Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What brakes to go with

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
There is a lot more that goes into braking than just the brakes themselves, tires being one of the biggest factors. Saying that your 2 pot setup outperformed a 6 pot setup is in a sense true, because it did to you. Factor in all the other components that lead to better braking performance and there's so many variables that go into play that the comparison is irrelevant.

If the two cars were setup exactly the same, meaning same tire, same suspension, same brake pads and rotors, then you have a more direct comparison between the two and then you can say whatever brake setup performed better.

For example, some guys that I know of are able to engage the ABS with factory LS1 brakes on massive width r-compunds. If they were to get a 6 piston BAER setup in place of the LS1 brakes, they are not going to stop any sooner on those brakes vs. the stock LS1 brakes simply because they are able to overcome the adhesion limit of the tires already.

Now if they were repeatedly stopping hard time after time, the 6 pot setup would be better because of the greater surface area of the rotor and pad contact area for the heat to dissipate vs having a smaller more concentrated area of heat buildup on the pads/rotors and then you'll overheat the pads quicker on a smaller setup. However most of us aren't tracking our cars at race courses. Therefore I believe LS1 brakes are perfectly adequate for the purpose of stopping an F-body on the street or small local events.

...just my 2¢...
^^^ Sound advice that's worth much more than $.02!

For what it's worth, I run stock calipers front and back with aggressive track pads on the front (Hawk DTC-60 or DTC-70) and moderate track pads (HP+) on the rear for my track days. Coupled with sticky R-comp tires, I still have no trouble getting the ABS to engage.

For the street and slowing down from 1/4 mile passes, I'd save the money on a big brake kit and just slap a moderate pad (Hawks HPS or the 5.0 pads) on the front with blank rotors. I can assure you that setup is more than sufficient for that use.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
There is a lot more that goes into braking than just the brakes themselves, tires being one of the biggest factors. Saying that your 2 pot setup outperformed a 6 pot setup is in a sense true, because it did to you. Factor in all the other components that lead to better braking performance and there's so many variables that go into play that the comparison is irrelevant.

If the two cars were setup exactly the same, meaning same tire, same suspension, same brake pads and rotors, then you have a more direct comparison between the two and then you can say whatever brake setup performed better.

For example, some guys that I know of are able to engage the ABS with factory LS1 brakes on massive width r-compunds. If they were to get a 6 piston BAER setup in place of the LS1 brakes, they are not going to stop any sooner on those brakes vs. the stock LS1 brakes simply because they are able to overcome the adhesion limit of the tires already.

Now if they were repeatedly stopping hard time after time, the 6 pot setup would be better because of the greater surface area of the rotor and pad contact area for the heat to dissipate vs having a smaller more concentrated area of heat buildup on the pads/rotors and then you'll overheat the pads quicker on a smaller setup. However most of us aren't tracking our cars at race courses. Therefore I believe LS1 brakes are perfectly adequate for the purpose of stopping an F-body on the street or small local events.

...just my 2¢...
My buddy with the Willwoods had better suspension for braking than I did. We both were at 120 MPH and got on the brakes in full. I stopped nearly 200ft before he did. Both cars had ABS. Neither brake system outperformed the tires we had. This is all things I also took into consideration.

We tried some higher speeds. The greater the speed, the more mine outperformed his. The Willwoods are good if you want aftermarket brakes that look like aftermarket brakes on a budget. They are not the ones to choose if you want them for actual aftermarket performance braking.

The CTS-V brakes would outperform the 6 piston Willwoods any day.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
My buddy with the Willwoods had better suspension for braking than I did. We both were at 120 MPH and got on the brakes in full. I stopped nearly 200ft before he did. Both cars had ABS. Neither brake system outperformed the tires we had. This is all things I also took into consideration.

We tried some higher speeds. The greater the speed, the more mine outperformed his. The Willwoods are good if you want aftermarket brakes that look like aftermarket brakes on a budget. They are not the ones to choose if you want them for actual aftermarket performance braking.

Comparison is junk. Unless both cars ran the same pad and tire compounds, and are the same weight, there is no basis for a comparison. Tell you what, I will gladly out stop you from high speeds repeatedly with my junk wilwood calipers. I'll gladly out stop those ctsv brakes too. It's all in the combination of parts and how they work together.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Still no mention of tires, or pads...but if you aren't able to out brake your tires with either of those setups something is wrong anyways. Unless of course you're running like 335 r-compounds all around. We've derailed this thread pretty far off track though.

