Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni SA shocks

I've had Koni SA shocks on stock springs for about ~53k miles. Initially they had noticeably superior body control / damping characteristics compared to the 50k deCarbons from the factory. Over time, I've noticed the Koni's are starting to feel more like the deCarbons than the awesome shocks they once were (or maybe I'm just used to them!). The rears are 1/2 turn from full soft and fronts are 4 sweeps from full soft.

Questions:
1. Is this normal for them to wear like this? If so, would it be covered under the lifetime warranty?
2. What exactly wears? Can adjusting the rebound toward full hard help?

Also, I've inspected all of them and non are leaking. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Those thoughts passed my mind as well, except in a different way, sort of.

I installed mine with lowering springs and had the shocks set at 8 sweeps from full soft. To say the least it was incredibly stiff from the get go. Now I live where the roads aren't the greatest and are a little rough, but I could take a road I usually drive on at 80mph through a few turns and this was with 170k decarbons and 220lb springs. After I put the new shocks and springs on, I tried that same road at 80mph and I had to back down to about 73mph because the front end was skipping all over the place because it was so stiff. It did eventually get much softer though after about 300 miles, but I still backed it down 2 sweeps because it couldn't go over the bumpy roads I live by without getting twitchy.

So I'm guessing that they are quite stiff new, and eventually get, not necessarily softer, but more compliant throughout the break in period. Performance wise, it stayed the same from day 1 vs 3000 miles later for me, just got better at handling road imperfections without the initial jolt of hitting a bump. I also got used to the stiffer ride now and prefer it to any other car I've driven in so far.

Adjusting the rebound will definitely help. I have my rears set at 1 and a quarter turns from full soft and that compliments my front set at 6 sweeps from full soft very good, with my setup that is, all setups are different here. That's the beauty of adjustability , not many people run the rear that high, yet it works for my application. I'd go with 2 sweep increments for the front and 1/2 turn increments for the rear and see where you go from there
Old 12-07-2015, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
Those thoughts passed my mind as well, except in a different way, sort of.

I installed mine with lowering springs and had the shocks set at 8 sweeps from full soft. To say the least it was incredibly stiff from the get go. Now I live where the roads aren't the greatest and are a little rough, but I could take a road I usually drive on at 80mph through a few turns and this was with 170k decarbons and 220lb springs. After I put the new shocks and springs on, I tried that same road at 80mph and I had to back down to about 73mph because the front end was skipping all over the place because it was so stiff. It did eventually get much softer though after about 300 miles, but I still backed it down 2 sweeps because it couldn't go over the bumpy roads I live by without getting twitchy.

So I'm guessing that they are quite stiff new, and eventually get, not necessarily softer, but more compliant throughout the break in period. Performance wise, it stayed the same from day 1 vs 3000 miles later for me, just got better at handling road imperfections without the initial jolt of hitting a bump. I also got used to the stiffer ride now and prefer it to any other car I've driven in so far.

Adjusting the rebound will definitely help. I have my rears set at 1 and a quarter turns from full soft and that compliments my front set at 6 sweeps from full soft very good, with my setup that is, all setups are different here. That's the beauty of adjustability , not many people run the rear that high, yet it works for my application. I'd go with 2 sweep increments for the front and 1/2 turn increments for the rear and see where you go from there
I'm glad someone else finally verified it's not just me with my Koni /Strano setup. Very firm. Rough roads in Ca. are horrible. It's been 8000 or so since I installed it. Still very firm. I believe the stiffer springs are the difference on mine. Still stiff. Rear is on full soft and front is three sweeps from soft. I still enjoy the hell out of it. But yeah rough roads are just that. I think after some better sways I'll love it more. But nothing can be done for rough roads. Your going to feel them on a better handling f-body. You'll feel them on a stock f-body you'll just have less control. My combo handles the rough road really well it just doesn't feel cool. Lol
Old 12-15-2015, 04:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Everything wears, including shocks. In fact the adjustment that Koni Sports have started out as a wear compensating tool 50+ years ago, so yeah if they feel a little soft, turn 'em up a little bit.

Don't go crazy, 1/4 turn of the rear or 1 sweep up front is a tangible difference. This is one of those things that the Koni Sports give you the ability to play with and are part of what makes them the premier replacement shock for this car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Everything wears, including shocks. In fact the adjustment that Koni Sports have started out as a wear compensating tool 50+ years ago, so yeah if they feel a little soft, turn 'em up a little bit.

Don't go crazy, 1/4 turn of the rear or 1 sweep up front is a tangible difference. This is one of those things that the Koni Sports give you the ability to play with and are part of what makes them the premier replacement shock for this car.
Thanks for the advice! I'll give that a shot.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Sure thing!

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Koni SA shocks