Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

81 v8 steering linkage in a v6 car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 v8 steering linkage in a v6 car?

Didn't find this in a search. Does anyone know if the 81 camaro v8 steering linkage will fit with the v6 installed, or how much won't fit?

I have an 81 with a v6 (229) and am planning on replacing it with an LS-something. I thought I'd do the suspension, brakes, and steering linkage first. The part numbers for the v6 and v8 linkage are mostly different. But will it fit? I'm assuming I want the v8 linkage for the engine swap.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With yours being an 81, you should have a steering box with metric connections. This means it will connect directly with a C5 high pressure hose, without needing converters.

If you search around here, you should find a couple threads focused on which GM muscle car era power steering boxes were "best." IIRC, the 80/81 Z28 box was best, along with any 305 SBC powered TAs. They had the tightest stock steering ratio. Check out this article for a quick reference: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis...g-box-upgrade/

If you think you're going to switch out your steering box anyway, you might be best served by going with a late 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee box and putting your pitman arm on it. They have more of a "rack and pinion" feel, and a tighter steering ratio than any muscle-car era box. Other than the pitman arm swap, it should be a direct bolt-on upgrade. I got one at the boneyard for $40.

But, don't just take my word for it. Do a little research before making any mods. Like everything, there are trade-offs.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link. I will be replacing the power steering box with a 12.7:1. What I have has over 200K miles of sloppy. I hadn't thought about the pitman arm sweep. That's about the only part that is shared with the v8. I was wondering if there are clearance problems with the rest of the linkage. When it's all done, it might see a track day or two.

Quick Reply: 81 v8 steering linkage in a v6 car?