Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

qa1 help

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default qa1 help

Ok guys I've got a 2000 z28 with qa1 coilovers up front and qa1 out back as well. My question is my car hooks like a mad man but as soon as I let off the front end drops hard and my tires rub inside the fender wells on the plastic inner fenders. Should I adjust the ride height or should I stiffen the strut. I bought the car the way it is but if I put me and a passenger they rub super easy and it jerks the steering wheel around (kinda scary). New to the car/suspension so any help is appreciated!
Old 12-02-2015, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A better quality shock with adjustable rebound and compression valving should help your issues.

Viking Performance, Strange. and Afco are the standout brands for your application. Give us a call we will be glad to help!
Old 12-02-2015, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Since your already have the Qa1's installed already, you might as well mess with them while they're in there. If you end up not getting the driveability you want with those shocks, then go ahead and purchase a better suited coilover, or higher spring rate, depending on your budget.

I'd start by adjusting the compression up a bit. A good starting point would be in the middle, then go softer or firmer from there. Adjust the ride height up if it looks absolutely slammed. But I think you should be able to get a decent aggressive look, at least better than stock, with that setup
Old 12-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Teching In

I really hate to change out my coilovers. These work well for my current setup and they are brand new. I'm going to stiffen them up a bit. The car does sit very low so I may have to raise the height up a bit.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

I would look into what spring rate is on the front as well as adjusting the shocks. The spring rate should be marked on the spring.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QA1 is notorious for recommending soft spring rates.If you bought them off the shelf chances are the spring rates are too soft.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000z/28
Ok guys I've got a 2000 z28 with qa1 coilovers up front and qa1 out back as well. My question is my car hooks like a mad man but as soon as I let off the front end drops hard and my tires rub inside the fender wells on the plastic inner fenders. Should I adjust the ride height or should I stiffen the strut. I bought the car the way it is but if I put me and a passenger they rub super easy and it jerks the steering wheel around (kinda scary). New to the car/suspension so any help is appreciated!
Single or double adjustable?

-- Ramey
Old 12-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
Single or double adjustable?

-- Ramey
I'm guessing single they only have one **** on them. They were set at 3 and I adjusted them all the way to firm and it's better but for now I think I'll raise them up a hair and set them more in the middle for street driving.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000z/28
If you get a chance to go to the strip I would try the fronts set at 1 from full soft and the rears set to full stiff. The rear setting would be extreme but the rebound being so high would theoretically hold the weight transfer longer.

If the front is too soft upon landing then creep up on the front setting to stop that from happening without losing the soft rebound.

We tend to drive single QA1's on the street set at 6 but of course all cars and springs and drivers are different.

ramey
Old 12-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
If you get a chance to go to the strip I would try the fronts set at 1 from full soft and the rears set to full stiff. The rear setting would be extreme but the rebound being so high would theoretically hold the weight transfer longer.

If the front is too soft upon landing then creep up on the front setting to stop that from happening without losing the soft rebound.

We tend to drive single QA1's on the street set at 6 but of course all cars and springs and drivers are different.

ramey
Ill give it a shot thanks ramey!

Quick Reply: qa1 help