Last edited by blackandgold; 04-05-2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: your, you're I don't even know anymore.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Both of us were running the same pads (Hawk HPS). If you are outperforming the tires, you'll know (my ABS does this at 160 MPH and hard braking, as I can feel and hear the tires being overworked). Both of us are running the same sized tires, same compound (Nitto 555's), and same amount of tread.

Rotors, both same size also.

I felt like this was about as close as even of a comparison as possible (didn't know I had to go into detail to give all the specifics as really the calipers being the only big difference between the two).
Old 04-05-2016, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Both of us were running the same pads (Hawk HPS). If you are outperforming the tires, you'll know (my ABS does this at 160 MPH and hard braking, as I can feel and hear the tires being overworked). Both of us are running the same sized tires, same compound (Nitto 555's), and same amount of tread.

I felt like this was about as close as even of a comparison as possible (didn't know I had to go into detail to give all the specifics as really the calipers being the only big difference between the two).
The reason you have to go into detail is because you're saying that the 6 pot wilwood calipers can't out perform a set of street tires. I've seen stock calipers and rotors trigger ABS on 555's from under 100mph so something still doesn't seem right, unless the cars weren't being pushed hard enough. I'm not trying to be a dick it just doesn't add up to me. Frankly if he had the 13" rotor 6 pots and you are running 14" vette disks I'd expect the CTS-V calipers to perform better, but if the tires and pad are the same it wouldn't matter because both of them are significantly better than a stockish size 555.

Again and this is somewhat my fault, but the thread is way off topic, it might be worth starting a new one though to get the opinions of people who have the wilwoods to chime in.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blackandgold
The reason you have to go into detail is because you're saying that the 6 pot wilwood calipers can't out perform a set of street tires. I've seen stock calipers and rotors trigger ABS on 555's from under 100mph so something still doesn't seem right, unless the cars weren't being pushed hard enough. I'm not trying to be a dick it just doesn't add up to me. Frankly if he had the 13" rotor 6 pots and you are running 14" vette disks I'd expect the CTS-V calipers to perform better, but if the tires and pad are the same it wouldn't matter because both of them are significantly better than a stockish size 555.

Again and this is somewhat my fault, but the thread is way off topic, it might be worth starting a new one though to get the opinions of people who have the wilwoods to chime in.
Opinions from anyone with an upgraded brake system; "they are much better than my stock ones". Opinions will not be quantifiable. Test results and data will.

I literally had almost a perfect matchup between the two systems with the only significant difference being the calipers themselves. This was the criteria YOU even listed as being necessary for a true equal test. Yet "something doesn't t add up" since the brakes didn't out perform the tires? The results are there. Whether you want to accept that not all 6 piston calipers are created with equal stopping ability or not is up to you.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was something wrong with his brakes if it took him an extra 200 feet to stop with all those variables you claim being equal or similar. There's only so many things that affect braking performance. He had a better suspension, you guys had the same tires, same size rotors, same brake pads and yet you out braked him that badly with 15 year old 2 piston sliding calipers? Yeah...he probably put his pads in backwards. Shims don't stop well.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by justin455
There was something wrong with his brakes if it took him an extra 200 feet to stop with all those variables you claim being equal or similar. There's only so many things that affect braking performance. He had a better suspension, you guys had the same tires, same size rotors, same brake pads and yet you out braked him that badly with 15 year old 2 piston sliding calipers? Yeah...he probably put his pads in backwards. Shims don't stop well.
Not stock vs Wilwood, CTS-V Brembo (I'm guessing on the brand) vs Wilwood.

Something interesting though, from 60mph a stock LS1 camaro was stopping around 130ft, unfortunately I'm having trouble digging up the R&T article, but here is an older thread that discusses it: Old LS1tech braking info thread

So we can do some quick math using this info Math Stuff The important take away here is that stopping distance increases as the square of velocity, we need to fudge our numbers a bit to line up with the R&T test so basically what we come up with is (and of course ignoring reaction time):

(stopping distance) = ((car speed)^2)/27.7

So in CALL911's test from 120mph a car with stock brakes should stop in around 520 feet. This is of course ignoring the reaction time of the driver. 200 feet is almost 40% of that and honestly I'd be in shock if the CTS-V calipers had a 40% improvement over the stock equipment let alone over Wilwoods with a 14" rotor. I'll take some time at lunch to dig up the match on how a tire's contact patch and tread-wear rating impacts this as well.

