Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best way to cut through a bushing

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to cut through a bushing

Gonna replace my lower control arm bushings and I know it's going to be a nightmare to try to get the vertical one out. I'm going to bypass all of the hitting and pounding and go straight to the cutting.

Now what's the best way to do it? Sawsall, angle grinder? Diamond blade or metal cutting blade or of the sort
Old 08-11-2015, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
Gonna replace my lower control arm bushings and I know it's going to be a nightmare to try to get the vertical one out. I'm going to bypass all of the hitting and pounding and go straight to the cutting.

Now what's the best way to do it? Sawsall, angle grinder? Diamond blade or metal cutting blade or of the sort
What we used to do on the older cars ( 1970 Nova, etc.) was to use a propane torch and burn the rubber, that gets rid of the inner sleeve and the rubber. Then I would take a saw and cut ( carefully) the outer sleeve. If you work it right, a few cuts and you can collapse the sleeve ( hammer and chisel) thereby avoiding any chance of cutting in to the control arm.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

torch it out
Old 08-11-2015, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diamond sawzall blade is what I used. Seemed to work good.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvett z07

Piece of cake. Press out the center rubber, saws-all the bushing sleeve being careful to not cut into a-arm. Then use a chisel to roll the sleeve inward - and it will fall right out.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably should've specified what I was trying to do lol - remove the bolt that goes through the vertical bushing. I'm guessing that it's frozen to the inside of the bushing sleeve (1995 with 170k and most things rusted to smitherines...)

Found this: Read this if you need to saw out your front lower arm bushing! This helped me out as what to expect and how to tackle the job head on.

Thanks for the tips on how to actually take the bushing out, unfortunately I'll be taking the pansy way out and having a local Napa shop press in/out all the lower control arm bushings and ball joints I'd get way too frustrated dealing with those without a press

Quick Reply: Best way to cut through a bushing