Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How would a Koni install cause this??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would a Koni install cause this??

No don't have pictures as to its a steering feel. Turning both ways my steering goes soft to tight, soft to tight both ways.

I noticed this issue the second I pulled my car outta the bay from putting in the Koni's.

Things I've replaced & wasted money on that i thought was the cause since putting the konis in: new FE2 rack from Delco, new moog lower ball joint, and the pump. I know for a fact it's my install that caused this and not the pump. I must of tightened something too tight or done something.

This car is driving me crazy. The more I try to take care of it the more problems it gives me. I'm losing love for it.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alignment?
Old 03-14-2016, 08:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you lower the car with the Koni shocks?

I would try an alignment. Sounds like a toe issue to me.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Did you lower the car with the Koni shocks?

I would try an alignment. Sounds like a toe issue to me.
Yeah I aligned it 3 times since the shock install. Tried alittle toe out, in and zero. Same result.

Plus the shocks didn't throw off the alignment since there is no bolts that have to be loosened that have to do with the camber caster and toe in order to install the shocks.

The car is the same height since I had eibachs and stock shocks before. Now I have BMR & Koni. Both are 1.25" drop
Old 03-17-2016, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you know for 100% fact that the ride height is the same with the different springs (as in, you personally measured both before & after changing the springs yourself), or are you just going by the advertised drop?

depending on quality control, even 2 "supposedly" identical springs from the same company can cause a difference in ride height, much less springs from 2 different companies.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe it's just a coincidence, that this happened after the shock swap, but possibly the u-joint in the steering shaft is going bad.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Maybe it's just a coincidence, that this happened after the shock swap
+1, changing the shocks shouldn't affect anything at all that deals with how the steering feels. Like some of the guys above, I feel like it has something to do with the alignment or a different failing part. You said you put a new rack on it as well?
Old 04-18-2016, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RidetechJosh
+1, changing the shocks shouldn't affect anything at all that deals with how the steering feels. Like some of the guys above, I feel like it has something to do with the alignment or a different failing part. You said you put a new rack on it as well?
Im still fighting this issue after doing everything i could with the alignment. Did about 7 test alignments messing with the caster, camber and toe. gave it too much, too little, and factory spec’d out all 3 angles as a test and still same steering feel.

This started only when i put the shocks in. I didn’t put the rack in until 1 week after i did the shocks. It is weird and can’t think on possibly how a shock can throw off steering feel. Its beyond me and would be grateful for some more ideas.

Note my alignment didn’t move at all when I put the shocks in. you don’t need to looses any bolts that have to do with the alignment when you install shocks on these cars.

I know I won’t get that much more input since no one else has experienced this, but i hope I strike gold with you guys with some more ideas.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just for grins, can you post your alignment settings?
Old 04-19-2016, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

When I did Koni shocks with Strano Springs, the suspension geometry changed. Couldn't get a proper alignment, caused issues with steering (similar to your complaints), tire wear, and killed ball joints. I put in UMI upper and lower A-arms which are designed to account for lowered cars, and that cleared up my issues. Keep in mind, Koni shocks cause the front to lower a bit due to different spring perch, which affects suspension geometry. It will affect alignment.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul87
When I did Koni shocks with Strano Springs, the suspension geometry changed. Couldn't get a proper alignment, caused issues with steering (similar to your complaints), tire wear, and killed ball joints. I put in UMI upper and lower A-arms which are designed to account for lowered cars, and that cleared up my issues. Keep in mind, Koni shocks cause the front to lower a bit due to different spring perch, which affects suspension geometry. It will affect alignment.
Koni SA's? Thats only if you choose to use the lower spring perch, the regular "upper" spring perch is same as stock height.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Just for grins, can you post your alignment settings?
Sure I'll take a snapshot of the printout next time I get the chance to use the rack. But if I recall (and I usually run along the lines of) 0 toe, -1.3 camber, and +5.00 caster. I've ran these exact specs for years and never had an issue. Camber is not too harsh for my Michelin Super sports 255/40 18 up front. Ran these specs on these tires for the past 20k and still have 5/32nds left on the inside belts of the tire. BTW I'm running BMR springs all around (1.25" drop) which are a lower drop than Strano's. I was running eibach Sportlines (same 1.25 drop) for years before the BMR's, so alignment wise im in the same ballpark as I've always been. I used stock spring perches.

Quick Reply: How would a Koni install cause this??