Opinions from anyone with an upgraded brake system; "they are much better than my stock ones". Opinions will not be quantifiable. Test results and data will.

I literally had almost a perfect matchup between the two systems with the only significant difference being the calipers themselves. This was the criteria YOU even listed as being necessary for a true equal test. Yet "something doesn't t add up" since the brakes didn't out perform the tires? The results are there. Whether you want to accept that not all 6 piston calipers are created with equal stopping ability or not is up to you.
Bigger caliper and rotor = bigger pad = more contact = better braking, assuming the same clamping pressure per unit of measurement. Whether or not you're getting more clamping force from your caliper or not is dependent on the design of the caliper, i.e. if it requires 75% of the fluid that the stockers do you'll see an increase in clamping force. I would hope a well designed 4 piston or 6 piston caliper should be more efficient than our 15 year old ls1 calipers, although there are plenty of manufacturers that prove aftermarket isn't always better. But for the sake of argument if you have to get up to 160mph to trigger the abs on a set of stock tires your CTSV calipers are junk too though...

Last edited by blackandgold; 04-06-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by justin455
Where are you getting 15 year old 2 piston brakes from? Mine were Baer brakes that were purchased within a year or so the same time he bought his Willwoods.

But for the sake of argument if you have to get up to 160mph to trigger the abs on a set of stock tires your CTSV calipers are junk too though...
Are you reading carefully? I don't have CTS-V brakes. I said I believe CTS-V brakes would outperform Willwood brakes. I have Baer brakes.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where are you getting 15 year old 2 piston brakes from? Mine were Baer brakes that were purchased within a year or so the same time he bought his Willwoods. But baer, CTSV, wilwood or stock you should be able to brake harder than stockish (like the 555s) tires can handle from well under 160mph.

Are you reading carefully? I don't have CTS-V brakes. I said I believe CTS-V brakes would outperform Willwood brakes. I have Baer brakes.
I actually don't see where you specified that my bad if I missed it. I honed in on your comparison in the quoted post above.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Its all good. I did make that mention that I thought CTS-V brakes would outperform the Willwoods, but did not say that I had them, but I can see where it could get confusing.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Certainly makes the comparison more interesting. 200 feet is a huge difference. Do you know what model calipers he uses? I will be the first to admit Wilwood makes some junk, but they also make some products that work very well. I'm inclined to think there is a mechanical issue with his braking system. The 2 cars should be somewhat close in braking distance.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There we go! I may have instigated this argument but hey, some good info has been set down here as well.

Blindly saying that Wilwood is junk and your 2 pot BAER setup stops TONS better than a 6 pot Wilwood setup made me think that the comparison was just a quick test just because you could do it. Now that you laid out some good comparison data between the 2 cars makes the brake test more viable and more convincing now, so thank you
Old 04-06-2016, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Certainly makes the comparison more interesting. 200 feet is a huge difference. Do you know what model calipers he uses? I will be the first to admit Wilwood makes some junk, but they also make some products that work very well. I'm inclined to think there is a mechanical issue with his braking system. The 2 cars should be somewhat close in braking distance.
Agreed, 200 ft is a very large difference. I used to think that the cheaper price Wilwood offers over my Baers were a value. After that, it made me go back to the same saying that is true for most of the performance parts out there; "you get what you pay for". Wilwood no doubt offers better performance than stock F-body systems, but they are not the brakes you want if you want the best caliper available on the market for stopping power.

He had the "Narrow SL6" 6 piston calipers from Wilwood. I had Baer Claw Track plus 2 piston at that time (I have since upgraded to Baer 6P calipers).
Old 04-07-2016, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Agreed, 200 ft is a very large difference. I used to think that the cheaper price Wilwood offers over my Baers were a value. After that, it made me go back to the same saying that is true for most of the performance parts out there; "you get what you pay for". Wilwood no doubt offers better performance than stock F-body systems, but they are not the brakes you want if you want the best caliper available on the market for stopping power.

He had the "Narrow SL6" 6 piston calipers from Wilwood. I had Baer Claw Track plus 2 piston at that time (I have since upgraded to Baer 6P calipers).
Still seems weird that from 120mph neither of you was outbraking your tires though especially with that huge of an improvement.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Still seems weird that from 120mph neither of you was outbraking your tires though especially with that huge of an improvement.
Again, hot sticky surface vs cold asphalt surface. Brakes, tires, traction all react different in different atmospheric conditions.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dammmit, just bleed ur brakes! Lmao....

Quick Reply: What brakes to go with