Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update on what UMI has been working on this past year and what we are excited about for 2016.

Three years ago UMI got heavier into autocross and road race events, using UMI company cars as test beds and not relying as much on customer feedback and testing. This has taught us so much over the past few years and has really allowed us to enhance our products while developing new products for these applications.

The new product list:

UMI branded shocks and coilovers. Available double or single adjustable:
- UMI has teamed up with three other industry leading companies to offer a shock/coilover kit specifically designed for autocross and road race applications. The shock itself is built in Indiana, USA by Afco. The supplied springs are wound by Draco, the leading sprint cup spring manufacturer and built in Texas, USA. The valving is the fun part, UMI teamed up with SCCA champion Sam Strano of Strano Performance Parts to offer a shock we feel is specifically designed for competition use. The curve differs from many shocks on the market while the price point of the shock will still be reasonable. A single adjustable shock will feature fixed compression and 42 rebound adjustments. A double adjustable will feature 22 compression and 42 rebound adjustments.

UMI Front and rear coilover kits:

- Front and rear coilover kits will be supplied with upper and lower bearings in the shock to eliminate deflection, no polyurethane mounts. The upper front mount attaches to the car using UMI brackets that eliminate the rust prone GM rubber spring mount. Both front and rear coilover kits are 100% bolt in. Front shocks will also be available with t-bars from factory lower a-arms or previously purchased a-arms.

UMI Adjustable upper a-arm:
- The new adjustable upper a-arm allows quick and easy on-car adjustments for caster and camber. This makes it easy to run up to 8-9 degrees of caster and 2.5 to 3 degrees of negative camber (these numbers may require the complete kit). This also eliminates the need to use the lower a-arm for alignment, allowing the lower a-arm to be locked in place in the k-member.

UMI heavy duty boxed lower a-arm with coilover mounts:

- When purchasing a full package our new boxed lower a-arms will come with double shear shock mounts, mounting the bearing mounted shock directly to the a-arm eliminating the t-bar. Boxed a-arms will also be supplied with a USA built rod ends, premium ball joints and swivel style sway bar end link.

UMI road race k-member:
- The UMI road race k-member still maintains the proven design we have used since day one. Small visual changes have allowed us to reduce some weight over past designs while still maintaining the structural strength we require. The road race k-member is supplied with anti-slider a-arm mounts that prevent the a-arm from sliding in the adjustment slots.

I am sure I have missed a few things, please ask away and we will be here to answer. Shortly we will have pictures of the rear coilover kit and new items installed. The development is still in the works but almost complete. Thanks for looking.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

When will the upper arms be available for purchase? Been waiting for a proper handling-oriented UCA for years.

Last edited by 79_T/A; 12-15-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
When will the upper arms be available for purchase? Been waiting for a proper handling-oriented UCA for years.
This should be good for early next year, February. We still have a little more fitment to do. We will keep you posted on this for sure.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice!!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ohhhh baby! I might have to sell my setup for this next February! I've seen some custom valved Afcos on a Trans Am at the local course and can those shocks ever perform well! Looking forward to these next spring
Old 12-15-2015, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

hmm....great now I've got a third contender in my koni vs ridetech internal debate.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very excited for the new equipment. When can we hear more about the coilovers i.e. spring rates and pricing?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:02 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Very intrigued with the upper arms. Everything looks top notch.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm building a road race car now, I was set on koni 4/4s until I read this. I may be picking up a whole front end now haha. Can you PM me pricing on the front and rear coilover kit, as well as the upper and lower A-arms?
Old 12-16-2015, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the interest everyone.

We are very excited about these products and this project. Both the Koni shocks and Ridetech shocks are awesome shocks. For those of you looking at Koni 4/4's through Strano Performance these new UMI shocks will be available through Strano too as well as all the UMI products.

