Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

KYB and Koni review

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB and Koni review

I've been running the gas a justs on the rear of my 95 v6 with stock springs for close to a year now. My first impression is that they are fairly stiff and give a little 'jostley' ride in a sense going over bumps in the road. After reading reviews on how well they didn't perform on the track, I started looking into the Koni Sa's. Koni's seem to be the overhaul in track/autocross world so I found a good deal and got some 4th gen rear Koni Sa and got a rear pair of Strano springs from an Ls1tech member on here. Yesterday I did the swap and then took it for a ride.

First thing I noticed after the swap was it sat lower, granted the springs were used with 30,000ish miles on them + my car was high in the rear to begin with. My front suspension is stock, but sits slightly lower than factory look. It looks alright right now with the rear about 1/4 inch lower than the front, giving it a backwards rake feel. As far as ride quality and handling, if someone else were to replace the shocks/springs for me without me knowing, I wouldn't know a difference. I'm surprised the gas-a-justs felt controlled and stable to me, especially from reading the reviews about the night and day difference going from stock to Koni's or KYB's to Koni's. The Koni's feel the same with maybe a softer compression over bumps, but the KYB's seemed to control body roll better even with the factory v6 springs?? I enjoyed the firmness of the KYB's, I've only had this new setup for a day though, maybe I'll find it needs a break-in period. All in all, I'm impressed by how the KYB's controlled the car for $63 and would say they are a very viable option for stock replacement shocks for under $100.

I'm running a 23mm rear bar with aftermarket control arms and panhard rod with poly bushings, not sure I like the poly in the control arms but it's OK. Both of my upper spring isolators never fell down so when I put the springs in, both pigtail of the spring was facing the passengers side. In case anyone's interested.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Pretty interesting that you had a positive experience with KYBs. From how they're described on here, you'd think to stay away from them at all costs. Get ready for hordes of people telling you you're wrong now haha
Old 02-27-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChristopherWelkin
Pretty interesting that you had a positive experience with KYBs. From how they're described on here, you'd think to stay away from them at all costs. Get ready for hordes of people telling you you're wrong now haha
+1 for that

Actually just took a long way home from school today and I think they're already breaking in. More comfortable than the KYB's now. They are on the softest setting and I'm going to keep it there until warmer weather and the roads start settling down, if the roads where I live freeze at all they buckle upward and make a speed bump out of themselves. A firmer setting might tighten it up and help control it better tho
Old 02-27-2015, 04:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't see that as a positive for KYB when the car is riding no worse, and now it seems better with a stiffer and shorter rear spring on it. Says a lot for the shocks and spring combo I think.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: KYB and Koni review