Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone use Hawk Street/Race pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone use Hawk Street/Race pads

Has anyone run these yet? These are new to the Hawk line up and are marketed to be a bit more aggressive than the HP Plus pads.

Heading to the track next week (road course) and am contemplating trying them.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/perfo...ce-street-race
Attached Thumbnails Anyone use Hawk Street/Race pads-street-race-dedicated_0.jpg  
Old 10-07-2014, 12:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I have not, but I will be carrying them. I'm always dubious of claims that a brake pad can "do it all". Because well, they usually cannot. The two closest I found are DS2500 Ferodo's and EBC Yellowstuff, but neither of those I'd call race pads, but more "track day" pads. But it's gets more confusing because Hawk also claims the HP Plus is suitable for that use... and it's not.

If you want to try a set let me know. I am waiting on pricing now for those and I generally can sell Hawk at a price that I'm not allowed to advertise.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I have not, but I will be carrying them. I'm always dubious of claims that a brake pad can "do it all". Because well, they usually cannot. The two closest I found are DS2500 Ferodo's and EBC Yellowstuff, but neither of those I'd call race pads, but more "track day" pads. But it's gets more confusing because Hawk also claims the HP Plus is suitable for that use... and it's not.

If you want to try a set let me know. I am waiting on pricing now for those and I generally can sell Hawk at a price that I'm not allowed to advertise.
I have the same thoughts on combined 'street' and 'track' usage myself Sam but am willing to give these a shot for a single trackday. Think you'll have a set of front C5 Vette ones by super early next week? Car has to be complete by Thurs afternoon and hitting the track Friday the 17th!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I highly doubt it's possible to get you any before next week. I don't even have pricing, and I deal with a huge Hawk distributor daily and they don't even have pricing.

FWIW, they tell me they've heard they are similar to DTC30 which I've used. In fact I ran a car on some this last weekend (a Gen 5 @ PittRace in the Optima event). I would not recommend those for almost any track use, and if these are similar with a street angle, no way could I recommend them.

If you want to talk options and compare to what you've been running up to now, give me a yell.

Sam

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-07-2014, 01:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Found out some other things. Friction code is the same as HP+. which have power but it's abrupt. The DTC30 are actually more linear then HP+ and of just those two I'd prefer the latter... but not for hard track use, they just don't hold up.

Here's a pic of me this weekend. It's UMI's car. We are working on some development parts and those pads were on it:

I guess this should serve as a gentle reminder of how some of us do more than cruise around in cars.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Launching!

I guess this should serve as a gentle reminder of how some of us do more than cruise around in cars.
Thanks for the info and NICE pic! and yeah my preferred method of cruising is gas, brake, left, right, left, gas, left and repeat many times over!

Speak to ya soon
Old 10-08-2014, 12:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I can get you pads in time for the weekend, still, if you need some.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Launching!

I can get you pads in time for the weekend, still, if you need some.
Thanks Sam, they'll be here in time and great doing business with you again!
Old 10-10-2014, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What's the consensus on HPS or HP+ pads for monthly autocross events and 90% daily driven?

I currently have unknown pads with slotted/drilled rotors on LS1 brake swap on my 95 Z28(bought setup used). I'm not too concerned with brake fade as I am with picking the right pad that does not need to be HOT to work correctly.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smitty2919
What's the consensus on HPS or HP+ pads for monthly autocross events and 90% daily driven?

I currently have unknown pads with slotted/drilled rotors on LS1 brake swap on my 95 Z28(bought setup used). I'm not too concerned with brake fade as I am with picking the right pad that does not need to be HOT to work correctly.
First off, get rid of the drilled rotors- you're going to see hairline cracking at the holes if you already don't have them now.

The HP+'s will squeak kind of loudly coming to a stop every time you do until they get warm, so expect some noise from them ....and looks from others at red lights and stop signs. If you're competitive in Auto-x, get a set of the HP+'s just for the events and run the HPS's on the street.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

I bought the drilled/slotted rotors+matching pads + LS1 calipers + SS lines as a package used from a member here. They have been sufficient for me just getting into autocross for my first season.

I do plan to dump the drilled rotors and go with blanks or slotted at most.

I like the confidence that even the LS1 brake swap gave me with no name rotors and pads. Having said that, I would like to see what some decent pads can offer and will most likely go HP+'s
Old 10-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Launching!

For what your doing you'll like the HP+'s. Just ordered a set through Strano Performance today.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by smitty2919

HP+ will work, but I'm not a fan myself. You either love them or hate them. I don't love them. LOTS of power, but a dirty, squeaky mess. Which I could live with if they weren't so "on/off". They just are not very linear and they can wreck havoc with ABS because they are sticky and don't release cleanly.

