Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Factory SLP Bilstein Suspension VS BMR Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Factory SLP Bilstein Suspension VS BMR Springs

My Report....I removed my factory SLP Eibach springs that came with my car because the rear springs were sagging. I replaced front and rear with the BMR lowering springs. The stance is now perfectly even front to back. The front really came down a lot. The rear is actually a little higher because the Eibach springs were sagging so much (compared to the front).

Now I bought my 2002 Camaro new so I know that SLP worked with Eibach on the spring rate that they wanted. So this probably is why the rear springs sat lower than the front.

The BMR springs makes the car ride better as in softer more OEM. Now I never had the OEM GM springs as my car came with the factory Bilstein Suspension I can't compare them. But I can compare BMR with the SLP Bilstein suspension setup.

The BMR springs do not stiffen like my original setup did in corners or dips in the road at highway speed. My SLP suspension (Eibach) pushed back in the corners and really stiffened up in low dips on the highway and made my car ride hard sometimes.

The BMR springs makes for a soft factory ride while lowering the car. My car now rides more like a factory car not a race car. Which is nice I must tell you. It makes cruising more enjoyable and the stance is killer but they just don't handle as good as my SLP Eibach spring setup. They don't "push back."

This is my opinion and only my opinion as I am not a street racer or work for any spring making company so no flames please. This represents my opinion only.

I have decided to remove the BMR lowering springs and replace them with the Eibach ProKit Performance Springs. I'm not sure what the difference will be from the factory Eibach springs I had but I just hope my rear don't sag with them. I will report what I find out when I get them installed.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

My same complaints too, backs sag and the front is a tad too high.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:11 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

BMR springs are much higher rate. So it should handle better. What shocks do you have on there?
Old 09-14-2014, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

"SLP Bilstein suspension setup", so stock as optioned when new.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Bilstein shocks came with the car from the factory with Eibach springs.
No the BMR springs don't handle better than what I took off. BMR springs did level the car out and made it ride smoother not as stiff or rough.
The factory SLP Bilstein shocks with the SLP spec'd Eibach springs sagged in the rear real bad. It handled great it just looked funny. Made my front look like it was up in the air. I put some heater hose on the rear to raise it up but it didn't raise it enough. If you research you will find out that SLP had their own Eibach spring setup that is different than the Eibach ProKit.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Super Hulk Smash

What I'm saying is the BMR kit should handle better. It's much higher rate springs. 550/160 vs the Eibach springs which are 300-450 progressive front and 115-185 progressive rear. This is why the Eibachs felt like they were getting harder as you pushed them. They are much softer than BMR to start with, but as you compress the springs, they do get stiffer. But not nearly as stiff in the front and slightly stiffer in the rear. This is also a downside to progressive rate springs - it's harder to dampen them as the dampers don't dynamically adjust to progressive rate springs. Which is why it rode rough.

I ask about the shocks - if you kept the Bilstein on there or did something else. The BMRs need a good amount of shock to control them, but a lot of folks run Bilstein shocks with them as they are able to dampen them. But if they have a ton of miles on them, they may not be optimally matched. The upside of linear rate springs like the BMR are that you can easily match a shock to them and it's the same performance throughout the suspension travel.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Yes I kept the Bilstein shocks on the car. Just changed the springs.
I had a four wheel alignment done after the BMR springs were installed.
My alignment needed no adjustment after the springs were changed.
I have 32,000 miles on the car.

Thanks for your insight. I do think I like the feel of a progressive rate spring better as I seem to miss them now. Again my opinion. I do like the BMR springs ride. It is not as harsh and the car stance is exactly what I wanted.

I will stand my original factory SLP Eibach springs up on the garage floor next to the Eibach ProKit springs when they come in next week. Just to see if they are taller/shorter. It should be interesting to see any height differences.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmith
The factory SLP Bilstein shocks with the SLP spec'd Eibach springs sagged in the rear real bad. It handled great it just looked funny. Made my front look like it was up in the air.
same here. i replaced my rear springs with the oem original... duralast RCS635V from autozone. now my rear wheel well gap is the same as the front. i needed something in there asap because my rear springs were so bad. considering replacing the fronts this winter... not sure what to go with. i'm looking for something that gives ride quality on shitty ct roads more so than looks and lowered stance. after 12 years and 70k miles i'm assuming i could benefit from replacing front springs.

Originally Posted by SSmith
I have 32,000 miles on the car.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
vs the Eibach springs which are 300-450 progressive front and 115-185 progressive rear.
Where did you get that info?
Old 09-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I have one of those old threads saved offline that shows all the various spring rates for LS1s. That's what it shows for the Bilstein/Eibach SLP package.

Btw, the Eibach Pro-Kit is 400# front and 80-137# progressive rear.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I have one of those old threads saved offline that shows all the various spring rates for LS1s. That's what it shows for the Bilstein/Eibach SLP package.

Btw, the Eibach Pro-Kit is 400# front and 80-137# progressive rear.
I'd like to see that list. Would you mind posting it?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I don't have any experience with BMR's, but can compare the Eibach Pro-kit with Stranos - and BMR is widely held to have reproduced Strano's spring rate on theirs.

With the Pro-kit springs, the car rode harshly and eventually sagged in the rear. The Stranos, despite increased spring rate, rode much better - just like you're experiencing with the BMR's.

If I were you, I'd keep the BMR springs and upgrade to Koni SA shocks. Then you'll have a well-matched combo that will make for great handling and a good ride.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Ya I am having second thoughts on removing the BMR lowering springs.
Heck I just had them installed 5 months ago.

I don't want to re-live the Eibach rear spring sag again.

The bad part is I already ordered the Eibach Pro-Kit springs from the WS6store.com and they arrive tomorrow. I hope I can return them.

Thanks everyone for letting me air this out.

The BMR lowering springs ride nice and the lowered front to rear stance is perfect so I am keeping them. I don't track race the car so this setup is about perfect for the street. I will just stop push it and drive more civil....NOT!
Old 09-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the slp kit on my car as well. I swapped to the BMR's and the car feels great and flat through corners. The Eibach springs just got sloppy after a while. Got tired of bottoming out and looking up at the sky. Ride quality and performance that's hard to beat.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you would benefit greatly by new shocks. At the age of them, think of how the shocks must have worn if the springs were already sagging. Seems the Koni sport adjustables are THE way to go, the SRT non adjustables are another great and lesser expensive route to go.

Quick Reply: Factory SLP Bilstein Suspension VS BMR Springs