Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

creaking noise when turning steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Default creaking noise when turning steering wheel

This problem has been present for the last year. It started on one side and was pretty quiet. It was a squeek more than anything but over the last year has progressed to a very loud creaking noise with any amount of movement on the steering wheel. It is also on both sides now. I put the car up on jackstands and turned the wheel end to end and it was completely silent. Still, I lubed everything I could see.

I have UMI RR K-member, UMI non adjustable lower a-arms, koni shocks, original springs and sway bar (and bushings I think...). Everything looked tight and in one piece. I have no idea what it could be. It sounds like the noise a creaky door makes when you open it reeeaaally slowly. It will sometimes make the creaky noise when I hit bumps slowly with wheels pointed straight, too.

Last edited by AdsoYo; 11-07-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you have an LT1 4th gen, did you check the steering shaft 'rag joint', as these ALWAYS seem to go bad on these cars??

There are companies which make rag joint eliminators for your bird IF that is the problem.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just read up on the rag joint. That sounds like more of a steering play solution than noisy steering solution. It sounds like I might as well go LS rack and pinion when the time comes anyway. The noise also seems to be coming from both wheels but since it's totally silent when the suspension is unloaded, I haven't been able to locate exactly where it's coming from yet.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not so sure that the LS racks will work on an LT1 car.

I believe that the angle of the steering shaft mount off of the rack is TOTALLY different between the LS and the LT 4th gens.

Did you check to make sure that the ball joints and tie rod ends are well greased, IF you have replaced ones with a zerk fitting and not the original, sealed factory ones.

If the latter, check them to see if they are binding/shot.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dry tie rod end? I didn't see you mention that at all. My Trailblazer sounded really creaky after it had been in the shop for an alignment and new tie rod end put on, found it was because they forgot to grease it. Pumped it full and it quieted right up.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't know that could happen to tie rod ends. I guess it's narrowed down to those and the ball joints then? Pretty sure they're not stock ball joints. I did all this suspension back in 2007 and haven't even touched it since.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, check all those, grease them if they haven't been (assuming they have grease fittings).
Old 11-10-2015, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Yeah, check all those, grease them if they haven't been (assuming they have grease fittings).
MOST of the aftermarket replacement ones do have the zerk fittings (I KNOW the Moogs do).

Not sure about dealer/GM, or AC Delco though.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

got the car to the suspension shop and they said since it creaks with the suspension loaded and is silent when the car's in the air, it's dry ball joints. They shot some grease into the joints and now it's quiet as a church mouse!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Called it!

Quick Reply: creaking noise when turning steering wheel