Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pro Fab Tubular K-member is in!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 11:12 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SSonyoursix, I am awar of the things you are talking about but you are making it seem harder than it is an of course it is always better to let an experienced person or pro do it but it does cost money and that is a touchy area to a lot of these guys ETC... So I am aware of all the things that can happen when working cars. But like you said the K-members are nice when it comes to working on these cars and I've been using those poly mounts with great success on keeping people's Y pipes from banging ETC... The motor mounts are another reason I bought the BMR and I know they are a little more but they have been working for me. They are great for D/drivers. SSonyoursix go get $5 and head to the car wash that car is filthy! You could problably shave another .02 off your ET with the weight savings from getting rid of all that dirt LOL! Just a joke, but you did give very good clear pics so I had to mention it.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chino_man279
Which bolts need to be replaced with longer ones? I assume a standard grade 5 bolt will not do? I placed an order for one yesterday, but have not heard back from Pro Fab. Can't wait to get it in and the motor running again.

Joe
Yeah, I just used some simple stainless steel bolts with locking nuts... bout 1.5-2 inches long. they are the 4 bolts at the base of the motor mount... the ones on the stock K-member thread into a plate on the stock K-member, so all you ahve are bolts when removed and no nuts...
Old 06-15-2004, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by v8maro
Could you detail / list your own steps for doing it?

So this is direct bolt-in?

-Steve
Direct bolt in.. however I was on a lift so I skipped a ton of steps just because I could... plus I forgot my wheel lock key so I had to make a few short cuts since I couldnt get the wheels off

Far as the write up the one on BMRs site is the best way for beginners because it is step by step the whole way!
Old 06-15-2004, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Inspector12
SSonyoursix, I am awar of the things you are talking about but you are making it seem harder than it is an of course it is always better to let an experienced person or pro do it but it does cost money and that is a touchy area to a lot of these guys ETC... So I am aware of all the things that can happen when working cars. But like you said the K-members are nice when it comes to working on these cars and I've been using those poly mounts with great success on keeping people's Y pipes from banging ETC... The motor mounts are another reason I bought the BMR and I know they are a little more but they have been working for me. They are great for D/drivers. SSonyoursix go get $5 and head to the car wash that car is filthy! You could problably shave another .02 off your ET with the weight savings from getting rid of all that dirt LOL! Just a joke, but you did give very good clear pics so I had to mention it.
I had just washed the top of the engine with degreaser, so all the junk dripped to the bottom

Far as the install, im just trying to save the guys that have attempted intakes and headers by themselves, but never really torn down suspension stuff before... Ive recieved MANY phonecalls at midnight begging for help from guys that are pretty good with cars, but either lack the correct tools, or broke a part that now needs a tool, or didnt know they needed something else...

Example - The engine mounts... not all people own a die grinder or air hammer to get the rivets out, nor a drill with a bit capable of cutting through steel like that, let alone 10 times to get the holes drilled out! Then the rubber scraping, again needs either a torch or a die grinder... When it comes to the A-Arms, a large pry-bar is helpful to move stuck arms out of place, especially like mine that had 75,000 miles on them! Some also dont have a pitman arm separater for the steering arms and using a hammer can smash the threads on top and make it not possible to thread a bolt on there...

What im getting at is the half *** methods using the incorrect tools, or rigging parts can lead to some HUGE issues with the car... you are dealing with important things like the steering assembly, brake lines, engine mounts and engine position etc... all it takes is one wrong move to snap a brake line, or rip a wire harness out, or damage the steering assembly etc...

The job isnt hard by any means, but it DOES take experience to do a job like this, as well as more than your $99 craftsman tool kit... specialty tools REALLY help in a job like this!
Old 06-15-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

Oh, and on a side note... DO the poly mounts! World of difference and even with my G5X3 cam the car doesnt vibrate at all!

In addition please keep in mind the car will need to be aligned when you finish the K-member install, and if you are not within a mile or two of an alignment shop then you will basically have to set the castor/camber, and toe by yourself... doing this incorrectly could make the car dangerous to drive!
Old 06-15-2004, 01:27 PM
10 Second Moderator

I've installed quite a few BMR's and I don't know what you are talking about qith fitment cause all of mine went in like the factory K-member with no issues? I even installed one on a car that had been wrecked bad and it still went in with out to much trouble? The BMR had the motor mounts welded in place and they lined up perfect for me? Of course I am sure everyone has there opinion and this is just been my experience with the BMR never had anyone want any other type around here. I have installed them a few different ways but I have done it just like BLT FED with the exception I used a floor jack under the oil pan with a 2x12 under it and I have used the engine hoist too. They all work and I know you said not to leave this to the weekend warriors but Black Beasst did it and if he can any one can with a little time JMO? Good luck to everyone installing K-members and if you need them installed in the Houston area let me know I can do it or anything else for that matter. Seeya!!!!!!!
I aggree, my BMR unit fit like a glove and I had it done in one day. I drove to the alignment shop next morning
Old 06-15-2004, 07:04 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

