Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bottoming out problems help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bottoming out problems help

Hello I have a 99 Camaro ss with 35k on the body and suspension I'm running bilsteins shocks and Eibach pro kit springs with 12 bolt rearend with founder performance relocations brackets on it and I trim up the bump stop and I'm still bottoming out with even my self in the car it's gets worse more people I don't like it need some help please
Old 09-21-2014, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

id check to make sure they sent u the rt kit with correct spring rates.mine was doing it as well but i had original shock/ struts changed em out and it stopped,if urs are original u might wanna check there as well even with the low milage.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Check what
Old 09-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Teching In

I have bilsteins and strano springs. I also have this prob. with my ws6. I asked sam strano what he thought it was and he said its the bilsteins. now i know there not as good as koni but damn. lol. I do like the ride and handling of the car, but yea that bugs me also. I even asked him if better LCA's would help, and he said prob not.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by spdtrip
I have bilsteins and strano springs. I also have this prob. with my ws6. I asked sam strano what he thought it was and he said its the bilsteins. now i know there not as good as koni but damn. lol. I do like the ride and handling of the car, but yea that bugs me also. I even asked him if better LCA's would help, and he said prob not.
What does your car do buddy
Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by redcamaro4140
Hello I have a 99 Camaro ss with 35k on the body and suspension I'm running bilsteins shocks and Eibach pro kit springs with 12 bolt rearend with founder performance relocations brackets on it and I trim up the bump stop and I'm still bottoming out with even my self in the car it's gets worse more people I don't like it need some help please
If I had to guess what the issue is I would say that your Eibach lowering springs are probably sagging which is a very common issue with them. Is there anyway you can get some ride height measurements so we can see where the car is actually riding at? If you can park the car on as flat of an area as possible and measure from the ground through the center of the wheels to the quarter panel and fender and let us know what those measurements are. This will let us really know where you stand and I can compare the measurements versus what they would be with our BMR lowering springs.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Another vote on the Eibach springs. I've seen a lot of reports of issues like that with them.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

"Bottoming out" is probably the most misused term there is. What most tend to mean when they say it is the car hits hard at the end of the travel.

Well there is the matter of what happens dynamically when you drive the car. The bumpstops are the limiting factor on the travel. If you hit them are you "bottoming out"? Some think yes, some think no depending on their definition of what that is.

There are MANY important factors at play with the back of the car with regards to ride quality.

1st, are there bumpstops there at all? If so are they in decent shape? Are you running the SLP spacers that cut 1" of working travel away to start with? What stops are you running, as the stiffness and shape of them effects the wheel rate when you touch them.

2nd. Most folks don't realize the car is only meant to have about 500 pounds in it total, and cars are often very overloaded with big subs, two people (or more), and whatever is carried around.

3rd the springs themselves. Eibach's are lighter rate than mine, and tend to be lower. This means less spring rate and less working travel. The springs have to hold up whatever weight is sitting on them, and if they are 137 lb/in they aren't as stiff as 150's. And if you do have more weight than what is expected then we should look into supplemental help like internal air bags to the springs to help support the weight.

4th. The shocks. Similar to the springs lowering the car cuts away working travel, and if the shock damping is borderline to start with the shock can't do it's job as well as it could or should. Additionally this is made worse with heavier than stock rear axles which add a lot of unsprung weight, which shocks meant for a stock 10-bolt were not valved to handle. And as you add bigger and heavier wheels and tires (and many run 11's and not light ones on the rear) that's just more and more unsprung weight.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: Bottoming out problems help