Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

looking for a simple 4 piston caliper upgrade. help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 03:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a simple 4 piston caliper upgrade. help please

I purchased the CPP C5 big brake kit for my 72 chevelle. The kit looks great on my car and it stops well. However, I really want to have 4 piston brakes all around and I already have 4 piston brakes in the rear.

So, This brings me to my question. Does anyone know of a simple 2 piston to 4 piston c5 caliper upgrade that will use the same rotor and brackets? I know when I purchased the brake kit they made a 2 piston upgrade from the old school single piston that used all the existing factory parts. All you had to do was remove the single piston and install the dual piston in it's place. I almost did this but decided i'd rather have the new c5 spindle and big brakes so I ordered this kit instead.

Do they make any calipers that will let me do this without switching brackets around or rotors? I am a newb when it comes to these c5 brake kits so I apologize if this is a simple question to answer, I have never owned a c5 so I don't know much about them. I've been all over google looking for answers and I'm not getting the answers I'm looking for. My request doesn't seem to be that difficult, I'm just looking for a 4 piston caliper upgrade over my 2 pistons. I am hoping there is an easy and affordable option.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:16 AM
TECH Resident

I don't think it exists but I'm in for an answer too. I believe the cheapest 4 piston upgrade out there is the CTS-V setup, but that requires new rotors, brake lines, ect. in addition to the calipers. It would be awesome for broke car enthusiasts if we could buy just a set of calipers that would fit the C5 rotors without needing anything else.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Teching In

the cts v rotors do not seem like a bad option. I can find both front calipers for ~350 bucks. Do you know if the CTS V calipers will bolt directly on to the C5 big brake setup? If they will, This may be a great option. I do appreciate the reply. I'm sure there are many people in a similar situation so I appreciate the reply as I try and figure this out. The rotors I have are 13".

Last edited by nesluopetan; 10-19-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Baer has the 4S caliper that uses F-Body pads. Might be worth a call to see. I don't think their rotor is all that much different than the C5.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is that either the rotor has to be moved inboard, or the wheels have to be spaced out / have a huge amount of spoke clearance. Look at how close the outside of your 2-piston stock calipers are to the wheels, and envision where the other 2 pistons would go.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nesluopetan
the cts v rotors do not seem like a bad option. I can find both front calipers for ~350 bucks. Do you know if the CTS V calipers will bolt directly on to the C5 big brake setup? If they will, This may be a great option. I do appreciate the reply. I'm sure there are many people in a similar situation so I appreciate the reply as I try and figure this out. The rotors I have are 13".
The V calipers will not bolt to the C5 set up. At least to my knowledge, it is not currently possible. You need to buy the 14 inch rotors that the CTS-V, C6 Z06, and gen 5 Camaro SS use. Also I believe you need new brake lines among a couple other misc parts. The 14 inch rotors may also create fitment issues with those wheels you have. Not nearly as simple as bolting new 4 piston calipers to your current C5 set up.

If you can get those Baer 4S calipers JakeFusion mentioned by themselves, that might be a great option. Or pretty much the calipers and brackets alone from any of the 12-13 inch big brake packages from Wildwood, Bear, ect. If the rotors are the same size as stock I wonder if the calipers would bolt up with the right brackets. It's something I'm going to look into myself actually.

Last edited by badformulaLS1; 10-20-2014 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: looking for a simple 4 piston caliper upgrade. help please