Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What kind of panhard bar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What kind of panhard bar?

So I'm thinking about picking up some LCA relocation brackets, LCAs, and a panhard bar for my 98 Z28. This car is strictly a street car but I am looking for grip and do plan on running some 305/45/18s and I've read that with wider tires. an adjustable Panhard does help.

So if I am looking at a low noise solution and don't need every adjustment in the world since this is simply a street car, what kind of bar do I need? The last thing I want to do is spend money unnecessarily.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Usually the only reason to replace the Panhard is for the adjustability and being able to center the rear under the car. (Very necessary if car is lowered)

If you decide not to get an adjustable id advise you to spend the money else where. Chances are you'll need the adjustable sometime down the road
Old 01-23-2016, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the double adjustable panhard bar from UMI with roto-joints on both ends. So far I have been happy with it. There is no change in noise or vibration. I got it because I am about to put on some springs that will lower the car a bit.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess my main question is why would you want to go with a double adjustable over a single adjustable? My car is currently lowered but I'm going back to stock ride height due to exhaust clearance issues.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Whisper
I guess my main question is why would you want to go with a double adjustable over a single adjustable? My car is currently lowered but I'm going back to stock ride height due to exhaust clearance issues.
Double adjustable makes it easy to adjust on the car, where single adjustable would require you to drop one end of the bar to adjust. If you need adjustable, do double adjustable to make it easier.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

No, single adjustable can still be done on the car.

Shameless plug: my spohn single adjust is still for sale on here.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by patSS/00
No, single adjustable can still be done on the car.
As long as the single adjustable bar is on-car adjustable then you're good to go
Old 01-24-2016, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My Founders bar is single adjustable, but is on car adjustable. I wouldn't get a panhard that you couldn't adjust on-car as that would be really annoying to deal with.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:00 AM
FormerVendor

We offer a few different variations for panhard bars and control arms

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...ex&cPath=7_138

Like mentioned above our roto-joint is a great choice.You get the articulation like a rod end for bind free suspension while maintaining a comfortable ride like Polyurethane.

I would recommend an adjustable panhard bar if you are doing any modifications such as lowering or larger tires. Whether you go with "on car",double or single adjustable is simply a matter of how easy you want to be able to adjust the bar.

If you need any info or pricing please feel free to give us a call here at the shop, We'll be glad to help you out.

Craig
Old 01-25-2016, 08:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We offer a on car double adjustable lca's and panhard bar that is heim joints on both ends and we also offer a single adjustable that is poly on one end and heim on the other and I think this would probably be your best option if you plan on lowering your car I would also do some lca relocation brackets. If you have any questions please give us a call we will get you taken care of the with the right parts.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So I'm thinking about picking up some LCA relocation brackets, LCAs, and a panhard bar for my 98 Z28. This car is strictly a street car but I am looking for grip and do plan on running some 305/45/18s and I've read that with wider tires. an adjustable Panhard does help.

So if I am looking at a low noise solution and don't need every adjustment in the world since this is simply a street car, what kind of bar do I need? The last thing I want to do is spend money unnecessarily.
Having an adjustable panhard bar with the wider tires will definitely be beneficial as it will allow you to center the rear end under the car giving you optimal wheel/tire clearance. Like everyone else said make sure you get one that is on-car adjustable to make adjusting nice and easy. All of the adjustable BMR panhard bars are going to be on-car adjustable.

If you are looking for quiet adjustable panhard bar I would look at BMR adjustable panhard bar w/ poly bushings (PHR002) or our BMR adjustable panhard bar with the poly bushing on one end and rod end/heim joint (PHR010) on the other. The BMR adjustable panhard bar w/ poly bushings (PHR002) will be the quietest out of the two options but doesn't articulate as well. The BMR adjustable panhard bar with the poly bushing on one end and rod end/heim joint (PHR010) will transfer a little more noise but articulate better.

Here are link to both panhard bars off our website:

BMR adjustable panhard bar w/ poly bushings (PHR002)
http://bmrsuspension.com/index.cfm?p...&productid=279

BMR adjustable panhard bar with the poly bushing on one end and rod end/heim joint (PHR010)
http://bmrsuspension.com/index.cfm?p...&productid=281

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

We recently added on car adjustable poly/poly PHB & LCA. They will be in our Ebay & web site for purchasing. It is $104 shipped.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So as a rule, if I want quiet, go poly?
Old 01-28-2016, 07:06 AM
FormerVendor

Yes Poly will be the quietest but lacks the ability to articulate.

Our Roto-Joints will give you a ride similar if not the same to Poly with the benefit of 28deg. of articulation.

Craig
Old 01-28-2016, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

So as a rule, if I want quiet, go poly?
Correct and require not much in maintenance if installed properly. You just want to make sure not to crank the bolt down to much when installing them. You need to allow for some movement but no slop from side to side once in place.

However if you purchase from a company that uses a quality heim joint they won't be that noisy either.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Poly is fine for panhard rods. they dont rotate. only move on a single axis. up and down pivot.
now on LCAs i would suggest an end that can pivot, as they need to move and twist in two directions (ie not just a poly bushing)

that being said i run the $47 non adjustable Founders Performance rod (christmas gift)
http://www.foundersperformance.com/p...djustable.html

im lowered with 295s and no the rear end is not perfectly centered. but ive had no issue for the last 12 years racing it that way.

they have a single adjustable for $72

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS 2; 01-28-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I actually prefer a single adjustable that is not on car adjustable for the simple reason of once the rear end is centered you never have to readjust it again... unless you change the ride height.

I set it to stock length bolt hole to bolt hole.
Put it on the car to measure with plum bobs dropped over the quarter panels while someone is sitting in the car to account for driver weight.
Then measure and adjust the bar to make up the difference of rearend off center.

Also an FYI a poly/poly panhard bar will always try to back the jam nut off due to the suspension arc making the poly bind and twist the bar. Now I always use poly on the body side and a rod end on the axle side and haven't had the jam nut come loose since.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Supersport, What brand do you recommend. I agree with your logic.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To my knowledge the only single adjustable poly/rodend panhard bars are UMI and Founders.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

I'm running 315s and lowered on Strano springs. I have a factory panhard bar, don't have rolled fenders, and I don't have any problems. Don't be convinced you NEED a panhard bar just because your car is lowered.

Quick Reply: What kind of panhard bar?