Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm broken? can i fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014 | 03:28 PM
Teching In

Default Torque arm broken? can i fix this?

So as one of morning rituals i had heat up the tires, and right as i dropped the clutch the car started shaking some, wasnt sure what it was, and it could drive almost fie, so i pulled it over took a look under my car and one of the bolts that holds the torque arm in place was GONE. i had to drive it 2 miles to get home, because i had no reception to call anyone, when i got the car up in the air, i saw that the hole for the bolt more towards the back of the car was sheered on the top, but besides that there was no damage. would i be able to try to bent the broken part back into a circle and then put a new bolt through it? I already have a UMI adjustable torque arm on its way right now, but i was wondering if i could drive it if i were to "fix" it?

Old 11-29-2014 | 03:47 PM
Launching!

You can weld a washer on top of the plate and it will hold. Of course ideally you will want a quality torque arm but that will hold for a bit. When I ripped mine apart, I welded mine up and made more passes that same day....and launching at 6k rpm.
Old 11-29-2014 | 08:00 PM
Teching In

Welding a washer could work for an emergency repair and not to be driven on hard. Make sure that the weld is very strong and the washer is thick and plain steel (don't weld zinc).

You should get a either a used arm for cheap or buy a new torque arm. Make sure the bolts are torqued correctly and have some thread-locking compound on them.

Quick Reply: Torque arm broken? can i fix this?