Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

1999 Trans Am Rear brake setup (New to LS1Tech)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Trans Am Rear brake setup (New to LS1Tech)

Hello all I am curious what after market rear brake setup people are using on their 99 Trans am. I recently bought the Baer Claw Pro front Disc brake kit and am wanting to change out the stock rear brakes also. Anything would be helpful. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hektikbones
Hello all I am curious what after market rear brake setup people are using on their 99 Trans am. I recently bought the Baer Claw Pro front Disc brake kit and am wanting to change out the stock rear brakes also. Anything would be helpful. Thanks a lot.
Why do you want to replace your rear brakes? What do you plan on doing with the car? Drag? Road course/auto-x? Just street driving?
Old 01-23-2016, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Why do you want to replace your rear brakes? What do you plan on doing with the car? Drag? Road course/auto-x? Just street driving?
Thanks for the reply, I have been trying to figure out how to move my post to the right forum section. The car currently has Trick Flow GenX 215 heads, D1SC Procharger kit, Eagle forged Crankshaft, Howard's cam 274/286 Lift .612/.638, F.A.S.T 102mm LSXR intake, billet 92mm TB, forged internals, and other misc parts. I just want to make sure I have solid stopping power for my build, will be a daily driver.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hektikbones
Thanks for the reply, I have been trying to figure out how to move my post to the right forum section. The car currently has Trick Flow GenX 215 heads, D1SC Procharger kit, Eagle forged Crankshaft, Howard's cam 274/286 Lift .612/.638, F.A.S.T 102mm LSXR intake, billet 92mm TB, forged internals, and other misc parts. I just want to make sure I have solid stopping power for my build, will be a daily driver.
Just checking, really the only time to replace the rear brake calipers with something else is for fitment reasons when running smaller wheels in the back for drag.
The stock rear brakes are PLENTY on these cars, enough so that with good brake pads it will lock the rear end up and cause brake hop under heavy braking, obviously something you don't want to happen. Its not that they are strong, its the 3link rear suspension design plus front bias weight distribution. Making the rear brakes stronger is really only going to make this issue worse. The guys that are road racing and standing on the brakes at 100mph+ are running strong front brakes and stock rear to combat it and having no issues stopping the car in time. Get good PADS in front (not ceramic) and good BLANK rotors (drilled rotors crack).
Old 01-23-2016, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Just checking, really the only time to replace the rear brake calipers with something else is for fitment reasons when running smaller wheels in the back for drag.
The stock rear brakes are PLENTY on these cars, enough so that with good brake pads it will lock the rear end up and cause brake hop under heavy braking, obviously something you don't want to happen. Its not that they are strong, its the 3link rear suspension design plus front bias weight distribution. Making the rear brakes stronger is really only going to make this issue worse. The guys that are road racing and standing on the brakes at 100mph+ are running strong front brakes and stock rear to combat it and having no issues stopping the car in time. Get good PADS in front (not ceramic) and good BLANK rotors (drilled rotors crack).
Good to know I will keep that in mind, I appreciate the info.

Quick Reply: 1999 Trans Am Rear brake setup (New to LS1Tech)