Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default front suspension advice

hello everyone

i recently installed bilstein slp shock, sub-frame connectors, adj. Panhard bar, strut brace, and control arms. Now i am focusing on the front. after i pick springs (leaning towards stranno or BMR) I am really not sure where to go from there. My car is a daily driver/weekend cruiser. what i am looking for is a car that handles like its on rails, without spending a fourtune. i drag race maybe 2 times a year. canyon carving is more my thing... I am just looking for some pointers. i have read through other threads most people want both drag and road course. im more like:

1) canyon carver
2) road course
3) drag racing

thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fastbird02
hello everyone

i recently installed bilstein slp shock, sub-frame connectors, adj. Panhard bar, strut brace, and control arms. Now i am focusing on the front. after i pick springs (leaning towards stranno or BMR) I am really not sure where to go from there. My car is a daily driver/weekend cruiser. what i am looking for is a car that handles like its on rails, without spending a fourtune. i drag race maybe 2 times a year. canyon carving is more my thing... I am just looking for some pointers. i have read through other threads most people want both drag and road course. im more like:

1) canyon carver
2) road course
3) drag racing

I think a set of Strano sway bars are calling your name, as well as some good tires if you dont have them.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:54 PM
Launching!

got good tires. sway bars are 1 thing i was thinking about. how does a strano set compare to my ws6 stock sway bars? and anything else in addition to sway bars?

right now the car is a bolton car with a 100hp wet plate. but once the lq4 is complete im aiming for 500+whp + 200hp wet plate.... wont use nitrous much as i think 500+whp makes a great daily. but i like the idea of an extra 200 at the flip of a switch...
Old 03-13-2016, 08:28 AM
Launching!

got good tires. sway bars are 1 thing i was thinking about. how does a strano set compare to my ws6 stock sway bars? and anything else in addition to sway bars?

right now the car is a bolton car with a 100hp wet plate. but once the lq4 is complete im aiming for 500+whp + 200hp wet plate.... wont use nitrous much as i think 500+whp makes a great daily. but i like the idea of an extra 200 at the flip of a switch...
I dont have any personal experience with ws6 sway bars, im sure someone else would be able to help with that. But let me tell you the difference between the strano sway bars and the ones that come on a trans am are night and day. The car is alot more stable in the corners, and I can definitely push it alot harder. Before I put them in I took the car out and went around a twisty section by my house and you could feel the tires gripping but it felt like the body of the car would just let go and spin out. After the sway bars i was able to push the same corners to the point where the tires would be squealing and letting go. Idk if that made sense but, the sway bars are 100% worth the money.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

hello everyone

1) canyon carver
2) road course
3) drag racing

Did you put the bilstiens on the front too or just the rear?
For handling:
#1 Good shocks
If you have the stock shocks in the front then grab some Koni SA's now while they are on sale. Best bang for the buck shock out there for all around performance.
#2 springs (strano or custom)
#3 swaybars
The WS6 swaybars are nothing special (the front is 2mm bigger over the base one, and the rears are the same as the base car), strano swaybars or UMI swaybars will be a night and day difference and very well balanced unlike most others.

A side note, if those rear LCAs are poly/poly combo then you might want to change those out as they will bind and hurt handling.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Launching!

i put the bilsteins all the way around. lca's are 1le style bushing. seems like sway bars and springs are next. what about after those?
Old 03-13-2016, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try that and enjoy it from there, beyond that and components begin to get expensive. Sway bars are the best for these cars
Old 03-13-2016, 10:10 PM
Launching!

sounds good to me Corvett z07, id be glad to stop there. thank you everyone for your help!
Old 03-14-2016, 07:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm around (generally, though Race season starts for me this week) to help work through this. I get the idea, but the issue is with the details. The biggest being that I can make the car handle... but I dunno what your idea of "for not a lot of money" is. THAT is different for every single person. Individuals assign value differently, they have different ideas of what on rails is, etc.

If you can give me something more solid to work with, like a budget you want to play with I can work on a setup that fits that desire along with the "handling on rails" part. I'm not going to tell you that you have to have every single part known to man for this car, I'm only going to tell you what I think you should do based on what I've read here added to some knowledge of the budget in mind to come up with a result that suits what I think you are after. And I'm pretty good at it.

But I am not a mind reader. And knowing a budget is part of this. The other part is knowing what you don't like about how the car drives now (more than "the handling sucks"). Specifically what are the things it does the worse that you hate the most? Based on that I can make even better decisions because I have more tangible data to work from.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-14-2016, 09:46 PM
Launching!

well i did just do a good amount of work to the rear suspension. i am going to drive it for a few weeks, see where the weak points are. thank you everyone. and Sam after everything i have read on here you are the only guy to go to. you will be hearing from me soon. thanks again
Old 03-15-2016, 12:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Knowing what you did to the rear would also be a factor. Some things back there mess with the end result. Remember that handling includes balance and predictability, and if the ends of the car aren't 'happy' with each other the result suffers.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: front suspension advice