Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bolt on master cylinder brace (vendors welcomed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bolt on master cylinder brace (vendors welcomed)

Does anyone make a bolt on master cylinder brace for 4th gen f-body's? I was looking under the hood and noticed that the firewall is flexing a lot when pressing on the brake pedal. The firewall flex is bad enough that the brake fluid cap is actually making contact with my after market hood (vfn sunoco hood), and the sticker on the cap is peeling off now . I looked online but I only found one, but it was for an aftermarket master cylinder.

A master cylinder brace would give you a more solid brake pedal and also give you better feel of the brakes since there won't be any flex. You guys will be surprised how much firewall flex there is when getting on the brakes. If you want to see for yourself pop open the hood and look at the master cylinder while someone else steps on the brake pedal, the pos has a lot of flex.

Here is a picture of a master cylinder brace for an import vehicle. With the way the master cylinder sits over the shock tower on the 4th gens, it looks like it would be easy to make something similar that would bolt on to the shock tower and hold the master in place. Perhaps a vendor can step up to the plate and make a bolt on master cylinder brace for 4th gen f-body's..... maybe bmr, umi, strano or mwc.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:18 AM
Teching In

I'm interested as well.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe make one out of steel or aluminum angle stock?

After monkeying around with various brake and clutch options, I ended up with a big hole in my FW, which I covered with a 1/4 inch aluminum plate. This, incidentally, also firmed up the firewall. Maybe you could do something similar. Ignore that arrows, those were for illustrating a point in my build thread.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do want to make a plate, but I do not feel like doing it until I have to replace the booster. For the time being I would like to get a bolt on brace, but it seems like we really have no options out there.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have them for the Strange manual master, are you trying to do this with the factory unit?
Old 08-05-2015, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssvert99
We have them for the Strange manual master, are you trying to do this with the factory unit?
Yes, i'm trying to get a bolt on one for the factory unit, but I can't find any.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

you can (or anybody else) fab up a brace that bolts onto the factory master cylinder mounts and ties into one of the strut mounting bolts
Old 08-05-2015, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

A necessary product for these cars. They are so damn flimsy.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The pic you posted is from an STI, I have one that REQUIRES that brace. The brace is not because the firewall flexes, they all do.

This particular chassis (08+ WRX/STI) has a class action suit going on because the firewall and pedal assembly separate when the pinch welds crack. The brace is a Band-Aid as I know from experience. The only way to really fix the Subaru problem was to pull the dash, pull the pedal assembly, weld the broken pinch spots, then BOLT the pedal assembly and firewall back together. Fun stuff driving when the clutch pedal slams itself to the floor but doesn't release, and brake pedal travels all the way to the floor without applying pressure to the calipers.

In case of the fbody, there aren't as many bracing points in the engine bay to run off of that will effectively hold the master in position. Add plates to the firewall or find something to triangulate off of in the engine bay. Might need to weld brace points to the upper strut tower, then another down on the fender, then something against the cowl overhang for lateral support.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've actually found this interesting and made a mock-up brace for the 4th gen. I have the mock-up sitting in the garage right now and it's waiting to be drawn up on Solidworks, just whenever I get the chance to at school I could draw it up to spec and 3D print it out right at school. My car would be the test subject and I might finalize it from there.

I've also found a local metal plant in town that will custom-make stuff for whatever you have on Solidworks and I could send in my little project to them and have them weld up a brace for me. Honestly I don't think it'll dramatically improve pedal feel a whole lot, but it'll be a cool project for me when winter hits. Maybe if others are interested as well I could get a head start...
Old 09-23-2015, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

come on guys make one , ill be a guinea pig .
Old 09-25-2015, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I was having someone bleed my brakes the other day and noticed this as well. It was a little alarming though obviously it's nothing new, just something new to me. I would prefer it being braced. I may make something up....
Old 09-27-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if it's all cars or just some that flex. Getting ready to bleed my brakes. If mine flexes, I'd be in the market for one.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

So it's been out for a couple years. I guess this thread just kind of got lost but in case anybody is still interested and doesn't know about it:

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=269&ModelID=7

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
The following users liked this post:
rentedmule (12-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Bolt on master cylinder brace (vendors welcomed)