Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tranny mount question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tranny mount question...

Just did adj. panhard rod/LCA's yesterday and holy **** did it help eliminate the wheel hop(all of it!) HOWEVER, i usually put my cell phone in the cup holder of my center console, and to describe what is still happening, basically on a hard launch or burnout, sounds like someone is under my car hitting the floor w/ a sledghammer so hard that it makes my cellphone bounce around in the cup holder. Is this a bad tranny mount? i did a search and heard that the 1LE mount is a little firmer compound, is this the best one to go w/, if so where do i get it from b/c the morons' at dan perkins chevy didnt know what a mount for a 1LE was. Thanks in advance.

P.S, also read in a search that someone lowered there car (which mine is too) and they were having problems getting the car too launch as hard as it used to....i think i have this problem too, is there a common fix for this? EX. Rear end, clutch, gears?? Or does it just seem like i'm launching slower b/c my tires are actually grabbing now and not bouncing for the first 2 or 3 seconds. Thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default helloooooo??

Anyone have any ideas??
Old 05-27-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jack the trans up a bit to see if the mount separates or is cracked. also, you need control arm relocation brackets for a lowered car.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hourang
jack the trans up a bit to see if the mount separates or is cracked. also, you need control arm relocation brackets for a lowered car.
I know relocation brackets will relocate the LCA's, but what exactly does this do?? Everything seems fine now as it is w/out them aside from launching slower...possibly, is that what relocation brackets will fix??
Old 05-27-2004, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
I know relocation brackets will relocate the LCA's, but what exactly does this do??
Relocation brackets lower the axle mounting point for the lower control arms. This re-establishes the stock suspension geometry. At the factory ride height, the lower control arms are parallel to the ground, but when you lower the car the axle moves up relative to the body, so the LCAs now point downward (looking from the back tires pointing towards the engine).

Having the LCA's parallel to the ground is considered best for traction / handling, unless you're into drag racing.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John95Z28
Relocation brackets lower the axle mounting point for the lower control arms. This re-establishes the stock suspension geometry. At the factory ride height, the lower control arms are parallel to the ground, but when you lower the car the axle moves up relative to the body, so the LCAs now point downward (looking from the back tires pointing towards the engine).

Having the LCA's parallel to the ground is considered best for traction / handling, unless you're into drag racing.
OHhh i c....well yea i'm mainly only racing in a straight line....but i'm more than happy w/ the way it handles w/ everything ive done suspension wise so as long as not doin relocation brackets wont hurt anyhting, i can leave them out right?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John95Z28

Exactly
Old 05-27-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

OHhh i c....well yea i'm mainly only racing in a straight line....but i'm more than happy w/ the way it handles w/ everything ive done suspension wise so as long as not doin relocation brackets wont hurt anyhting, i can leave them out right?
As stated above, the relocation brackets really should be installed when you lower the car to keep the LCA geometry correct. IMO, its something you should do ESPECIALLY if you're focused on drag racing (for which lowering the car is not the best idea to begin with).
Old 05-28-2004, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
As stated above, the relocation brackets really should be installed when you lower the car to keep the LCA geometry correct. IMO, its something you should do ESPECIALLY if you're focused on drag racing (for which lowering the car is not the best idea to begin with).
Car was lowered when i bought it and there's no way i'm spending money on "lifting" my sports car...lol. But ok, rolocation brackets are just a matter or unbolting the rear bolt and bolting in the new bracket and bolting back in the LCA rear bolt?? Thanks
Old 05-28-2004, 12:02 PM
Launching!

But ok, relocation brackets are just a matter or unbolting the rear bolt and bolting in the new bracket and bolting back in the LCA rear bolt?? Thanks
Haven't done it myself, but I understand that relo brackets are pretty straightforward to install. Most are the weld-on type, which weld to the rear axle, but yes there are kinds which simply bolt to the axle. You unbolt the rear end of the LCA, install relo bracket, then you put the rear LCA bolt thru the bracket hole to hook it back up. Presto: stock suspension geometry is restored
Old 05-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Car was lowered when i bought it and there's no way i'm spending money on "lifting" my sports car...lol. But ok, rolocation brackets are just a matter or unbolting the rear bolt and bolting in the new bracket and bolting back in the LCA rear bolt?? Thanks
Heads up...you have to cut your brake line bracket in half. This requires resipricating saw. It was not that hard...took me like 4 hours on the first one and 1 hour on the second. See installuniversity.com for more help or PM me.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99gator
Heads up...you have to cut your brake line bracket in half. This requires resipricating saw. It was not that hard...took me like 4 hours on the first one and 1 hour on the second. See installuniversity.com for more help or PM me.
Ok, i'll look into it...gonna be a week or two though before i can throw another 100 bux or whatever they will cost. Thanks, i'll pm ya when i get them.

Quick Reply: Tranny mount question...