bilstein HD / SLP.

Main complaint about the KYB AGX seems to be that both the rebound and compression change with the adjustment ****. How do they compare to the Bilstein HD's otherwise?

They will be paired with BMR springs on my 1999 Camaro SS 6MT.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2014, 05:00 AM
TECH Addict

punch this:

kyb vs. bilstein site:ls1tech.com

into google and read, this subject has been discussed to death, and brought back to life again and again.

to sum it up, Bilstein is a quality budget shock and KYB aren't bad (better then Monroes) but there quality standards aren't as high as Bilsteins, given the choice between the 2 it is always suggested to go with the Bilsteins, Personally I went with the Bilstein SLP's from ws6store (also where I got my BMR springs) because I didn't want to wait on the Koni STR.T's to get back in stock. I just finally got my BMR/Bilsteins installed on the front of the car on friday (did the rears months ago) and got it back from the alignment shop monday afternoon and didn't get a chance to really open her up but in what driving I did do it was quite the improvement over factory.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:07 AM
On The Tree

Would you say that the Koni SRT.T is very comparable to the Bilstein HD/SLP or even better?

I did read many posts stating that they would go with the Bilstein over KYB-AGX, however there seemed to also be just as many stating that the KYB AGX were comparable to the Bilsteins.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP You realize that the Bilstein HD and The Bilstein SLP shocks are 2 different shocks, right?

I can't recall which of the Bilstein shocks is supposed to work better with lower springs, but I believe one of those versions is.

With something like this, I'd call Sam Strano and just chat with him on the phone quick. He seems to have a "no-bs" reputation and will likely give you straight answers.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:47 AM
On The Tree

In reading Sam's posts, it looks like the KYB AGX shouldn't even be considered.

My understanding is that the older Bilstein SLP shocks were different than the HDs but current stock are all the same?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I always steer people away from the KYB's. They are cheap, and for a reason. I have seen alot of failures with them, and they do not offer very good "adjustability". I would definitely recommend the Bilsteins, or if you can find them available the Koni Str.t's. The latte being in high demand and short supply. Both companies are much higher quality and have warranty backing as well.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-24-2014, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
OP You realize that the Bilstein HD and The Bilstein SLP shocks are 2 different shocks, right?
They used to be. They are not anymore. They stopped making the SLP Bilsteins different from the HD a long time ago.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had the KYB AGX's before and I now have bilsteins HD. I prefer the Steins better.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by paradigmGT
Would you say that the Koni SRT.T is very comparable to the Bilstein HD/SLP or even better?

I did read many posts stating that they would go with the Bilstein over KYB-AGX, however there seemed to also be just as many stating that the KYB AGX were comparable to the Bilsteins.
Quality wise I would say the Bilstein HD/SLP shocks, and the Koni SA Sports shocks are very comparable, but not the SRT.T which is a more budget friendly shocks that Koni has made by another company. Now as far as the valving the STR.T has better rebound dampening than the Bilsteins which is better suited at controlling stiffer lowering springs; at least according to Sam Strano.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
They used to be. They are not anymore. They stopped making the SLP Bilsteins different from the HD a long time ago.
I wonder what the $150 difference between the HD's and SLP's on Strano's website is about then?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

No clue, but Strano himself said they are no longer different, so beats me.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I wonder what the $150 difference between the HD's and SLP's on Strano's website is about then?
Possibly just getting rid of the old product model, even if not really different.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I currently have kyb agx shocks and they do not have adequate settings for daily driving use

Monroe's - too soft - living on the bump stops
Kybs - too soft for the street. Hard bumps and pot holes leave you bottoming out.
Tokico's - great for daily driving - in my fbody they had the perfect amount of comfort and strength
Bilsteins - great mix of performance and street ability.
Konis - can be a bit harsh on the street.

Note I have used all except the bilsteins. The best handling lowered car I've ever driven had the tokico shocks and bmr springs on my last formula

Bilsteins are $400 for a set, well worth it. Tokicos are $350 I think but hard to find and for the most part in proven and not as popular to purchase

Last edited by chrysler kid; 06-25-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

I just installed a set of Bilstein HD and the shocks are OK....however the bushings and boot that they supply are total crap, very disapointed. Would I do it again probably not I think it's just a lot of Hype to get people to buy the name. Next time I will give the KYB a try. I put them on my Montero Sport and am very satisfied with that application.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The rear upper shock bushing can easily be replaced/upgrade with very little time/effort /money. The boots can also be easily modified to stay on the retainers better. I've ran into minor issues like this with KYB, Tokico, Monroe, Bilstein, Koni,. I know there's no excuse for inferior hardware, but it's better you have issues with things that are fairly easy to correct than issues with inner workings of the shocks themselves. The best mounting and exterior hardware in the world on a poorly valved and designed(crappy) shock still leaves you with a crappy shock . FYI, a set of bilsteins will long outlast a set of KYB, Tokico, Monroe, in the same conditions
Old 06-26-2014, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
This is correct. Bilsteins are nice shocks for the money, controlled ride without being overly harsh.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah I wouldn't judge the overall quality of the shock by the dust boot...

I've had KYB and Bilstein. The KYB didn't have any better bushings, and the shock is definitely inferior to Bilstein.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lots of good information in this thread. I'm kind of on the fence now between the Bilstein/BMR setup or the Viking coilovers.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Lots of good information in this thread. I'm kind of on the fence now between the Bilstein/BMR setup or the Viking coilovers.
Both of your options are very good it just really depends on your budget and what your goals are with the car.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

What's the price difference? Easy. SLP's, when in stock, do NOT have a lifetime warranty. HD's, right now... are only in stock one place and they cost more to buy, and have the warranty, hence the price difference. The "normal" price difference for the full warranty is more like $40. But this isn't a "normal" time.

I caution folks all the time to not take things they read on the 'net out of context, and I'm glad someone at least, kinda/sorta asked what the difference is. The issue is that Bilstein is out of shocks, they can't supply SLP, and my normal stock and supply of HD's is out, so I'm using a secondary place, the only place I know has them... and they cost more (probably why they have them).

All that said. None of these shocks are ideal for lowering springs. KYB's pretty well suck. The Bilstein's weren't ever meant for the job anyway, and when they were used it was with a more mild spring than you have (and I think they lacked rebound in that situation anyway).

Koni STR.T would be a better option, if there were any, but right now there aren't. Some trickle in and a few backorders get filled here and there, but no certain stock I can promise you without a backorder (and even then we have to wait). Or Koni Sports.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: KYB AGX vs Bilstein HD / SLP