Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Motive New Pads and Rotors. Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Motive New Pads and Rotors. Help

So I had a bit of vibration when braking, and decided to replace the Rotors and pads on all 4 corners.

Worked on the Fronts yesterday and I'm now having an issue with drivers side, With the new pads and rotors on I couldnt spin the wheel. Passenger side spins freely. So I took it for a ride and it never loosened checked the temp and the drivers side was about 200 degrees hotter. I took it all apart and decided since the old pads still had some life in them but were more worn I'd put those back on and try it. Same thing only it spins a little free-er now. Still hotter than the other side, and the pedal feels softer now.

So did I do this wrong, or is there an issue with the caliper, that I didnt recognize before?

Any Ideas?
Old 02-15-2015, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

did you remove,clean,and lube the sliders(pins),if not,probably the cause.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
did you remove,clean,and lube the sliders(pins),if not,probably the cause.
x2 for the slider pins. Just bought new pins and greased them up because my car stopped with pulsations. Now it doesn't stop with as much pulsation, but I haven't replaced my rear rotors and brake pads yet either. Also clean the wheel bearing/spindle area with a wire brush where the rotor seats against to help make the rotor seat flush with the wheel bearing.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:13 PM
Launching!

The slider pins seemed to have plenty of grease on them when I re-installed the caliper, so I didnt clean and re-lube them, but I'll give that a shot. Thanks

Last edited by CO_BlackHawk; 02-15-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Also make sure the calipers are retracting properly. If even just one of the two pistons is sticking you can run into that.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Launching!

When I put the caliper back over the new pads I had to use a pair of channel locks to press the pistons back into the caliper to get it to fit. They seemed to move freely.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Finally had some warmer weather to get back to this, and it was one of the slider pins, when I took the caliper off the top pin didn't slide out, I thought it was just a bolt hole, when it really was a slider pin. Went and bought new pins, and figured out right away that there was a top and bottom pin. Had to take the bracket off and heat it up with the torch in order to get the pin out.

So now that there are new pins in there and they are greased up, they spin really easily.

So My question: the bolts that hold the caliper on and bolt up to the ends of the pin, How tight do those need to be? The pin starts turning with the bolt, pretty easily. Is that torqued enough, or do you need to clamp the pin to torque it more?

TIA
Old 03-08-2015, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Use a standard wrench to hold the pin in place while you tighten the bolt.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Use a standard wrench to hold the pin in place while you tighten the bolt.

Thanks, was able to get a small Crescent wrench in there and they tightened up nicely.

I know the front does most of the braking but wow the stock size rear pads are small.

Quick Reply: Brake Motive New Pads and Rotors. Help