Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Viking coilovers vs. Bilstein/BMR or Strano setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:09 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I tend to shy away from that much adjustability on a shock. You have a fixed rate spring, so there's really only a pretty narrow spot where the shock works properly with the spring. That's why Konis are nice - allow you to adjust for whatever spring you may purchase - but still the adjustability is pretty narrow based on the spring.

Other than that, having tons of adjustability is a good recipe for actually making the car perform worse. At least it's been that way on other cars I've had. The more adjustability you have, the more likely it is you screw up the dynamics of the car.

Luckily, MWC and UMI have "optimal settings" which are probably pretty close to what you want and can always dial the setup back in by returning to those settings.

One other thing to consider is the OP has 15" MT drag radials on the back. He isn't going to be able to take much advantage of the Strano/BMR springs and a Bilstein or Koni shock with that wheel/tire package.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have 4 corners worth of DA Vikings on Jerry's '99SS. It ran top 5 at GoodGuys Columbus and Syracuse Nationals. And we drive it around town. And on trips.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I tend to shy away from that much adjustability on a shock. You have a fixed rate spring, so there's really only a pretty narrow spot where the shock works properly with the spring. That's why Konis are nice - allow you to adjust for whatever spring you may purchase - but still the adjustability is pretty narrow based on the spring.

Other than that, having tons of adjustability is a good recipe for actually making the car perform worse. At least it's been that way on other cars I've had. The more adjustability you have, the more likely it is you screw up the dynamics of the car.

Luckily, MWC and UMI have "optimal settings" which are probably pretty close to what you want and can always dial the setup back in by returning to those settings.

One other thing to consider is the OP has 15" MT drag radials on the back. He isn't going to be able to take much advantage of the Strano/BMR springs and a Bilstein or Koni shock with that wheel/tire package.

Yep, those reasons right there are part of the reason I'm going the Viking route, but price is also a factor, and the Viking front and rear coilover package kit is way less money than a Koni/BMR/Strano setup.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Yeah, you'll be happy with those! I think for your driving style and goals, they will be perfect.

I got the BMR package, because I was able to get the BMR springs, Konis, and sways for the same price as the Viking coilover package. And given that I wanted a well-rounded car that could handle and hook, I thought that setup was a bit better for me. But I definitely weighed the Vikings for a good, long time.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
[/B][/U]

Yep, those reasons right there are part of the reason I'm going the Viking route, but price is also a factor, and the Viking front and rear coilover package kit is way less money than a Koni/BMR/Strano setup.
Any updates?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You made the right decision OP. You'll love the Vikings.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts

Shocks can be very, very different. Much more so than they appear on the outside. And as much as sell a lot of Bilstein's, they aren't my favorite.. but many like the price. I love Koni's because they just rock it on the valving and control. But they aren't coil-over and some want that. Which is where KW's live, premium shock control and coil-over.

There are lesser shocks and they range from crap to passable. I won't bash things here, it's frankly not worth the fight. But I'll tell you there is a reason the best performance cars in the world also have the best damping.

NOTHING on the suspension matters as much as the right damper. And "adjustment" is great if it does what it should and not all shocks do. Adjustable doesn't mean perfect. The valving and the range of adjustment, and WHAT you are adjusting at what piston speed is all part and parcel to tuning shocks. Some shocks aren't even gas charged which means they will fade (they work differently when warm than cold).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, a KW coil-over setup also costs over 2K which is well out of the price range the OP was looking at; second, anyone who "reads" your comment after the fact knows that you ARE bashing.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, Sam isn't bashing , it called constructive criticism. Sam's a blunt to the point guy, he doesn't sugar coat things just to make a sale.
Yes, Sam Strano's words can seem abrasive if he's be blunt with you and telling you the facts, instead of telling you what you want to hear.
IMO, Sam's opinion carries a lot of weight when it comes to making a car handle properly for street, auto-cross, and on a road course. Furthermore I don't agree with everything he say's, but he knows WTF he's talking about when it comes to making a car handle properly.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts

And here, we, go..... *sigh*

Yeah, I was bashing by saying shocks matter. Notice the list of things I said I HATED? Oh right, you couldn't have because I didn't even mention those.

You go right the KW price, but ignore the Koni price. You are also kind of unaware that I could sell Viking and QA1, and AFCO too. I don't put them on my site because I'm plenty busy with products I know and like better at this time.

The only bashing here was your response, in which you just made crap up.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Viking coilovers vs. Bilstein/BMR or Strano setup