Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Deleting ABS

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Deleting ABS

Hey all. My ABS hasnt worked correctly ever since I put staggered tires (same diameter, just different widths) on my car a few years back. Ever since then everytime I would hit the brakes especially over 70mph the ABS would kick in and pedal would fight me. Last season I did a brembo brake swap for the front brakes and I literally almost crashed on the test drive. The abs wouldnt stop fighting me even at a crawl, so much so that I pulled the fuses. So onto my question. Whats the difference from me pulling the fuse which technically deletes the ABS or buying a kit from SJM? My car has had the fuses pulled for a year now.

I would love to be able to fix the problem, but from what ive read about people having all sorts of problems after they change tires or rear ends I may just have to delete it. So again, why is the kit necessary? Is it a brake biasing thing? Mine seem to be fine.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The kit isn't necessary. Its just nice to have because it gets rid of the weight of the abs block and also makes it look cleaner. Plus extra engine bay space is always nice. Also its a good thing to have an adjustable proportioning valve for guys with skinnies and fatties. The last thing is its also easier to bleed your brakes without the abs block.

but like I said the kit isn't necessary. Pulling the fuse is basically the same thing.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any way to tune out the ABS light after deleting?
Old 02-08-2015, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black tape
Old 02-08-2015, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Was posted here on the forum a little while ago... I forget who posted it though. But here is what you do,
The connector on top of the abs module under the hood, pull the light green & yellow/black wires out, snip them and ground them. That will turn the abs light off, and the brake light off.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
Black tape
^ this.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Undertow74
Was posted here on the forum a little while ago... I forget who posted it though. But here is what you do,
The connector on top of the abs module under the hood, pull the light green & yellow/black wires out, snip them and ground them. That will turn the abs light off, and the brake light off.
So ur saying if I eliminate the whole abs harness, this will not make any abs fault lights trip on??? What about when I activate the e brake? Will the light still be active?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The ABS block controls the brake bias. If you remove it, or pull the fuse, there is no control over brake bias. It is HIGHLY recommended that one is used when removing abs.

Staggered width tires will not cause abs issues, different diameters will. You have some other issue preventing your abs from working correctly.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you eliminate your ABS i would suggest putting in a manual proportioning valve. But if you ground those wires stated above, The ABS and Brake light will not come on. Yes, the Brake light will still come on when you pull the ebrake up and have it engaged.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the same thing in my truck. The ABS module was bad (very common on my model) so I pulled the fuse. I had no problem during normal braking, but under heavy braking they would all lock up (obviously). I drove it like that for about a year before I finally replaced the module.

Quick Reply: Deleting ABS