Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-13-2016, 02:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Ctsv 6piston brake swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ctsv 6piston brake swap issues

Ive been working on my ctsv brake swap that I originally saw on gm high tech. So I bought all the parts that they used figuring that there would be no issues. I read some of the concerns of the z06 rotor size being an issue but never saw any hard evidence of it. But after finally installing the brakes on my car its apparent that the z06 rotor is way to small. the brake overhang on the outside is atrocious.

Ive seen acouple guys on here do the swap with the gen5 brake rotors with good success I think. But all of the gen1 V guys and the gen5 camaro guys that do this brake swap are all using the ctsv rotors with the swap. So is there a reason I cant use the ctsv rotors for this?

Has anyone done this swap on a 4th gen with the ctsv rotors? anyone have any measurements that can throw at me?

Id like to be sure of proper fitment before I go waste my money on more rotors again lol.

Heres some pics of the rotor fitment and some measurements I could find off a 5th gen with ctsv rotors.
Attached Thumbnails Ctsv 6piston brake swap issues-caliper-front.jpg   Ctsv 6piston brake swap issues-brake.jpg   Ctsv 6piston brake swap issues-wheel.jpg   Ctsv 6piston brake swap issues-unnamed.png  
Old 03-18-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rdd014camaro
Ive been working on my ctsv brake swap that I originally saw on gm high tech. So I bought all the parts that they used figuring that there would be no issues. I read some of the concerns of the z06 rotor size being an issue but never saw any hard evidence of it. But after finally installing the brakes on my car its apparent that the z06 rotor is way to small. the brake overhang on the outside is atrocious.
That doesn't look like the rotor is too small to me. At the bottom of your first pic, it appears the caliper and rotor are in direct contact with each other and at the top, there is about an inch gap. Is the caliper properly centered and slid onto the rotor? Your third pic looks about right to my eye. I'd guess you'd need like 1/4" gap between the edge of the rotor and the inside arc of the caliper (others: please chime in).
Old 03-18-2015, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Ya its just the angle of the picture making the caliper look like that on the rotor. It is centered... the issue is on the second picture if you look closely you can see the brake pad over hangs the caliper by probably 1/2 and inch. Due to the fact that the diameter of the z06 rotor is just to small for that caliper. I dont understand how people run this setup with improper brake/rotor matching.... anyways enough rant im just trying to figure out if anyone has tried running a ctsv caliper on this set up.... if only i could borrow one to see lol
Old 03-18-2015, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

And i kept saying caliper... i meant rotor lol
Old 03-18-2015, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Ya its just the angle of the picture making the caliper look like that on the rotor. It is centered... the issue is on the second picture if you look closely you can see the brake pad over hangs the caliper by probably 1/2 and inch. Due to the fact that the diameter of the z06 rotor is just to small for that caliper. I dont understand how people run this setup with improper brake/rotor matching.... anyways enough rant im just trying to figure out if anyone has tried running a ctsv caliper on this set up.... if only i could borrow one to see lol
Here is my install I did last month.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-calipers.html

I used Camaro SS rotors and then had the centers of them bored out to match the stock rotors holes. They fit perfect. I didn't use the Z06 rotors due to the same rotor being used on both sides and I wanted the caliper to fit perfect. Also because the Z06 Rotors do NOT fit perfect with the CTS V 6 piston caliper as you found out. They work yes, but the pad wear will be uneven. ONLY the SS Rotors do.

As far as the CTS V rotor... I've not seen any build use them. I wouldn't chance it and the SS Rotor is just as nice. You can get the SS Rotors for about 70 bucks delivered for one piece or find a nice set of 2-Piece at any vendor on here. Any shop can bore the rotor out fairly cheap.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blaine123
Here is my install I did last month.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-calipers.html

I used Camaro SS rotors and then had the centers of them bored out to match the stock rotors holes. They fit perfect. I didn't use the Z06 rotors due to the same rotor being used on both sides and I wanted the caliper to fit perfect. Also because the Z06 Rotors do NOT fit perfect with the CTS V 6 piston caliper as you found out. They work yes, but the pad wear will be uneven. ONLY the SS Rotors do.

As far as the CTS V rotor... I've not seen any build use them. I wouldn't chance it and the SS Rotor is just as nice. You can get the SS Rotors for about 70 bucks delivered for one piece or find a nice set of 2-Piece at any vendor on here. Any shop can bore the rotor out fairly cheap.

Hey ya you were actually one of the guys I was talking about with the SS rotors lol. I wasnt so much interested in ctsv calipers as I was to the rotor diameter and which of the 2 (ctsv or SS) fit better. I dont know the actual difference in size between the 2... I dont think they are that different.

Do you have any pics of the rotor at the top where the brake meets like my #2 picture. I just wanted to see how much rotor you had over the brake pads.

