Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the relocation brackets for the driver side ready i need them like yesterday!! For real.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We don't have them quite ready yet. We made a few tweaks and heading to Goodguys Columbus with them this weekend.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
IF anyone is road coursing their f bodies with a 9, they may not have a choice?

(Does the Fays 2 even fit on a stock, or fabbed 9 " axle???)
I was told it should work with a Moser 9" or a 12 bolt based on axle diameters. There are already clearance issues with those though add in the extra weight and that's why I went fab9. I'll be able to speak about fab9, tubular lcas, coilovers kit, watts and 22mm rear sway with much more confidence after I confirm my thrust angle on the alignment rack today.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:25 PM
FormerVendor

Here's a few updates on some of the newer products.

The UMI-Strano shocks are continuing to do well. Afco stopped in last week to check out our projects and to help us continue to develop. We have some cool things in the works.

The Panhard bar leveling kit is working good to. However we have found the weak points of the car and are working on reinforcements for the kit. Street tires and street driving seem a-ok, track use with 315 200TW tires changes things. The panhard bar mount on the rear end flexes a TON, we mounted a Go-Pro to see this, it then cracked. We are working on some fixes for this.

Lastly, we are continuing to work on the upper a-arm with more clearance, similar to a factory. We've been having some clearance issues with lots of camber. Sam suggested we go back and re-look at a stock upper and make it clear like that, so we did.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you guys are working on a fix for the panhard bar mount. I am eagerly awaiting this fix as I have been dealing with the upper and lower bars contacting for a few years now.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:18 PM
FormerVendor

Here's a look at the higher clearance upper a-arms we built. They look very similar to our older a-arms but allow 3/8" more travel, it's very similar to factory now. They will have caster built in and negative camber. We moved the tubes around to clear the upper a-arm mount, the upper a-arm mount was giving us trouble when running lots of negative camber.

If you look at the first picture you can see witness marks where our other a-arm was starting to hit. Now keep in mind a normal car isn't going to hit like this, this is from extreme conditions and really maxing the travel. This car takes a pounding from us and this is how we learn.

We will be running these a-arms this week at the Motor State Challenge which includes a day at Gingerman Raceway.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much camber/caster are you shooting for? I'm guessing there are other benefits as well, but I'm able to get some pretty aggressive specs with just and adjustable lower.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by blackandgold
How much camber/caster are you shooting for? I'm guessing there are other benefits as well, but I'm able to get some pretty aggressive specs with just and adjustable lower.
Our goal is 7 degrees out of the box. We will also shorten it slightly to allow more camber. Once we get our next event out of the way we will have more info on this. The rod ends our a benefit since the allow smoother front suspension travel, less deflection is always better.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did I read somewhere that UMI is working on lowering springs? If so how will the rear rates compare to stock? I'm looking to use the rears for a drag race application.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Dark SS
Did I read somewhere that UMI is working on lowering springs? If so how will the rear rates compare to stock? I'm looking to use the rears for a drag race application.
Yes sir we are, they are actually 90% complete and will be available to ship soon. We have pictures of our car we just need to finish as well. I will have them posted soon.

Rates are 600lb front and 200lb rear. I am extremely impressed with the ride as well. For a true test we installed a set on my step mothers 2002 and she said the car feels like it is on rails and she loves it.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Yes sir we are, they are actually 90% complete and will be available to ship soon. We have pictures of our car we just need to finish as well. I will have them posted soon.

Rates are 600lb front and 200lb rear. I am extremely impressed with the ride as well. For a true test we installed a set on my step mothers 2002 and she said the car feels like it is on rails and she loves it.
Thanks for the response. Sounds like they are more tailored for autoX with the higher spring rates. Might be a bit too stiff for drag racing, no?
Old 08-12-2016, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the response. Sounds like they are more tailored for autoX with the higher spring rates. Might be a bit too stiff for drag racing, no?
You would definitely want some softer rates and a different style of shock for the strip since you'll be more worried about weight transfer.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:55 AM
FormerVendor

Yes and no, excellent street driving manners with the ability to autocross well.

For drag race you want softer, maybe stick with stock rear rates and run a coil over up front? That is my recommendation for a drag car.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

are the new UMI springs going to be basically Strano springs?

How is the panhard bar leveling kit coming along?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:44 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
are the new UMI springs going to be basically Strano springs?

How is the panhard bar leveling kit coming along?

Thanks.
Nope, different springs. Built by a different company, different rates and maybe a tad bit lower.

The kit is coming, we had to make some changes to add more support to the factory mounting brackets. It's very close.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2016, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes and no, excellent street driving manners with the ability to autocross well.

For drag race you want softer, maybe stick with stock rear rates and run a coil over up front? That is my recommendation for a drag car.
That is my plan. DA coil over up front, DA shocks in the rear. I just want to bring the rear of the car down a bit.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would these coilovers mount to the Racecraft upper a-arm mounts?

http://www.racecraft.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=361
Old 08-22-2016, 08:11 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by szalkerous
Would these coilovers mount to the Racecraft upper a-arm mounts?

http://www.racecraft.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=361
There is a good chance it would but I couldn't guarantee that. The bearings are 1" wide with 1/2" hole and spacers are easily made if needed. So very good chance it would clear.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Which of the coil over kits is best for replacing the stock setup on a 98 Z28?
Old 08-28-2016, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kicksZ28
Which of the coil over kits is best for replacing the stock setup on a 98 Z28?
Thats an extremely vague question, like asking "what is the best cam" or "what is the best exhaust". Best is relative to what you want to do with the car.
What are you looking to achieve(ride, handling, dragracing)? What is your budget? What don't you like about the stock setup right now that you would like to improve?

Quick Reply: What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!