Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Opinions on rear coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on rear coilovers?

What does everyone run on the rears? I've heard very good reviews of Viking, but would like other opinions. Strange, QA1's, etc. Car is a 99 Z28. TIA.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I have the Viking with the MWC brackets. They are definitely nice for the money....
Old 03-01-2015, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Old 03-01-2015, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Thanks for adding the pictures. I will honestly probably end up with those. Run Viking on the front as well?
Old 03-01-2015, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Those are fronts in the first picture yes.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Old 03-02-2015, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

There is really no cons to running a rear coil over kit, performance wise. The pros are you have ride height adjustment, also the availability to swap out spring rates if needed very easily with many options. Running a good shock and a good standard spring can have the same performance results of a coil over. I really can't think of any cons to running the kit...

The UMI kit uses the Viking shock, it is a double adjustable shock with 19 compression and 19 rebound settings. You can basically adjust the shock for drag, street and handling by just clicking. We then offer three spring rates we found best. The kits are bolt in with two holes to drill. We also include a spacer kit that allows our rear end brackets to work on most aftermarket rear ends and to work with already installed control arm relocation brackets.

Here is the kit, also below are some installation pictures as well. The last picture is the UMI test car that ran this kit all season, no hiccups!

We also have a new front kit coming out very soon, might want to stay tuned

Kit- http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=783

Old 03-02-2015, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4

Thanks for sharing the information and pictures.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nicks99z
What does everyone run on the rears? I've heard very good reviews of Viking, but would like other opinions. Strange, QA1's, etc. Car is a 99 Z28. TIA.
For years Strange shocks were the best bang for the buck when it came to quality and ease of use then Afco became extremely popular and still used by a ton of the top racers.

When Viking came around it was kind of a game changer as they have DA with 19 adjustments on compression and rebound added in with the two year warranty.

We sell a ton of all the brands still to date so if you have any questions please feel free to give us a call to help get you into what you need.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't go wrong with Vikings. They are great products at a great price, and have a ton of adjustability. However, one thing to be mindful of the upper mounts for the rears. There are 2 styles that are offered. I have heard several complaints about the stud mount top that goes through the factory shock hole. The best setup is like the bracket UMI posted that braces over to the spring pocket and has a transverse mount with the bolt in double shear and a bearing on the upper end of the shock. This eliminates binding, noise and distributes the load across a larger area. This is the style that we offer as well. Shoot me a PM and we can talk pricing and see if I can set you up with some for less than you might think
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-02-2015, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

i have vikings front and rear on my car with the UMI brackets for the rears, no complaints so far!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

No complaints on MWC style mounting at the oem shock location. No noise, no reason for it to bind, works fine for me.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

No complaints on MWC style mounting at the oem shock location. No noise, no reason for it to bind, works fine for me.
We have been selling stock style upper mount coil over from Strange, Afco, and now Viking for a long time with out issue. I'm glad you are happy with everything you purchased so far.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:25 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

If you ever do, I have a kit available to convert it over to the bearing mount style and upper plate. I have already dealt with a few people having issues with it. Enough that I went ahead and put together a readily available package
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
If you ever do, I have a kit available to convert it over to the bearing mount style and upper plate. I have already dealt with a few people having issues with it. Enough that I went ahead and put together a readily available package
Heh..... Lets take our cheerleading dresses off for a second....Lets get real. The OEM shock and spring move on a bolt or piece of rubber top AND bottom - just for reference. MWC moves on a bolt on the bottom and a rubber bushing up top. The up/down movement is huge, lateral is near zip. It could be near hard mounted and I wondn't really see the issue. Imagining a rear end articulating.....no need for a bearing mount in my mind.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh..... Lets take our cheerleading dresses off for a second....Lets get real. The OEM shock and spring move on a bolt or piece of rubber top AND bottom - just for reference. MWC moves on a bolt on the bottom and a rubber bushing up top. The up/down movement is huge, lateral is near zip. It could be near hard mounted and I wondn't really see the issue. Imagining a rear end articulating.....no need for a bearing mount in my mind.
agree...to me this would be quieter
Old 03-03-2015, 08:33 AM
Teching In

thanks everyone for the replies. sounds like Viking is the winner here. will be in contact soon about them!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

For those that are not concerned with noise that a solid upper mount will create we also offer an upper mount to convert to a bearing and been doing it for years but most street driven vehicles choose to do rubber mount upper. We have been selling Strange and Afco rear coil over conversion shocks for years with stud mount upper and now that we are selling Viking we sell them the same way unless while discussing an order with a customer we go to bearing top.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Brands aside, I am just not a fan of supporting the weight of the vehicle by a single stud through sheetmetal. I made this known before we ever got into the rear coilover game. The factory shock supports no weight, only movement dampening. The coilover puts both stresses on a single point.
As for lateral movement, the control arms and torque arm will swing on an arc, so any compression or rebound of the rear suspension will make the axle move forward and back some. True, not much, but enough that it does need to articulate. Granted the front uses a similar design, it also floats in a large isolator bushing, in a heavy plate mount.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-03-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

All true, and good points. Its just, the backs of these cars aren't heavy, and though I haven't looked closely, I suspect structure is similar around the OEM coil and shock locations at the body, and we know they reside physically close to each other. Meaning, if the area for the spring pocket is reasonably stiff, and the shock mounts a few inches from it, its reasonably safe to say thats not paper thin.

Quick Reply: Opinions on rear coilovers?