Thanks for the help
Old 03-19-2015, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Hey ya you were actually one of the guys I was talking about with the SS rotors lol. I wasnt so much interested in ctsv calipers as I was to the rotor diameter and which of the 2 (ctsv or SS) fit better. I dont know the actual difference in size between the 2... I dont think they are that different.

Do you have any pics of the rotor at the top where the brake meets like my #2 picture. I just wanted to see how much rotor you had over the brake pads.

Thanks for the help
I don't have any pad overhanging the rotor at all. I'll have to take a photo with the wheel off this weekend if I can't squeeze a photo with the wheel on when I get home tonight.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also you cannot use the CTSv rotors as the lug pattern is different. From what I have read, I would go with the SS rotors. I have the gen 1 4piston calipers with Z06 rotors and have alittle bit of overhang, but car has been driving fine for the last couple of years, I do not track it though.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
Also you cannot use the CTSv rotors as the lug pattern is different. From what I have read, I would go with the SS rotors. I have the gen 1 4piston calipers with Z06 rotors and have alittle bit of overhang, but car has been driving fine for the last couple of years, I do not track it though.
The bolt pattern between the ctsv and ss camaro is actually the same (5x120). The hub is the only thing that needs modifying to fit our 4th gens. If you look at the last picture I posted that is a 5th gen with ctsv rotors and calipers on it.

I'd love to try the ctsv calipers just to try and see if they work but I'm not going to fork over the money to get my hands on one... Since other guys have used the SS rotor with success I'm leaning towards using it anyways....

Now that leaves me with some brand new z06 rotors I need to get rid of if anyone is interested
Old 03-30-2015, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Thought I'd give an update on my delima. Since after measuring I saw no reason the ctsv rotors wouldn't fit I went ahead and bought a pair. And they fit perfect!
So for future break swappers. If your doing a 6piston ctsv swap use the ctsv rotors! The pad and rotor meet perfectly and fit on 18inch wheels. Ill do a full write up when I'm all done just thought id sum up my delima.
Attached Thumbnails Ctsv 6piston brake swap issues-image.jpg  
Old 03-30-2015, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

And since I suck at posting pics here's some more
Old 03-30-2015, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Brake/rotor on the top
Old 03-30-2015, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Brake/rotor on the top
Did the hub need to be modified to fit the CTS V rotors on? What year rotors?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Yes hub needed machining a bit from the machine shop the hubs between the ctsv and 5th gen camaro are the same. And any 2nd gen ctsv 14.6inch rotor from 2008-2014 will work. They're all the same. The brake/rotor contact with the 14.6inch rotor is perfect with the caliper. No modification needed.

Last edited by rdd014camaro; 03-30-2015 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Incorrect info
Old 03-30-2015, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome setup, but just to clarify, I don't think those are 15in rotors.
I'm pretty sure they are 14.6in. Same as the ZL1 rotors.
Here is a good reference to all the different size rotors available from GM.

http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=333

Centric also lists the rotor as 370mm.

I'm curious because I'm looking for a 15in rotor that I can bolt onto my C5. If that is actually 15in it would save me a lot of money.

You didn't happen to measure it did you?

Last edited by Phoenix64; 03-30-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Phoenix64
Awesome setup, but just to clarify, I don't think those are 15in rotors.
I'm pretty sure they are 14.6in. Same as the ZL1 rotors.
Here is a good reference to all the different size rotors available from GM.

http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=333

Centric also lists the rotor as 370mm.

I'm curious because I'm looking for a 15in rotor that I can bolt onto my C5. If that is actually 15in it would save me a lot of money.

You didn't happen to measure it did you?

Ya looks like your right. I'm pretty sure i read my measurements off of Wikipedia or something which would explain why it was wrong lol. Glad you caught that so I wouldn't keep spouting off wrong rotor sizing. Yes they are identical to zl1 set up. They are just gen2 ctsv rotors and brakes.

Last edited by rdd014camaro; 03-30-2015 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-31-2015, 07:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Is there a link to the article you mentioned, I think im gonna try this and want to look at the parts list.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Is there a link to the article you mentioned, I think im gonna try this and want to look at the parts list.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/bra...-tires-wheels/

Here it is. Great write up. I followed everything they did to the T and used all the parts and brake lines they used. But as you've seen from my trials and errors. Do NOT use the z06 rotors. Use the second gen ctsv rotors and you'll be golden.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Preciate it!, always wanted to do a big brake kit but kept putting it off. Hopefully they fit my wheel without a spacer but since its not my DD i got nothing but time.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a million for measuring that! Got my hopes up, but Looks like I'll need a different rotor for the C5.

If I ever wear out these 14in brembos, I'm definitely going to your setup.

Quick Reply: Ctsv 6piston brake swap issues