Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can I fit rear Z06 calipers and rotors on 02 WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I fit rear Z06 calipers and rotors on 02 WS6?

Need to find out if I can fit Z06 calipers and rotors on my 02 WS6:
a) Is this mod worthwhile, meaning will I feel a difference in braking?
b) Can I retain my emergency brake
c) Any mods to fit the caliper onto the stock bracket?
d) Is the z06 rear rotor larger than rear WS6 rotor?
e) If "d" is yes, how can I use the larger z06 rear rotor on my WS6?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!
Old 06-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

The Z06 rear calipers and rotors are identical in every way to the stock WS6 brakes. The only upgrade to the stock setup would be that they are painted red. It is only an apperance mod for the rears.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002BlueWS6
The Z06 rear calipers and rotors are identical in every way to the stock WS6 brakes. The only upgrade to the stock setup would be that they are painted red. It is only an apperance mod for the rears.

Really? I didn't know that. I thought for sure they were different calipers if anything?? What's the difference btw the Z06 front calipers and the C5 Calipers? Is it just paint?
Old 06-04-2004, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
What's the difference btw the Z06 front calipers and the C5 Calipers? Is it just paint?
Z06 are red, C5 are grey. Thats it.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

But the front Vette caliper, albeit the same size as the F-Body caliper it is a better and stronger unit.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

I think the C5 and Z06 calipers have six pistons compared to our four? Not too sure but I know that there is not difference between the stock C5 system and the Z06 system besides the paint
Old 06-04-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 2002BlueWS6
I think the C5 and Z06 calipers have six pistons compared to our four? Not too sure but I know that there is not difference between the stock C5 system and the Z06 system besides the paint
NOPE . . . the C5 Calipers are only four piston units. The only difference is the colors . . .
Old 06-04-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
NOPE . . . the C5 Calipers are only four piston units. The only difference is the colors . . .

Actually, they all (F-body, Corvette, Z06) have 2 pistons per front caliper. They are not 4 or 6. Sorry. They are however "pressure cast" (not really forged, but formed under some pressure) where the F-body calipers are simply gravity cast (just plain cast). The vette units are stronger, but you won't see any preformance increase for street use.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Vette calipers also have smaller pistons compared to an F-body. I do not consider this to be a good thing.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Why do people consider upgrading to a C5 brake system as an improvement? No argument here, just trying to figure out why people do this.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bill99hawk
Why do people consider upgrading to a C5 brake system as an improvement? No argument here, just trying to figure out why people do this.
The 13" rotor is an improvement. The calipers, unless you are road racing, are not.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

I meant - 2 . . . . . where the hell I came up with four is beyond me . . .
Old 06-07-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I meant - 2 . . . . . where the hell I came up with four is beyond me . . .
I figured you did. Just wanted to clarify early (before anyone got the wrong idea).
Old 06-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Teching In

I just completed my Z06 front and rear caliper upgrade and this is what I found.........

1) I bought the adapter brackets from Bob Bishop (which are perfect to be honest) and therefore I upgraded the front rotors as well. everything fit perfectly as long as you are running at least a 17" rim for clearance issues.

2) the rear calipers are identical to the f-body EXCEPT, the anti-rattle spring that pushes down on the caliper is different and the grooves on the caliper that it fits in is different. When I installed the rear Z06 calipers, i had to go to my local chevy dealer in a emergency and buy a whole set of rear pads just to get the correctly fitting anti-rattle spring for the caliper. The rear pads are same width except, the vette pads are just a little shorter in length and the f-body pads also have a little nub at the top of the metal backer whereas the vette pads don't.

This was done on my '02 Camaro SS........let me know if you have any other questions while it is still fresh in my mind...

Peter
Old 06-07-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WIKDSS
I just completed my Z06 front and rear caliper upgrade and this is what I found.........

1) I bought the adapter brackets from Bob Bishop (which are perfect to be honest) and therefore I upgraded the front rotors as well. everything fit perfectly as long as you are running at least a 17" rim for clearance issues.

2) the rear calipers are identical to the f-body EXCEPT, the anti-rattle spring that pushes down on the caliper is different and the grooves on the caliper that it fits in is different. When I installed the rear Z06 calipers, i had to go to my local chevy dealer in a emergency and buy a whole set of rear pads just to get the correctly fitting anti-rattle spring for the caliper. The rear pads are same width except, the vette pads are just a little shorter in length and the f-body pads also have a little nub at the top of the metal backer whereas the vette pads don't.

This was done on my '02 Camaro SS........let me know if you have any other questions while it is still fresh in my mind...

Peter

Great info Peter!!

Now, do you feel the rears are worth it? It seems as though there is less surface area on the C5/Z06 rear brake pads than the stock LS1's? Leads me to believe they won't stop/grip as well... rear rotors are same thickness and diameter, offset?

Also, do you feel you have more nose dive in your car now during braking?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Teching In

SilverSmoke,

I haven't noticed much of a difference as of yet because i'm still in the "seasoning" stages of the pads and therefore, i've been pretty easy on the brakes, like I usually am. I don't drive my car much to get the mileage on there quickly. So, as of right now, i do not feel much of a difference, but, I can say that it isn't any worse than it was. As far as the rear rotors are concerned, I've been told that they are the same, maybe a hair thicker, but, all seems fine. All the calipers were bled 3 times each for assureness, and everything works perfectly, no complaints about doing it at all.

on a side note.....THEY LOOK AWESOME!

Quick Reply: Can I fit rear Z06 calipers and rotors on 02 WS6?