Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking for 95 Rear big brake upgrade suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for 95 Rear big brake upgrade suggestions

I've upgraded the fronts to C5's and now I'm looking for suggestions on upgrading my rear brakes on the cheap or somewhat cheap. I would like to go larger. I've search and search but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-03-2014, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

The rears don't really need to be upgraded. Are you doing very competitive road racing?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for replying. I don't think I want to go down that road on "if they are really needed or not". I look at the Gen 5's and new Vetts and they have larger brakes on the rear and if I know GM they are not going to add something unless its important. That said, This is a daily driver with a lot of interstate speeds and braking so I want the best in stopping. I upgraded to the C5's in the front and they work great so now I'm looking to the rear and looking for the best bang for the buck.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

There is a reason many places do not offer rear brake upgrades for these cars. Other generations of F-Bodies and Corvettes offer different size brakes in the rear that are larger than the F-Body by design. It's not because bigger is better, it's because when designing the car there are multiple variables that come into play when determining these things and they are different for the newer cars than for ours.

Read this article and it will make more sense.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

You can't compare 2 different platforms, that are in no way similar to the 4th gen f-body, other than they are front engine/rear drive cars. The f-body has a solid rear axle, and therefore has extremely different requirements for braking than those other, well-balanced IRS equipped cars. Add stronger rear brakes to a 4th gen, and be prepared to encounter axle hop under braking. It's violent, unsafe, and it destroys parts. Don't say nobody warned you when you put big brakes on the rear and the car stops like ****.

However, if you must do it for looks, run the worst pads you can in the rear in order to minimize the negative effects of too much rear brake.

My car is 95% track only, sees many track days and autocrosses every year. While I have serious hardware up front, my rear brakes are stock with some quality rotors and pads. They get hammered on lap after lap after lap, something you could never simulate at "highway speeds" you claim to need these brakes for. I've never needed anything else, and I've had Porsche owners how in the hell I could possibly reel them in so hard under braking zones.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Come on guys. Put your engineering caps on. Why does the 4th Gen LS1 have larger rears than the 4th Gen LT1 rears? And why do newer car have larger rear brakes? Obviously they help. ABS also helps cars to stop better. And newer cars with accelerometers, on board computers, magnetic shocks, and larger rear brakes help handling and stopping better. So the question still remains, has anyone done a bigger rear brake upgrade on the less expensive side? This a street performance daily driver LS1 - 375 RWH swap, 4L80E auto with AC and cruise control, which sees a lot of variables, highway speeds and stopping, sitting in traffic, hot and cold conditions, and on. I have 315'-45's on 17 x 11's on the rear. Oh and I want to keep the ABS. If the stock ABS doesn't cut it, I will go aftermarket. I want to stop better in shorter distance. Does anyone make an after market ABS or anti lock system.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by john j oliver
Thanks for replying. I don't think I want to go down that road on "if they are really needed or not". I look at the Gen 5's and new Vetts and they have larger brakes on the rear and if I know GM they are not going to add something unless its important. That said, This is a daily driver with a lot of interstate speeds and braking so I want the best in stopping. I upgraded to the C5's in the front and they work great so now I'm looking to the rear and looking for the best bang for the buck.
Assuming that larger rear brakes and more pistons will be suitable on your car just because they are used on other, entirely different cars is incredibly flawed logic. There are tons of variables.

