Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rack and Pinion Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rack and Pinion Question

After doing a good bit of research and asking a lot of questions, i am pretty confident about the rack and pinion swap that i will be doing tomorrow...at least i was pretty confident until i looked into the box of the new rack and pinion today lol Inside the box were these two plastic things (one has a metal thing in the middle of it) and two small o rings. Does anyone know what these are?

Old 01-13-2015, 02:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be for the power steering lines, not really sure tho
Old 01-13-2015, 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

the 2 o-rings go on the power steering lines where they bolt into the rack, you will see the old ones on the fittings when you pull them off.

the other parts "sandwich" the "ring" on the rack closer to the passenger side, the metal cylinder is what that passenger side mounting bolt goes thru and the 2 plastic pieces fit on it much like how you install a bushing into an aftermarket lower control arm, when you pull the old rack off it will make sense. it's pretty easy to do once you get the old bolts out and the power steering lines disconnected, be careful on the lines, there ends "round off" very easily.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
the 2 o-rings go on the power steering lines where they bolt into the rack, you will see the old ones on the fittings when you pull them off.

the other parts "sandwich" the "ring" on the rack closer to the passenger side, the metal cylinder is what that passenger side mounting bolt goes thru and the 2 plastic pieces fit on it much like how you install a bushing into an aftermarket lower control arm, when you pull the old rack off it will make sense. it's pretty easy to do once you get the old bolts out and the power steering lines disconnected, be careful on the lines, there ends "round off" very easily.
Cool. Thanks! Also, when I get the lines off or the old rack what is a good way to plug them up so all the fluid doesn't spill everywhere? Or should I count on it all draining? If I should just count on it all draining, how much power steering fluid should I buy to completely refill and bleed the system? Everywhere that I have looked for a power steering fluid capacity has said pretty much to just top it off lol I couldn't find an actual capacity.

Last edited by 1995_maro_z; 01-13-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a quart should do the whole system. the high pressure line shouldnt leak much and can just be hung up. The low pressure line connects to the reservoir , I would just drsin the reservoir and rebleed. New rack, I'd want fresh fluid as well
Old 01-13-2015, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redbird555
a quart should do the whole system. the high pressure line shouldnt leak much and can just be hung up. The low pressure line connects to the reservoir , I would just drsin the reservoir and rebleed. New rack, I'd want fresh fluid as well
Good deal. I'll probably just drain it then. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2015, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1995_maro_z
Good deal. I'll probably just drain it then. Thanks!
Yeah, I just put my oil catch pan under there and let it all drain out.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update:
Once i got the old rack off, i immediately saw exactly what the o rings and the other things were for and where they go lol. I got my new inner tie rod ends on the new inner tie rods in the new rack and i got the rack almost pushed back into place. Just enough to put the bolt back through the pinch clamp on the steering shaft. Tomorrow ill get the pressure lines back in and bolt everything back up and drive straight to an alignment shop lol Thanks for all the help, guys!

Quick Reply: Rack and Pinion Question