Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake fade/ABS feel when turning while braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Brake fade/ABS feel when turning while braking

Why would my brake pedal l feel like the ABS is kicking in and have horrible brake fade while turning? It's not even while aggressively driving. I mean if I'm coming up to a moderate bend in the road as low as 30 mph and have to stop for like a yield sign, it'll act up. It's far worse at higher speeds.

This is all on my recently bought daily TA. I haven't touched the brakes yet, but I've inspect the pad and they have plenty of life. I do plan on buying ceramic pads all the way around and bleeding the brakes at the very least soon. I've also noticed my rear brakes dust like crazy while the fronts have almost zero dust. Maybe the fronts are glazed over or ceramic already? Either way, a few moderate stops and my brakes are faded so they are getting changed for sure.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:41 AM
TECH Addict

Anybody?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the brake hoses need replacing. If its happening while turning, maybe theyre soft enough to where theyre getting pinched or collapsing enough to restrict brake fluid flow....just an idea.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bleed the front brakes and make sure fluid is able to transfer through them. If your rears are dusting that heavily, something is forcing an extreme biasing towards the rear.
If you can, grab an IR pyrometer and after some driving see if the front rotors have any heat in them- that'll tell you if the calipers are even compressing onto them. or if one side is compressing more than the other side.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check your front hubs for play.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep, check the hubs first. Abs reluctor is integrated in the hub, as the hub loosens up, so does the abs sensor, always freaks out the abs. Having the Abs issues while turning is a dead giveaway.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JOHNNYMO
Maybe the brake hoses need replacing. If its happening while turning, maybe theyre soft enough to where theyre getting pinched or collapsing enough to restrict brake fluid flow....just an idea.
Possible. I eventually wanted to replace those anyway.

Originally Posted by Heat Seeker WS6
Bleed the front brakes and make sure fluid is able to transfer through them. If your rears are dusting that heavily, something is forcing an extreme biasing towards the rear.
If you can, grab an IR pyrometer and after some driving see if the front rotors have any heat in them- that'll tell you if the calipers are even compressing onto them. or if one side is compressing more than the other side.
I had semi-metallic pads back there thinking they would be okay. I just put new AC Delco ceramic pads on all 4 corners. We'll see how they dust then. I thought of that brake bias too. The fronts get hot just like the rear. I've jacked the front up, spun the wheels and had a friend hit the brakes. They do work. Hopefully that isn't my problem though.

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Yep, check the hubs first. Abs reluctor is integrated in the hub, as the hub loosens up, so does the abs sensor, always freaks out the abs. Having the Abs issues while turning is a dead giveaway.
I actually have a brand new hub in the box that I bought due to an unrelated issue that turned out to be something else. I have checked both hubs for any play and all seems perfectly fine.

I've since topped off the brake fluid which was a hair low and replaced all the pads with some good ceramic ones. So far things are feeling much better, but I haven't been able to thoroughly test it yet.

Quick Reply: Brake fade/ABS feel when turning while braking