SSonyoursix I just think you are being to careful about information. Sorta like there is some secret trick to the install or something. It is not that hard and I bet I could do it with one of those $99 craftsman tool sets along with a hamer, floor jack and a couple of jack stands. The alignment issue is not hard at all I always set mine up right in the middle and they are not that far off every time? So that is all I am saying. It sounds like to me you must be around a lot of people that do not know much I guess that is not the case with me. Oh and about that issues with the tie rod ends I never even take them off if that is all I am changing. You also said you saved money on your K-member but if you don't want to use the stock (Cast Iron) motor mounts then you have to BUY them from someone like Spohn ($145.00) ETC... which adds to the cost if you want the weight savings. That is how I justify the extra money for the BMR and not having to chase down bolts and nuts. JMO. And everyone has one of them. See you later guys.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

What did you guys do with your brake line routing. I was thinking about making up some brackets, and using some adells off of the rack. My main concern was out by the wheels. Mine is an lt1, so it might be a little different.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Sweet Cheeks

I just used some thick black zip ties and secured the lines to the k member. It worked fine for me.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:03 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I did the same (Tie wraps) I am planning on drilling an tapping som bolt holes for clams though I just haven't done this yet. I am not sure whitch K-member you used but I was able to use the factory bracket right by the wheels that is secured by a 10mm bolt. Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Got one from E-bay.Sweet deal!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2004, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by chino_man279
Which bolts need to be replaced with longer ones? I assume a standard grade 5 bolt will not do? I placed an order for one yesterday, but have not heard back from Pro Fab. Can't wait to get it in and the motor running again.

Joe

Any word on what size bolts are used?

John
Old 06-21-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

actually, it's shorter bolts you need.. lemme find it again...

12mm x 1.75, 40 or 45 mm , can't remember which length. you need 4 of 'em... the rear two bolts you can re-use.

www.boltdepot.com
Old 06-21-2004, 07:12 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think SSonyoursix is being fair. If you have all the right tools and a lift or the proper lifting equipment, this job probably isn't bad at all. But if you live in an appartment, car carry all your tools in a milk crate and your only source of lifting your car is the factory jack, then this is a definite no-no for the do-it-yourselfer.

Another example is, if you can't change your own plugs in less than an hour, don't try this.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by angst911
actually, it's shorter bolts you need.. lemme find it again...

12mm x 1.75, 40 or 45 mm , can't remember which length. you need 4 of 'em... the rear two bolts you can re-use.

www.boltdepot.com

Thanks
Old 06-22-2004, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

SSonyoursix I just think you are being to careful about information. Sorta like there is some secret trick to the install or something. It is not that hard and I bet I could do it with one of those $99 craftsman tool sets along with a hamer, floor jack and a couple of jack stands. The alignment issue is not hard at all I always set mine up right in the middle and they are not that far off every time? So that is all I am saying. It sounds like to me you must be around a lot of people that do not know much I guess that is not the case with me. Oh and about that issues with the tie rod ends I never even take them off if that is all I am changing. You also said you saved money on your K-member but if you don't want to use the stock (Cast Iron) motor mounts then you have to BUY them from someone like Spohn ($145.00) ETC... which adds to the cost if you want the weight savings. That is how I justify the extra money for the BMR and not having to chase down bolts and nuts. JMO. And everyone has one of them. See you later guys.
I used poly motor mounts and stock cast iron mount mounts so all I paid for was the poly mounts... and while you may be able to do this, many others cant... Why dont you post your phone number up so you can help them all when they get in a bind... id rather be safe than sorry and im sure many others would as well.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I think SSonyoursix is being fair. If you have all the right tools and a lift or the proper lifting equipment, this job probably isn't bad at all. But if you live in an appartment, car carry all your tools in a milk crate and your only source of lifting your car is the factory jack, then this is a definite no-no for the do-it-yourselfer.

Another example is, if you can't change your own plugs in less than an hour, don't try this.
Thanks!

Im not discouraging do-it-yourselfers... however this isnt an air filter change or an intake manifold swap... large amounts of dammage can occur if this is done wrong, and once you are halfway done, theres no turning back, and imagine the risk of leaving an engine on a jack stand and the damage it can do if that drops overnight... just looking out for others. I will always share my install secrets to anyone that wants them and I have nothing to hide... but this is definatly an advanced install
Old 06-22-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

I am interested in your install shortcuts. Could you post them or pm me.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:38 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
BTW... did the passanger side motor mount today because I only brought one with me friday when I did it... took me 20 minutes tubular K-members rock!
That justifies the price of the K-member right there. I have never seen a car that was harder to change motor mounts on than the F-body.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
That justifies the price of the K-member right there. I have never seen a car that was harder to change motor mounts on than the F-body.
thats why I bought them

Quick Reply: Pro Fab Tubular K-member is in!