Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Vikings w/UMI Lower A-arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
A set of longer endlinks will most likely cure it too.
I have added over 1/2" worth of washers already

Originally Posted by scj
Is the car aligned? If not the control arm could not be in the right position in the slotted parts of the k member causing it to do this if you follow what I'm saying. The further out bound the a arm is the more it will put an angle on the end link causing it to touch. On another note however, are you planning on jumping the car because I highly doubt you'll ever get that much suspension travel unless you're planning on jumping it. (Seriously) let the suspension compress and it'll be a mile from that ****.
Yes the car is aligned. I need to be able to place the car on a hoist or jack stands and let the suspension hang without damaging the adjusters.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The pictures here are all full droop which is when the bar would get closest to the shock's ****, and they still aren't close and I've seen no evidence that they've touched.

The control arm mounts the sway bar in the same place as stock. The bar mounts in the same place as stock. What's different here is there is a shock that has a **** that is decidedly not stock. BUT remember the car has a swaybar stock, that mounts in the same place. Mind you the stock bar is smaller in diameter which buys you 5mm overall diameter or 2.5mm per side. But again, there is is the simple fact the bar is above the shock *****.

This really is a lot to do about nothing. And in the end, just turn the shock around if you are really worried about it.
The evidence is in the photos above. They clearly show the bar resting on the adjuster ****.
And no you can't turn the shocks around since the adjusters will then hit the shock mount perch on the back side. So yeah its kind of an issue!
But hey thanks
Old 12-13-2015, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Juice,

Were you able to find a fix for this? I was planning on running the exact same parts you are running now viking coil overs, 35mm Strano, with UMI lower a-arms, but not if this an issue for this exact combination.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by No Juice
It was suggested since the sway bar hits the adjuster ***** at full hang or full extension.

And of course when talking to different aftermarket companies, they all point fingers at the other companies as to why things don't fit.
How often do you think it's really going to be at cull droop?
Old 12-13-2015, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
How often do you think it's really going to be at cull droop?
Uh.....lots??

Name:  12272535_895635840554646_113943675_n_zpsu4cgkoh2.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  84.2 KB
Old 12-14-2015, 08:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by No Juice
I have added over 1/2" worth of washers already
The end link in my opinion still looks short. I think a longer end link set would cure this. Below is what would come with a UMI bar which should be a very similar pattern to the Strano bar:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-19-409-bl

Just a thought by looking at the pictures.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TX98Z28
No Juice,

Were you able to find a fix for this? I was planning on running the exact same parts you are running now viking coil overs, 35mm Strano, with UMI lower a-arms, but not if this an issue for this exact combination.
No not yet. Car is up on jackstands to replace the axles. So not likely until spring now.

I'm going to start by going back to stock alignment specs. Right now we only put a degree of camber into it. May need to fudge a few other things to make it work. However, I know for a fact that the sway bar is not bent symmetrically side to side, so that's not helping either. If that doesn't work, I'll have to try a new bar.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Ok let's try this once more.

You are running shocks that have things that stick out into a location that no other shock sticks things out into. That said, I have never, EVER had anyone else say this was a problem. And frankly it shouldn't be any issue what-so-ever given the proximity of the ***** to the bottom of the shock. I don't know what is happening here unless somehow you ended up using a rear endlink (much shorter) on the front of the car.

Now we all agree that a longer front link would solve the issue, simply and easily. Just get a longer link. Get one 2" longer than what I supplied if you want to make a ton of room, and that will solve the issue as it will move the bar up relative to the control arm and bottom of the shock.

Mind you I still can't figure out why you just don't turn the shock around and have the ***** point inward, seems that is another very simple remedy to the problem that only seems to exist here.

This is the first I'm reading of more negative camber. The bar is only so wide, and the more you put the arms out (either via a k-member or lengthening the shank length of the arms) the more you push the bottom of the shock and the adjust that sticks out, closer to the endlink. That won't change no matter who's bar is in there.

As for the bar and it's symmetry. All the bars go in a jig, there is only one jig. And again, nobody else is having any issue let alone this issue, and I know there are others with my bar and Vikings or QA1's on their cars.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-16-2015, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

You are running shocks that have things that stick out into a location that no other shock sticks things out into. That said, I have never, EVER had anyone else say this was a problem. And frankly it shouldn't be any issue what-so-ever given the proximity of the ***** to the bottom of the shock. I don't know what is happening here unless somehow you ended up using a rear endlink (much shorter) on the front of the car.
Ummm.....QA1's, KYB's, strange, Afco all have roughly the same ***** in this location. I'm running the end links you sent with the bar.

Now we all agree that a longer front link would solve the issue, simply and easily. Just get a longer link. Get one 2" longer than what I supplied if you want to make a ton of room, and that will solve the issue as it will move the bar up relative to the control arm and bottom of the shock.
Haven't had a chance to do so yet, its winter here. However, both you and UMI stated to me that you want the ends of the bar to be parallel or as close to parallel to the ground as possible. So, even the 1/2" I've added has moved it away from that. The fact remains that I shouldn't need to, something else is going on, which I'm still trying to figure out.

Mind you I still can't figure out why you just don't turn the shock around and have the ***** point inward, seems that is another very simple remedy to the problem that only seems to exist here.
And if you would read, you'd see where I said that it doesn't work. The ***** hit the back side of the shock mount.

This is the first I'm reading of more negative camber. The bar is only so wide, and the more you put the arms out (either via a k-member or lengthening the shank length of the arms) the more you push the bottom of the shock and the adjust that sticks out, closer to the endlink. That won't change no matter who's bar is in there.
Yeah, and I'll spend the money come spring to have it returned back to stock alignment specs in hopes that's the issue. I can't believe 1 degree is going to gain me 1/2" of clearance, but hey you guys are the "experts". Oh and just so you know, GM's bar fits just fine.

As for the bar and it's symmetry. All the bars go in a jig, there is only one jig. And again, nobody else is having any issue let alone this issue, and I know there are others with my bar and Vikings or QA1's on their cars.
Lets not forget both the rear bar and front bar were purchased and shipped at the same time. The original rear bar snapped two end link bolts because the angle at which the ends were bent was so out of spec. You agreed, and admitted you got a bad batch from Helwig. You sent me a new rear bar and I've never had a problem since.

When I talked to you, you told me that you didn't know of anyone else with this combo and that you couldn't plan for every combo out there, fine I understand that, but now all of a sudden you know there are others.

I tried to keep this to phone calls or PM's and simply asked if there was a possibility that the front bar "might" have had the same issues as the rear bar from Helwig. You got all butt hurt and defensive because someone questioned your "quality control". Just admit you have none, the ******* bars got shipped directly from Helwig. There is a 10 degree difference in how the bar is bent at the ends where the links mount to, hence why I made the phone call.

I haven't even contacted you since then. I'm eliminating all other possibilities as to the cause of the issue, as YOU suggested ! If at that point, there is still a clearance issue, then I guess its on me to buy another bar, but we won't know until spring.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Don't worry about him, he gets cranky sometimes.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

this may be a dumbass question but is the swaybar centered relative to the frame?

Quick Reply: Vikings w/UMI Lower A-arms