Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS inop, low trac lights...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS inop, low trac lights...?

Hey, whenever I start off driving my 96 v6 auto camaro, I get the "low trac" light whenever I hit the brakes. I can brake hard and the abs system will kick in, and work fine. After a few minutes, the abs inop light will come on, and the abs system doesn't work. I checked the sensors connections in the rear, i'm not really sure where all the sensors are, and where the abs modual is, maybe that is my problem. Taking it to a dealer, They said I needed to replace the modual... around $1200 installed. I'm guessing I either have a bad connection that's somehow connected to the low trac light, and it disables the abs because of the problem. Anyone have the same problem, or have any suggestions? thanks for any help.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

Did you check the connector above the rear end housing on the driver's side?

And are your rear tires the same size as your front tires? (height, not width)

Either could cause this problem.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Did you check the connector above the rear end housing on the driver's side?

And are your rear tires the same size as your front tires? (height, not width)

Either could cause this problem.
We recently replaced the rear tires, but I never thought twice about that. This is when the problem started. Thanks for the help. Btw I did check those connections, and teh one on top of the axel.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:57 PM
Teching In

I checked and they're both the same, 215's...
Old 05-29-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to say that they might not be really checking what's wrong, but each dealer that I've been too with this problem has mentioned the same thing. The kicker of the deal is that I had simply replaced my stock Z28 rims equipped with 245/50 ZR16's for 17" SLP five spoke SS rims equipped with 275/40 ZR 17's. That's when I lived in NV.

Never had any problem with them, until I had the vehicle inspected for smog in CA. Whenever a vehicle is inspected for emmissions in CA, they will dyno the vehicle at legally normal speeds. Then I had the same problem you did. If you trust a non-dealer shop to look at it (possibly paying diagnostic fees), then that might be worth it for a second opinion.

The non-dealer mechanic went to a greater detail to look at it, and nothing was wrong, just needed resetting. However the price he quoted me if it needed replacing was over $400 less than what the dealer would do it for. Even his diagnostics fees we're cheaper than the dealer. Also, he operates with only experienced ASE certified techs, no apprentices, however I'm not sure on how dealer work is done, because they tend to keep their operations quite distant from their clientle.

It's really up to you, but in my situation, I'd look for better deals on work. Besides most of the dealer shops I've experienced in the continental US have performed work that I wasn't particularly pleased with.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

My ABS light came on; on my 1996 Tahoe as well. I was told all of the sensors on all 4 tires were responding fine. But the main ABS control module was bad. You could probably call around a junkyard to find one cheap, and pay a shop to install it. I look at it this way. As long as I can stop, there is no need for ABS. I even passed inspection with that light on.

Quick Reply: ABS inop, low trac lights...?