Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Measuring for anti roll bar help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Measuring for anti roll bar help?

So I called MWC to order a rear anti roll bar and they told me to measure my rear sway bar brackets from hole to hole on the rear end. I have a factory rear sway bar in the car now so I'm confused why they're asking for this? Does the anti roll bar not fit on stock mounting locations? I came up with roughly 30 1/2" doesnt that sound right? Its hard to measure because it isn't a straight shot.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The race style ARB has the side to side movement limited by the bushing in the brackets. The measurement of the bracket holes is important so there is no excessive movement with the ARB within it's mounts.

The MWC design is superior to the other styles out there that are mounted in a basic poly bushing. The poly bushing type mount will allow the bar to move to one side or the other which will effectively change chassis preload, and then the car will consistently try to drive to one side or the other. Correct bit and then the bar moves to the other side and so on...

Easiest way to measure bracket centers is attach some sort of plumb bob to the center of each bracket and measure between the strings

Last edited by ssvert99; 12-01-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Also, I had to elongate my holes slightly to fit on my 12 bolt. I told Eric about this but never followed up to see if the issue had been found as to why I had to do that.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99
The race style ARB has the side to side movement limited by the bushing in the brackets. The measurement of the bracket holes is important so there is no excessive movement with the ARB within it's mounts.

The MWC design is superior to the other styles out there that are mounted in a basic poly bushing. The poly bushing type mount will allow the bar to move to one side or the other which will effectively change chassis preload, and then the car will consistently try to drive to one side or the other. Correct bit and then the bar moves to the other side and so on...

Easiest way to measure bracket centers is attach some sort of plumb bob to the center of each bracket and measure between the strings
Ok I'll have to try that.

Quick Reply: Measuring for anti roll bar help?