Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Traction problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction problems

So my car absolutely refuses to grip of a launch, even at 1500rpm it will spin first and second. When its moving it grips very well tho. Its a 99 m6 formula. It has 305 Bridgestone potenza s-04 on the back. As for other mods I didnt do any, but the gut that sold it to me said that it has an ls6 intake, kooks long tube header, hooker 3inch exhaust, an aftermarket panhard bar and LCA. What are some mods that I can do to eliminate wheel spin of the line.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad1995
So my car absolutely refuses to grip of a launch, even at 1500rpm it will spin first and second. When its moving it grips very well tho. Its a 99 m6 formula. It has 305 Bridgestone potenza s-04 on the back. As for other mods I didnt do any, but the gut that sold it to me said that it has an ls6 intake, kooks long tube header, hooker 3inch exhaust, an aftermarket panhard bar and LCA. What are some mods that I can do to eliminate wheel spin of the line.
You really need a better tire like a drag radial to even contemplate getting your car to hook from a stop or low speed. Even with a drag radial it will be highly unlikely that you will get it to hook from a stop.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-17-2014, 01:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

bolt-in LCA relocation brackets.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
You really need a better tire like a drag radial to even contemplate getting your car to hook from a stop or low speed. Even with a drag radial it will be highly unlikely that you will get it to hook from a stop.
well my friends mustang gt hooks at 4000rpm launch, there is gotta be something i can do so i can keep up with him. its quite sad that with almost double the power i cant beat him of the line.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
bolt-in LCA relocation brackets.
You have to be careful in this situation because the LCA relocation brackets along with 6 speed manual transmission can could make things worse with a subpar tire. You can over-power the tire and hit it too hard to were the car just wants to spin. Now if the OP got a softer compound tire like a drag radial than the LCA relocation brackets are a no brainer.

OP, is the car lowered at all?

Old 10-17-2014, 01:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

well my friends mustang gt hooks at 4000rpm launch, there is gotta be something i can do so i can keep up with him. its quite sad that with almost double the power i cant beat him of the line.
What tires are your friend using on his Mustang? What year is your friends Mustang? If it is a year that uses a mod motor I am not surprised that it can hook like that because they make very little torque down low so it is easier for them to hook up. Your LS1 makes considerably more torque down low than your friend's Mustang does so it will be harder for you to hook.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Launching!

You have to be careful in this situation because the LCA relocation brackets along with 6 speed manual transmission can could make things worse with a subpar tire. You can over-power the tire and hit it too hard to were the car just wants to spin. Now if the OP got a softer compound tire like a drag radial than the LCA relocation brackets are a no brainer.

OP, is the car lowered at all?
no its the stock height, im planing on updating the suspension, shocks, springs, sway bars, and so on.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Launching!

What tires are your friend using on his Mustang? What year is your friends Mustang? If it is a year that uses a mod motor I am not surprised that it can hook like that because they make very little torque down low so it is easier for them to hook up. Your LS1 makes considerably more torque down low than your friend's Mustang does so it will be harder for you to hook.
I believe he has 275 nitto nt555 on it and its a 2001 gt, 5 speed.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

no its the stock height, im planing on updating the suspension, shocks, springs, sway bars, and so on.

If you are planning on lowering the car in the future and/or getting better tires than a set of LCA relocation brackets should be on your list of things to do.

I believe he has 275 nitto nt555 on it and its a 2001 gt, 5 speed.
So your Friend has a car that makes much less torque and horsepower so it is definitely going to be easier for him to get traction compared to your car. Also the Nitto NT555 comes in a drag radial so if that what he has the tire compound is much better for traction thab the Bridgestone tires you are running.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first point I'd consider is either tires or the lower control arms and relocation brackets. If there's no luck there, a torque arm could help.

When I was at Holley LSFest, I heard from a few fast (8-9 second) Drag Radial guys running our parts that they would frequently drag rear bumper if they launched hard.

Give us a call sometime or shoot me an email and we can gladly go over some options to get you to leave that Mustang far in the rear-view!

Quick Reply: Traction problems