Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Viking coilovers vs. Bilstein/BMR or Strano setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Viking coilovers vs. Bilstein/BMR or Strano setup

This is going to be the next upgrade I do to my 2002 WS6, which right now, sits on all stock suspension components. My mods are below in my signature. This is a street car first and foremost. It will see some track time in the future, but if I had to put a percentage on it, it would be 90% street and 10% track. What I'm looking for is really good ride quality and a nice lowered stance. I want to be able to hook up good on the street and when I'm at the track, but I want a nice comfortable ride when cruising around town and on the highway. I am not looking to spend more than $1,000. Help me out here. I've heard great things about both the Viking coilovers and the Bilstein/BMR or Strano setup, but I'm unsure which one will fit my needs better.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the Viking shocks they offer a two year warranty and they are 19 way double adjustable so you can adjust them for the street or track. We offer the lowest price guaranteed.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
I would go with the Viking shocks they offer a two year warranty and they are 19 way double adjustable so you can adjust them for the street or track. We offer the lowest price guaranteed.
Shoot me a PM with the price for a complete set (front/rear and spanner wrench). With the rear Viking shocks, you can run the stock springs, or opt for a lowering spring, correct? With the adjustability of the rear shock, will that adjust ride height?
Old 07-29-2014, 12:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
This is going to be the next upgrade I do to my 2002 WS6, which right now, sits on all stock suspension components. My mods are below in my signature. This is a street car first and foremost. It will see some track time in the future, but if I had to put a percentage on it, it would be 90% street and 10% track. What I'm looking for is really good ride quality and a nice lowered stance. I want to be able to hook up good on the street and when I'm at the track, but I want a nice comfortable ride when cruising around town and on the highway. I am not looking to spend more than $1,000. Help me out here. I've heard great things about both the Viking coilovers and the Bilstein/BMR or Strano setup, but I'm unsure which one will fit my needs better.
Honestly it sounds like the Viking Performance shocks would be your best bet since you are really looking to do a nice street/strip setup. The Viking stuff will work well with what you are wanting to do with only minimal sacrifice in the handling of the car which you probably won't even notice with want you want to do with the car. The Bilstein/BMR or Strano spring setup will be perfect for the street and handle well but it will not offer the best traction or straight line performance on the street or at the track.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Honestly it sounds like the Viking Performance shocks would be your best bet since you are really looking to do a nice street/strip setup. The Viking stuff will work well with what you are wanting to do with only minimal sacrifice in the handling of the car which you probably won't even notice with want you want to do with the car. The Bilstein/BMR or Strano spring setup will be perfect for the street and handle well but it will not offer the best traction or straight line performance on the street or at the track.
Thanks for the feedback. Are you guys a vendor for Viking as well? If so, shoot me a PM on the pricing for a full Viking setup.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Shoot me a PM with the price for a complete set (front/rear and spanner wrench). With the rear Viking shocks, you can run the stock springs, or opt for a lowering spring, correct? With the adjustability of the rear shock, will that adjust ride height?
The front shocks will come as a "coil-over" setup that is ride height adjustable with new springs included as this is the oem design.

The adjustable rear shocks are a direct bolt-in replacement, and you will use the stock or lowering spring. We do offer a nice coil-over conversion package for the rear shocks as well that will give you the same ride height adjustability as the front.

An adjustable shock does not alter ride height unless you change the height(length) of the spring itself or it's mounting point. The f-body rear shocks are normally a "smooth body" shock and are just adjustable on the valving rates, not ride height. For ride height adjustable you will need the threaded body shock, commonly referred to as a "coil-over". Typically a rear coil-over conversion is about 200.00 more than just the smooth body bolt-in setup.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thank you, your explanation makes perfect sense.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback. Are you guys a vendor for Viking as well? If so, shoot me a PM on the pricing for a full Viking setup.
PM heading your way!

Old 07-30-2014, 08:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Vikings are a nice set up. The double adjustment allows tuning for street, strip and handling. Upon testing using our 4th gen autox car we have found really good settings we recommend and also spring rates that work together well. We offer the Vikings in both a front and rear coil over kit, 100% bolt in and they been proven to take the abuse. They would be right around the $1000.00 mark as well and I would be glad to do do quote. Below are links to our kit-

Front Viking Coil Over Kit

Rear UMI/Viking Coil Over Kit

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you,
Ryan
Old 07-30-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd probably run cut springs with Bilsteins. I'm on the Koni/Strano setup and I find the ride to be too jarring for me.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Since you spend 90% of the time on the street I go with the best choice for the street which would be the Bilsteins with either the Strano's or BMR lowering springs. Yeah, the Vikings most likely will be better at the track, but what's more important to you, the 90% street time or 10% track time..?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the Viking and send them here and I'll send you me Strano/Koni setup lol.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:39 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Since you spend 90% of the time on the street I go with the best choice for the street which would be the Bilsteins with either the Strano's or BMR lowering springs. Yeah, the Vikings most likely will be better at the track, but what's more important to you, the 90% street time or 10% track time..?
The problem with this is that he really wants the ride height adjustability and the something that our BMR or Strano lowering springs with the Bilstein shocks won't offer. I don't think he mentioned it in the thread but we have been talking through PMs and I know that the OP has mentioned it.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I'd probably run cut springs with Bilsteins. I'm on the Koni/Strano setup and I find the ride to be too jarring for me.
Adjust the Konis

My Strano/Bilstein setup is far less jarring than my stock spring/KYB GR2 setup prior. Felt almost like the car had fixed axles sometimes.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely get a set of Vikings from MWC if I was you!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
The problem with this is that he really wants the ride height adjustability and the something that our BMR or Strano lowering springs with the Bilstein shocks won't offer. I don't think he mentioned it in the thread but we have been talking through PMs and I know that the OP has mentioned it.
plus with amount of adjustability they have, you can tune them to be comfortable on the street, and when you get to the track take 5 minutes to retune them for track use, then put them back for the drive home
TECH Senior Member

The decision has been made. Going with the complete Viking setup; front and rear coilovers.
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
plus with amount of adjustability they have, you can tune them to be comfortable on the street, and when you get to the track take 5 minutes to retune them for track use, then put them back for the drive home
This right here ^^^
Old 07-31-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
Comfortable is relative. I highly doubt they will be as comfortable as Bilstiens or Konis, I know the very similar QA1s are not even in the same ballpark.
Having adjustments are great and all but the shock needs to be valved properly in the first place...
Even with that said if you are more drag oriented op and want the best ET's a drag shock like the vikings would be a good choice, just don't think that they will ride as well as a better valved shock, no matter how many "adjustments" they have.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've talked with several people who have gone from setups like Bilstein shocks with lowering springs to the Viking setup and they have all said the ride comfort is even better and the adjustability on top of that makes it a no brainer in my book. I have not read or heard one bad thing about Viking and everyone who has their setups love them. It will be nice to play with the settings and find a setting for general street cruising, getting down on the street, and track time.

Quick Reply: Viking coilovers vs. Bilstein/BMR or Strano setup