Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

adjustable panhard bar - needed when lowering car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjustable panhard bar - needed when lowering car?

I am lowering my 1999 Camaro SS, and wanted to know what other components MUST be changed to properly lower it?

I was reading that the rear end will shift to the left when lowering the car? Therefore I need an adjustable panhard bar to bring it back to the center?

Also which Panhard bar to go with, I see a lot of choices?
Old 06-25-2014, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you need an adjustable (or shorter) panhard rod, or a watts link. I got mine (Panhard rod) from Founders Performance. Love it. You will also need springs, shocks, and an alignment at a minimum. To prevent wheel hop you will also need LCA relocation brackets; Founder Performance is where I got those too.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

absolute bare minimum is shocks, springs and panhard bar (or watts link), I went with founders, and an alignment.

once all is said and done if you experience a vibration that was not there before then you could need an adjustable torque arm to reset the pinion angle and depending on mileage you may want to do control arm bushings and ball joints while everything is apart. Also you may as well do relocation brackets while you have the rear control arms out for bushing replacement (or control arm replacement if you decide it's easier to replace the rear control arm then press in new bushings on the old ones).
Old 06-25-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My rear didn't shift at all after lowering. Shocks, springs and sways are the important parts. Anything else your spending money on things you probably won't notice depending on your driving habits.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
My rear didn't shift at all after lowering. Shocks, springs and sways are the important parts. Anything else your spending money on things you probably won't notice depending on your driving habits.
Impossible given the rules of geometry It did move, but how much you lowered it may not be really that noticeable. Given the tolerances on these cars I wouldn't be surprised if some don't see much swing, and others do.

Still, for under $100 for an adjustable arm it is a good idea to just plan on it.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All I can say is it didn't move down to 1/16" lowering the car 1.25". It did come in handy after I switched to a 9" but up until then it was a complete waste of money.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by paradigmGT
I am lowering my 1999 Camaro SS, and wanted to know what other components MUST be changed to properly lower it?

I was reading that the rear end will shift to the left when lowering the car? Therefore I need an adjustable panhard bar to bring it back to the center?

Also which Panhard bar to go with, I see a lot of choices?
Your rear end will definitely shift over to the driver's side of the car a bit when you lowering the ride height. We generally always recommend using a adjustable panhard rod when lowering the vehicle because it will allow you to center up the rear end under the car.

I would recommend our BMR on-car adjustable panhard bar with polyurethane bushings. It is by far our most popular adjustable panhard rod we offer and would be perfect for your application.

BMR on-car adjustable panhard bar (PHR002)

If we can help you out in any way just let us know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-26-2014, 09:20 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally prefer the following route whether lowering or not:

Relocation brackets
Adjustable control arms
Adjustable panhard
Four wheel alignment

Enjoy an entirely new feel of confidence and control

Quick Reply: adjustable panhard bar - needed when lowering car?