Pricing isn't set in stone yet but below can give you a good idea. I will be the first to say that nothing is going to be "cheap". We designed these items for 130mph+ speeds on a road course so we aren't cutting corners and I don't think you as the customer want us too either.

Front and rear UMI coilovers, single adjustable kit will be $1,550.00
- This includes all 4 UMI shocks, 4 springs and all the mounting hardware and brackets.

Front and rear UMI coilovers, double adjustable kit will be $1,990.00
- This includes all 4 UMI shocks, 4 springs and all the mounting hardware and brackets.

Boxed a-arms- $750.00 a set
- These will include Aurora rod ends

Adjustable upper a-arms. $400-500
- I haven't been able to run any production time on these yet.

Road Race K-member- $800

The entire front end kit as shown in the first image with double adjustable shocks would be $3,000.00.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:05 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's important to note the first version of this kit won the Syracuse Nationals auto-x this season. We have since made the kit better and better. Looking forward to more wins in 2016.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:27 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

I think you guys have the best K-members out there. I'm really surprised you haven't released a "Turbo" K-Member yet. I'm sure it would do very well for you.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

NICE!

The coil over bodies are based on Afcos, correct?

ANY chance that an upgraded (from the Fays 2) Watts Link will be showing up in the future, as well as possibly a decoupled torque arm (even though Sam thinks that they {decoupled TAs} are more useless than strut tower braces/sub frame connectors)??
Old 12-17-2015, 07:24 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dailydriver
NICE!

The coil over bodies are based on Afcos, correct?

ANY chance that an upgraded (from the Fays 2) Watts Link will be showing up in the future, as well as possibly a decoupled torque arm (even though Sam thinks that they {decoupled TAs} are more useless than strut tower braces/sub frame connectors)??
Correct, shock built by Afco to UMI and Strano's specs. Also Made in the USA.

We do have one of those three items on the radar and has been drawn up and tinkered with a few times.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I am in the market for shocks too.

I already have your RR K member, and boxed lowers. Currently been running the Koni SA 4/4s with a coil over kit, but want to move up a step or 2. Currently use a Global West uppers, but I am intrigued by getting 4 more degrees out of the caster. We managed 2.2 on camber with the current arrangement.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

It would probably be hard to make a business case for a de-coupled torque arm due to cost, but damn does it work awesome.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice!
Are these things gas charged?
How does the adjustments work, similar to viking/QA1 or more like Koni, penski etc.?
Old 12-17-2015, 07:34 PM
Banned

There are three models of UMI shocks to choose from. The damper in the photos above is a double adjustable twin-tube with a low pressure gas bag. We will also offer a 125psi rebound adjustable monotube and a 125 psi canister/double adjustable monotube deluxe unit.

The single rebound adjustable monotube will be very cost effective and provide a simple way to tune chassis timing for competition use. The double adjustable twin tube will satisfy the competitor who desires to have compression damping adjustment while also still being very cost efficient. The low rod pressure of the twin tube also helps promote "feel" which some drivers find desirable as an alternative to a 125 psi monotube.

Sam has tested heavily for us and we have the ranges adjusted (now on the 4th set of valving) so the 550 lb/in front and 150 lb/in rear rates are damped right in the middle of the adjustment range. This should allow us to move spring rates up and down slightly without running out of adjustment.

Our plan is to have UMI Strano valving available directly through us or through stranoparts.com so either outlet can provide other quality parts in addition to awesome dampers.

ramey
Old 12-17-2015, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Will we be able to order with different spring rates? The 550/150 is a great upgrade, but I think more of the hardcore guys would like a more aggressive spring rate. Especially those of us with watts links (and lowered panhard rods).

Also, any early adopter discounts?
Old 12-17-2015, 08:47 PM
Banned

Yes on the spring rates. We will have other Draco's available while Sam prefers Hypercoils. Both brands are ultra premium spring solutions.

I'm not in on the pricing. That will be up to Ryan (our prez) and/or Sam...

Quick Reply: What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!