Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Short TA question (not a long vs short thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short TA question (not a long vs short thread)

I'll preface this by saying that I really hope the suspension sponsors don't come in here and start rubbing dirt in each others eyes. This post is about MY specific set up and not an issue with the product that I am using. It was more or less caused by a lack of me doing research. I have experience with parts from BMR, UMI, and more. I think they both make incredibly great products but I am having an issue that I caused with the way my car (02 Trans Am) is set up.

I have a short TA from UMI on my S60 rear end. I love the way it hooks, drives, etc. No problems. The issue is that I am lowered with headers and I have the cross member w/ drive shaft loop that has the drop down to clear the exhaust. That thing hits on everything. It has gotten banged bad enough a couple of times that it was causing the loop to contact the weight on the drive shaft. That is with me being incredibly careful. The problem is that I have to be so careful that it is stressful just to drive the car and I have to know a route is clear before I drive it in the trans am.

I noticed that BMRs cross member goes over the exhaust as opposed to below it. By my measurements that would give me just short of 3" of additional clearance. My questions is: Will the UMI TA bolt to the BMR cross member?

I am just trying not to buy the same thing twice. In addition just swapping the cross member would save me a good bit of work. Anybody ever tried this?
Old 04-14-2016, 03:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much help. But I will say the Midwest chassis torque arm cross members will work with the poly ended UMI short arm.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will not guarantee that our cross member will work with others torque arms but we should have a cross member that works with your exhaust.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed a BMR TA012. Here are area few pictures.. I had the same concern before I purchased because I'm lowered and Michigan roads are bad.

Before I bolted down the DS loop
It lightly touched the 3" y-pipe

My LM2 resonator hangs lower than the cross brace lol.. side view

Hopefully that is enough to give you an idea. There are a lot of great options out there though!

Quick Reply: Short TA question (not a long vs short thread)