Between just those two, I'd do HPS. But you might well want more power than that. I've been back to playing with pads again lately on my Corvette. I really like EBC Yellowstuff. Similar power to HP+, and still dirty and can make some noise, but MUCH more linear in their torque curve. And they work cold.

I have EBC's, I have Hawk, and a number of other brands as well so I can offer you what I think will be best, not just one brand.

Drilled rotors aren't good, they will crack. Slotted is ok, and in fact in some cases where there is a lot of dirt around we find slotted rotors are less susceptible to grooving. They don't stop any better, but they wear better in that way. Again lots of options there.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks a lot Sam. I came across a recommendation for some Ferodo DS2500 pads that are supposed to be similar to HP+ pads with less noise and dust? Any experience with those?

Come christmas time I will be giving you a call for a differential and some pads+rotors for next season.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

When I was looking at pads, I had it narrowed to the following:

Hawk HPS - what I went with. I had on other vehicles. On the street and when cold it's hard to beat. Crap at the track. Doesn't take heat and fades. But you never get to that level unless you are driving down a mountain on the street. Lower .40s in the coefficient of friction. But they don't squeal and the dust isn't bad at all. When you really stand on the brakes, they work with street tires and the F-Body brake system well.

Ferodo 2500 - wish we had for the stock F-Body calipers. I'd have run that. Upper .40s in coefficient of friction.

Porterfield R4S - Almost pulled the trigger on these. Have heard a lot of good things from BMW guys on their streetability and even track day duty capabilities. One draw back was cost and some poor reviews when used on other braking systems. Close to .50 coefficient of friction, linear, and good thermal range. I also think they don't squeal or dust terribly.

EBC Yellowstuff - Seemed to be a bit hit or miss from folks on how it worked. On the street, it needs a little heat to work well, and at the track can fade out and wear VERY quickly. Higher coefficient of friction. Close to .50-.52. Apparently they don't dust or squeal bad either.

Carbotech AX6 - I spoke directly to Carbotech about this. These were the most interested pads I looked at. They dusted and squeaked a little more than some of the others but had higher Coefficient of friction that HP+ and were more linear. Carbotech actually recommended XP8/AX6 combo front and rear. It was like $350 vs the $139 for the HPS. For a dual purpose pad setup that might give up a little on the street, that's probably the strongest combo. XP8 is in that .52-.58 range and the AX6 are closer to .50.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

DS2500's rock, but no F-body pads. Just C5 pads.

R4S's are more hype than anything and in times past saw other pads in the boxes, and sometimes different pads for the very same car.

EBC Yellows are what I have on the Z06 right now. First time I've used them personally. They are not clean, slightly less bad than HP+ but they do stop. They take a while to bed in and work their best. But have a very linear curve and feel good. Have been recommending these from time to time.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Main differences between the C5 calipers and LS1 calipers that I have found are:
40mm piston on C5, 45mm piston on LS1
Pressure cast C5 vs gravity cast LS1
additional cooling/strength ribs on C5 caliper
~1" larger C5 rotor vs Ls1.

Already having LS1 setup, to feel a real difference I may wait and long term go to the CTSV front setup and run 18" wheels instead of going with the C5 swap.

But aside from that, is it possible to run a C5 pad in a LS1 caliper/rotor? I would try it, but I don't have any used C5 pads laying around lol. That way I could run the DS2500 as a drop in pad...

I have read of people using Z06 calipers with LS1 rotors and pads.

Info I came across here post#10:
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/5...nd-C5-calipers
Old 10-13-2014, 02:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

the C5 and F-body pads are similar but not the same.

Frankly if you were to upgrade again I'd recommend a Wilwood kit. First because it's an engineered kit which doesn't need to play with spacers, etc. But also because they come with two piece rotors and pad availability is good.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

the C5 and F-body pads are similar but not the same.

Frankly if you were to upgrade again I'd recommend a Wilwood kit. First because it's an engineered kit which doesn't need to play with spacers, etc. But also because they come with two piece rotors and pad availability is good.
Totally agree with this. The pad availability isn't good, it is GREAT compared to stock calipers. Not to mention the SL6 kit I use has .8 inch thick pads which last forever compared to the paper thin stock stuff.

As far as pad selection goes for the guys that actually beat on their cars, check out carbotech. I've used most of the common track day pads and the carbotech blow them away. They never give up, seem to be much easier on rotors, and the dust is easy to clean up and non corrosive. Another benefit is their street and race pads are all compatible. No need to re-bed or switch rotors going from street to track pads.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Carbotech are impressive. XP12/XP8 combo is very good for the track.

And I may swap my wheels out so I can run something other than the stock brakes. I'd love to install Wilwoods on all four corners. The kits are very nice.

Quick Reply: Anyone use Hawk Street/Race pads