Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear 04 V calipers for 96 Firebird fronts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear 04 V calipers for 96 Firebird fronts?

I have successfully completed the install of the CTS-V calipers on my 02 35th. Excellent mod and an end to warped rotors and mediocre braking. The braking is insane.
I have a question that does not appear to have been covered in these threads.
I have a spare set of fixed caliper, 4-piston Brembo calipers from the REAR of an 04 CTS-V.
I also have a 96 Firebird in the works with stock rotor set-up. The 96 has even smaller rotors than the 02 SS had.
I was killing the SS rotors, so I am fairly confident I will trash the puny 96 stock units quickly.
It appears that even the rear 4-piston V calipers are heavier than the stock 96 fronts.
The cumulative diameter of 2 of the pistons on the rear V calipers is larger than the diameter of the single stock 96 caliper piston. You can see where I am going with this.
Is there any reason I can't use the rear V calipers as a super cheap upgrade to the front brakes on the 96? I would much rather be using a fixed caliper than a floating (stock) caliper. I want to replace the entire front brake set-up, so the parts cost is similar. Comments?
Old 01-12-2015, 01:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest issue is that you're going to run into mounting issues. The LT1 front brakes don't use the same two bolt pattern as the CTSV. You would have to make some brackets and do some hacking on the spindles to get the brakes to mount, in similar fashion to the C5 conversion on a LT1 car.

Honestly, I feel like you would be better off upgrading to LS1 brakes up front to start, and that will open up more options. The LS1 brakes are a good upgrade and can be done cheap.

I did the 4 piston CTSV brakes with LS1 spindles on the front of my car. I love it.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bolt pattern is the same as the ls1 brakes. So... I am assuming if I can get my hands on a pair of 99-02 spindles, they will bolt right in? The LS1 brakes are just not enough brake. As I mentioned, I will warp stock LS1 rotors in a week. Thx for the feedback.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes people swap 98+ spindles onto 93-97 cars without issue. The spindles from my old 98 went onto a friend's 94 Z28.

Quick Reply: Rear 04 V calipers for 96 Firebird fronts?