Come on guys. Put your engineering caps on. Why does the 4th Gen LS1 have larger rears than the 4th Gen LT1 rears? And why do newer car have larger rear brakes? Obviously they help. ABS also helps cars to stop better. And newer cars with accelerometers, on board computers, magnetic shocks, and larger rear brakes help handling and stopping better. So the question still remains, has anyone done a bigger rear brake upgrade on the less expensive side? This a street performance daily driver LS1 - 375 RWH swap, 4L80E auto with AC and cruise control, which sees a lot of variables, highway speeds and stopping, sitting in traffic, hot and cold conditions, and on. I have 315'-45's on 17 x 11's on the rear. Oh and I want to keep the ABS. If the stock ABS doesn't cut it, I will go aftermarket. I want to stop better in shorter distance. Does anyone make an after market ABS or anti lock system.
Again your thinking is way off here. Your car is over 20 years old. It is not a 5th gen Camaro. It is not a C6 or C7 Corvette. It is not a "newer car" in any way. It's design and braking characteristics are vastly different than any of the newer cars you're comparing to. Factory rear brakes with some upgraded pads and rotors are all you need. Considering you want to do something cheap, you should be happy with the responses you've received.... However it seems you are more dead set on wasting your money. So you can look at Bear, Brembo, and Wildwood big break kits but be prepared to spend $1500+ on rear brakes alone. Your C5 brakes up front should do you good, or you can upgrade to CTS-V front brakes, however all you need in the rears are upgraded pads and rotors at the most. That is the best advice you're going to get on here.

To my knowledge no aftermarket ABS kit is available for f-bodies. Again, because it is simply not needed. You are way over-thinking all of this.

Last edited by badformulaLS1; 11-03-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by john j oliver
Come on guys. Put your engineering caps on.
Someone did and I posted the article that sums it up for you in a previous post. Take off your engineering cap, put your reading glasses on, and peruse it at your leisure. This company has actual engineers on hand when they develop their technology and they spell it out quite clearly for you.

If you really want to find a way to waste your money on your rear brakes, I'm sure you can find something if you look long enough. You will probably be hard pressed to find what you're looking for on this site since most of the people around here know better.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

If you think a car with 60% of its weight over the nose and a beam rear axle needs more rear brakes, then you need a hell of a lot more than an engineering cap.

Hell, lots of road racers put LT1 brakes on their cars because the LS1 stuff is too strong. But what do they know, stopping quickly, safely and reliably is only the most important aspect of a track car.

Stop comparing a 20+ year old chassis to new cars. They are radically different and need different approaches to brake systems. Tell you what, put some big rear brakes on your car if you insist they are worth it, and I will out-stop you every time with stock rear brakes. That's a guarantee.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

you can add stainless steel braided brake hoses all around (there is 4 for the rear if it has traction control, 3 without)

that right there may make a difference in braking and feel.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When he has to do a panic stop, when it REALLY matters he will get the picture that the car does not stop with the rear end hopping up and down off the ground.

Then his car show, bragging piece won't matter.

Brake hop at the 6:44 mark, this is a MILD case. This car at the time had C6 brakes on front and stock rear brakes. Pad split was pretty wide and it still did it. Raybestos ST47 on front for pads, rears were ST43's. Car still does it with Wilwoods on the front and stock rears if you hop on the brakes too hard.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 11-11-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
If you think a car with 60% of its weight over the nose and a beam rear axle needs more rear brakes, then you need a hell of a lot more than an engineering cap.

Hell, lots of road racers put LT1 brakes on their cars because the LS1 stuff is too strong. But what do they know, stopping quickly, safely and reliably is only the most important aspect of a track car.

Stop comparing a 20+ year old chassis to new cars. They are radically different and need different approaches to brake systems. Tell you what, put some big rear brakes on your car if you insist they are worth it, and I will out-stop you every time with stock rear brakes. That's a guarantee.
Quoted for awesomeness.

Ohh and I thought LS1 rear and LT1 rears are damn near the same brakes???

OP you say you want the best in braking due to your very aggressive highway shinanigans...then get a Wilwood kit from Strano ( Read Wilwood designed a Fbody kit??). But then you say you want a cheap upgrade...does not compute.

And for ANYTHING DD, you do NOT need anything more than a LS1/C5 fronts and stock rears. Look down the path of better pads and enlightenment along with success will be upon you.

Quick Reply: Looking for 95 Rear big brake upgrade suggestions