Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Does anyone make or sell K member spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does anyone make or sell K member spacers

Trying to lower the K member or raise the body from the K member. Does anyone make spacers. Also what's the max I can space it out safely? Thanks
Old 01-12-2015, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

You shouldn't do it at all but we have sold spacers in the past when big down pipes became popular and people already had aftermarket k-members.. How low do you want to drop it?
Old 01-12-2015, 11:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely not recommended. It can be done in small increments, but creates a host of other potential issues. What are you trying to clear by spacing it down?
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm trying to lower it to hopefully make this thing fit. Blower fits, just need to figure out the lid. I have both lids, seems like the ZL1 might be the better option.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wondering this as well. I know Hawk's has been doing TVS2300 units on f-bodys with a combination of spacers and notching the cowl. I've been wondering what drop would be required to get Magnuson's new Heartbeat supercharger to fit. What all issues can arise from lifting the body like this? I'm thinking of pinion angles and transmission mounts specifically. Maybe some steering linkage interference? Is there a known maximum before having issues on these cars? I haven't seen much data about this for these cars. I'd love to have a roots in my WS6.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When GM swapped the LS9 into one of their fbodys they used spacers on the k-member. I'm sure you could find more details on the car somewhere, it was posted on this site a while ago. The car is jet stream blue.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm thinking you'd be much farther ahead to notch the cowl
Old 03-12-2015, 02:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Aside from the obvious things like steering shaft length, you will also run into problems with bumpsteer and alignment. You will be changing the mounting distance between the upper and lower control arms which will changer their angle in relation to each other and the spindle. This will meant that the control arms will be at different angles in their arc of travel at ride height, and will make caster and camber changes irregularly throughout the range of travel. Also since the rack mount to the k-member, it will change your toe-rod angle and cause bumpsteer issues. These things won't be very noticeable if you do 1/8-1/4", but if you go any farther you may start getting some ill effects. Again, I would advise against it. I made this for another discussion, and rings true again here:
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Aside from the obvious things like steering shaft length, you will also run into problems with bumpsteer and alignment. You will be changing the mounting distance between the upper and lower control arms which will changer their angle in relation to each other and the spindle. This will meant that the control arms will be at different angles in their arc of travel at ride height, and will make caster and camber changes irregularly throughout the range of travel. Also since the rack mount to the k-member, it will change your toe-rod angle and cause bumpsteer issues. These things won't be very noticeable if you do 1/8-1/4", but if you go any farther you may start getting some ill effects. Again, I would advise against it. I made this for another discussion, and rings true again here:
Exactly what I was worried about. I think Hawk's did a 1/4" spacer and notched the cowl. I'm really surprised not more people are motivated to get a maggie in their f-body. Some day... I wouldn't be willing to do more than a 1/4" spacer. Nobody has messed with these Heartbeat superchargers on an F-body yet???

And I did find that article where GMPP put an LS9 in a 2000 Camaro. They too used a 1/4" spacer and notched the cowl. I believe they also had to use some modified wiper blade motors etc. However, the LS9 blower is way taller than the Heartbeat. I haven't been able to find any exact specs on it yet. One thread on ls1tech said it's 1&7/8" taller than an LS3 intake.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by apollyon_01
Exactly what I was worried about. I think Hawk's did a 1/4" spacer and notched the cowl. I'm really surprised not more people are motivated to get a maggie in their f-body. Some day... I wouldn't be willing to do more than a 1/4" spacer. Nobody has messed with these Heartbeat superchargers on an F-body yet???

And I did find that article where GMPP put an LS9 in a 2000 Camaro. They too used a 1/4" spacer and notched the cowl. I believe they also had to use some modified wiper blade motors etc. However, the LS9 blower is way taller than the Heartbeat. I haven't been able to find any exact specs on it yet. One thread on ls1tech said it's 1&7/8" taller than an LS3 intake.
I did contact Hawks and purchased the spacers. I don't think I'll be using the spacers. Just notching the cowl area. My hood arrived a few days ago, I'll start cutting soon enough.

As far as the LS9 being way taller than the heartbeat I seriously doubt that. I haven't measured a heartbeat but i can't see there being much of a difference. If anything the LS9 blower might be shorter due to the smaller IC bricks.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by supermaro

As far as the LS9 being way taller than the heartbeat I seriously doubt that. I haven't measured a heartbeat but i can't see there being much of a difference. If anything the LS9 blower might be shorter due to the smaller IC bricks.
I don't know about that... look it up for yourself. The whole point of the heartbeat is to be lower profile and fit under a stock corvette hood. If the LS9 did that, it wouldn't be a solution.

You have to cut your hood up too? Keeping wipers?
Old 03-14-2015, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by farmington
I'm thinking you'd be much farther ahead to notch the cowl
+1
why not just buzz the cowl off? is it a DD?
it'll be a weight reduction also
Old 03-14-2015, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by apollyon_01
I don't know about that... look it up for yourself. The whole point of the heartbeat is to be lower profile and fit under a stock corvette hood. If the LS9 did that, it wouldn't be a solution.

You have to cut your hood up too? Keeping wipers?
I think it's a combination of things. The Vette heartbeat might run off of the stock accessories. Not too sure on it since I'm not looking into buying a heartbeat. I do have an LS9 blower but it has the LPE snout to run with the ZL1/CTSV accessories.

If I run that one it'll fit so much easier than the 1900. But wanted for a different project. As for the coolant inlets, not sure what the previous owner was thinking but he modified them. Will have to cut the end off and weld straight inlets.

Last edited by supermaro; 03-14-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Default Spacers

Do you have pics of the spacers.?? Thanks, David
Old 04-14-2015, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Do you still have the spacer kit? How thick are they and would you sell?
Old 07-07-2015, 02:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by All Pontiac WS6
Do you have pics of the spacers.?? Thanks, David
Yea I'll take some this week.
Originally Posted by kramerpower
Do you still have the spacer kit? How thick are they and would you sell?
Yes I won't be using them.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Been tied up with work and the other projects. Finally installed the engine and decided to mock up both blowers. Still can't decide one which blower to run. Still have to install the line lock and abs elimination kit. Along with eliminate cruise control. Should be running and tuned before the end of the month.
Name:  CC99D125-24CC-42F7-80D1-6856896A22FA_zpsgkykbhzb.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  211.8 KB
Name:  9E366ED6-9235-4751-99FD-51227BBFA201_zpsc5glimxb.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  242.0 KB
Old 03-15-2016, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Any progress on this I know Im bumping a year old thread but it seems extremely awesome.

Quick Reply: Does anyone make or sell K member spacers