Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ground clearance

OK, I need some help. Car is a 2002 Trans am convertible. We installed an LQ4 iron block 6.0L. I replaced the suspension with the Bilstein BTS-7501 kit, front and rear. I know, not the best choice, but it is done. Today I installed an SLP Y pipe and a Spohn tunnel brace. To my surprise, I could not get the car out of the garage. The tunnel brace hits the ground as the car goes over the crest between the garage floor and the driveway. Never happened before. So obviously the car is too low. Plan is to remove the Spohn tunnel brace and try to fit the original X brace or leave it off completely. I do have subframe connectors and a strut tower brace installed. Any ideas?
Old 07-12-2014, 02:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most of the tunnel braces hang down low. The only tunnel brace that doesn't hang down low is the Granateli F-Body G-Load Brace, but I'd probably just try installing the factory brace by shimming it with some 1/8" flat washers or leave the brace off completely.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Most of the tunnel braces hang down low. The only tunnel brace that doesn't hang down low is the Granateli F-Body G-Load Brace, but I'd probably just try installing the factory brace by shimming it with some 1/8" flat washers or leave the brace off completely.
Tried shimming, not working out too well. I plan to build my own brace out of some 1/8" or 1/4" flat steel and put in a bend or shim it down,to clear the pipes. For now I will just cruise around without the brace. Other option is to find a used one and cut out some reliefs. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've got the Granateli F-Body G-Load Brace on my car, minus the ds loop and large spacers it's probably 1/4" steel. It doesn't hang down any further than the factory brace (if you want to call it that), but it does have more exhaust clearance above it.
FYI, this is on a hard top coupe NOT, on a convertible so I'm not 100% sure on fitment for your convertible.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

That looks exactly what I had in mind to build. I will check that out. It looks like it will fit on the convertible mounts. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO, if you have good fabrication and welding skills you can build you own for a lot less than $130.
http://www.lmperformance.com/556794
Old 07-12-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its been a while since I burned metal, too many bolt on options availabe today. Looks like it is time to dust off the mig welder and the plasma cutter. I also found an inexpensive OEM X brace on Ebay so I will start with that and then if necessary dust off my skills. Doesnt look like brain surgery and it will be good to try some fabrication again.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I've got the Granateli F-Body G-Load Brace on my car, minus the ds loop and large spacers it's probably 1/4" steel. It doesn't hang down any further than the factory brace (if you want to call it that), but it does have more exhaust clearance above it.
FYI, this is on a hard top coupe NOT, on a convertible so I'm not 100% sure on fitment for your convertible.
I was planning on doing this over the winter. Does it drone and how loud is it? My region has a strict sound limit for autocross.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by camarokid91
I was planning on doing this over the winter. Does it drone and how loud is it? My region has a strict sound limit for autocross.
That was a previous dumped setup(#3) I was running with a Moroso Spiral Flow 3.5" in/out muffler, it droned really bad in the 1500-1900rpm range. So it was only on my exhaust for 1 week, which was how long it to Jegs to get me a Borla XR-1 3.5" in/out muffler to replace it. The borla was still a little to loud for me, but no drone. The first 2 dumped setups I ran were with 3" in/out mufflers, first with a magnaflow 14419 (4" dia.) when my engine was basically stock, but it was still a little loud. Then the 2nd system was with a Magnaflow# 12867 (5" dia.) which didn't sound to loud, even with my engine being cammed and didn't drone at all. IMO, if you're running a 3" y-pipe exit on your exhaust then your best bet is to either run a Magnaflow #12867 or Borla XR-1 #40085 with your dumped exhaust setup and a SS J-bend cut and rewelded (what I did)with a slight downward angle to the exit.

Quick Reply: Ground clearance