Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension for 2000 firebird

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension for 2000 firebird

I have a 6 speed ls1 fbody and im wanting to start with the suspension. I want to start with the best stuff that will help my 60ft times and overal launch at the track. This is my dd but i want to slowly make it a drag car . I have done lots of research on here but i still wanted opinions for my specific application. I want to take off as much weight as possible. I want toget sfc either 2 or 3 point. Im going to get bolt on but eventually get them welded. I want to lower but havnt decided regular shocks or coilovers. How much of a difference will either make at the track . Panhard bar, torque arm,relocation control arms brackets for rear. And sway bars. I want about a inch lower. I know this exactly straight forward but i would pretty much just like some opinions on struts/coils, 2 or 3 point, how low should i go, and websites besides jegs or summit with good parts. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like the Viking front and rear coilovers would be good for your application. You can adjust ride height with them too. Coilovers are going to be better for wbat you want to do with the car.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Sounds like the Viking front and rear coilovers would be good for your application. You can adjust ride height with them too. Coilovers are going to be better for wbat you want to do with the car.
Ok thanks man i heard those were good. Whats do you have on your ride?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Reed Farrar
Ok thanks man i heard those were good. Whats do you have on your ride?

Stock right now. I was stupid and didn't order the Viking coilovers during the Black Friday sale. I am going to get them, but will likely just buy the fronts now and eventually buy the rear coilovers later. Either way, after a lot of research and talking to people, at least I'm 100% sure I'll be running the Viking coilovers.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Stock right now. I was stupid and didn't order the Viking coilovers during the Black Friday sale. I am going to get them, but will likely just buy the fronts now and eventually buy the rear coilovers later. Either way, after a lot of research and talking to people, at least I'm 100% sure I'll be running the Viking coilovers.
dang that sucks. I just looked at your thread and yes Vikings do seem the best especially for the money. I wish I could of got them on black friday
Old 12-08-2014, 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For shock/springs, Vikings are definitely the best bang for your buck. Versatile for drag racing/street/auto-x/road course due to adjustable compression and rebound settings. Also the ride height adjustability.

For 2 vs. 3 point - depends on your torque arm. I like my customers to have the 3pt with a short tunnel mount torque arm to help distribute the load on the floor. The 2 point is sufficient in most applications. Also choose with your budget in mind.

If you have any more questions call or email, I'd be glad to help.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

dang that sucks. I just looked at your thread and yes Vikings do seem the best especially for the money. I wish I could of got them on black friday
It seems that everyone who has them loves them. Plus, there are several guys running them that are cutting some pretty incredible 60ft times. My car is more of a street cruiser that's going to do more street racing than anything else, but will see occasional track time. Even if I was looking for a suspension setup that was 100% street, I'd still go the Viking full coilover route and run the 500lb springs in the front.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:45 PM
FormerVendor

If you guys are upset about missing the black Friday deal, hold on for our specials throughout the year. Generally Christmas is a pretty big sale weekend for us.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good to know. Any idea on dates?
Old 12-08-2014, 01:21 PM
FormerVendor

Not positive on specifics. Best way to guarantee notification of the sale is to sign up for our newsletter. On UMIperformance.com in the upper right hand corner by the shopping cart!
Old 12-08-2014, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 6 speed ls1 fbody and im wanting to start with the suspension. I want to start with the best stuff that will help my 60ft times and overal launch at the track. This is my dd but i want to slowly make it a drag car . I have done lots of research on here but i still wanted opinions for my specific application. I want to take off as much weight as possible. I want toget sfc either 2 or 3 point. Im going to get bolt on but eventually get them welded. I want to lower but havnt decided regular shocks or coilovers. How much of a difference will either make at the track . Panhard bar, torque arm,relocation control arms brackets for rear. And sway bars. I want about a inch lower. I know this exactly straight forward but i would pretty much just like some opinions on struts/coils, 2 or 3 point, how low should i go, and websites besides jegs or summit with good parts. Thanks in advance.
There is a proven combination of parts we have setup that will make your car work very well, we have had great success with our customers that are running the same basic package you would need.

Shocks are indeed one of the most important parts of the puzzle, but keep in mind not all people's needs will be covered with one particular brand of shock or suspension package.

There is a lot of debate on SFC and I can go on and on about it. Best thing I can recommend to you is that you buy a true subframe connector, not something that bolts to your suspension mounts and then doesn't even contact the actual subframe of the car. We can elaborate on that more later.

Best thing to do is give us a call and we can go over your needs and work within your budget and time frame. Spend your money right, and do it right the first time!
Old 12-08-2014, 04:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

When you guys get ready, give me a call. I have the best prices on Vikings, in sale or out of it.

As for the other components, we have a new "modular" system with a 4 point Sub-frame connector and short-style torque arm. This is a solid system that ties the whole underside of the car together really nicely and adds a tremendous amount of bracing and strength. Our new torque arm eliminates virtually every problem normally associated with a short torque arm and really is a universal solution. I can work you a pretty good deal even without it being sale time. Good enough you may not have to wait for a holiday sale. Here is a picture of the new system we have. Look it over and give me a call and we can work some numbers and see what I can get you set up with

(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-20-2015, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
When you guys get ready, give me a call. I have the best prices on Vikings, in sale or out of it.

As for the other components, we have a new "modular" system with a 4 point Sub-frame connector and short-style torque arm. This is a solid system that ties the whole underside of the car together really nicely and adds a tremendous amount of bracing and strength. Our new torque arm eliminates virtually every problem normally associated with a short torque arm and really is a universal solution. I can work you a pretty good deal even without it being sale time. Good enough you may not have to wait for a holiday sale. Here is a picture of the new system we have. Look it over and give me a call and we can work some numbers and see what I can get you set up with

Sorry I just saw this and ill give a call soon. but all I need to know is, what I need to do if I get a 9 inch. I plan on getting one soon and I know it messes with the torque arm and driveshaft and stuff. also I have a y pipe as in the picture so I wanna know if a relocationed torque arm would be even a option.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

9" is no problem if you go with one that adapts to a factory style torque arm. This is an option on most aftermarket rears. We have many customers running our components with a 9" rear and factory style torque arms.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question

Are your 4-point SFRs available for convertibles yet? If not, are they on the 2015 agenda?

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2

Old 01-29-2015, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Are your 4-point SFRs available for convertibles yet? If not, are they on the 2015 agenda?
It isn't something that has been but I have been getting quite a few request lately so it is something that I am actually going to bring up in our new product meeting today.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: Suspension for 2000 firebird