Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Vibration under braking NOT related to warped rotors...Need some suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Vibration under braking NOT related to warped rotors...Need some suggestions!

I've been dealing with an intermittent vibration when getting on the brakes for sometime now. It happens under light to moderate braking, but there's no pulsing through the pedal, just the whole car shaking from the front. If I brake really hard, or if I'm going up hill and braking, the problem doesn't occur.

I originally thought it was the rotors, but after getting them turned, the problem is still there and no better than before.

The car is a 2002 Z28 with 203,000 miles on it and has a C5 front brake setup.

Any idea what could be causing this?
Old 10-15-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

What pads? Were they properly bedded?
Old 10-15-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
What pads? Were they properly bedded?
Pads are Red Stuff and were bedded in correctly. The problem was there with the previous pads, as well.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
I've been dealing with an intermittent vibration when getting on the brakes for sometime now. It happens under light to moderate braking, but there's no pulsing through the pedal, just the whole car shaking from the front. If I brake really hard, or if I'm going up hill and braking, the problem doesn't occur.

I originally thought it was the rotors, but after getting them turned, the problem is still there and no better than before.

The car is a 2002 Z28 with 203,000 miles on it and has a C5 front brake setup.

Any idea what could be causing this?
Several ideas for ya: 1, rear disc are wobbling with no thickness variation. This will cause a shudder throughout the car and is hard to pinpoint, many mistake this for a front brake issue.

2, Excessive play in the front hub bearings(one or both) could explain the intermittent situation.

3, Worn suspension component (tie rod end, ball joint, control arm bushing)

4, Least likely but plausible since your description of "vibration" is not very detailed; tires. As you shift some weight to the front tires a "broken belt" may become noticeable and manifest itself as steering wheel shake or nose wobble.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
Several ideas for ya: 1, rear disc are wobbling with no thickness variation. This will cause a shudder throughout the car and is hard to pinpoint, many mistake this for a front brake issue.

2, Excessive play in the front hub bearings(one or both) could explain the intermittent situation.

3, Worn suspension component (tie rod end, ball joint, control arm bushing)

4, Least likely but plausible since your description of "vibration" is not very detailed; tires. As you shift some weight to the front tires a "broken belt" may become noticeable and manifest itself as steering wheel shake or nose wobble.
Thanks for the response!

I hadn't checked the rear discs in a while, so I will do that. Also, I just got new tires last week, and the problem didn't get any better or worse, so I don't think it's that.

The hubs don't seem to have any play in them, as we checked those the last time we got the rotors turned.

As far as it being worn suspensions components, what's the best way to check for that? Is it as simple as getting it on a rack and shaking and pulling on things, or is there a specific thing to be looking at? I'm not much of a suspension guy, so forgive the ignorance!
Old 10-16-2014, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I had this exact same issue. It was the the bolts at the top of the shock towers were just slightly loose. Search my threads, it also had some clunking sound.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah something is loose. As non-scientific as it sounds, start shaking things. You should feel/hear slack when you start shaking things.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

x2 for something being loose. A worn out component, tie rods or lower control arm bushings are what I'm betting on. Try jacking one of your front tires till it's off the ground and pull at 9 and 3 o'clock on the tire, and also 12 and 6 o'clock and see if it moves without much resistance or makes a moderate clunk sound, try with the other side also
Old 10-16-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z-camaro
I had this exact same issue. It was the the bolts at the top of the shock towers were just slightly loose. Search my threads, it also had some clunking sound.
It was this! I tightened up the bolts on my STB and 90% of the vibration is gone. There's still a little bit of shudder when I tip into the brakes, and that could be the worn suspension stuff, which I will look into, too.

Thank you all for the advice!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Outer tie rod ends will exhibit this characteristic.... with that mileage, Id look close at those.... as well as all the bushings in the UCA's and LCA's
Old 10-16-2014, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JOHNNYMO
Outer tie rod ends will exhibit this characteristic.... with that mileage, Id look close at those.... as well as all the bushings in the UCA's and LCA's
Will double check this...Thanks!

Quick Reply: Vibration under braking NOT related to warped rotors...Need some suggestions!