Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My CTS-V Brake Upgrade Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I was under the impression that the 6 Piston brakes required enlargening the caliper mounting holes.

That is correct but its pretty easy to do, it will just be a permanent modification. You will also need to source some bolts. Any reason other than looks you would prefer the 6 piston over the 4? the 6 piston won't preform any better

I would really prefer the 6 Piston over the 4 Piston but I am afraid of screwing up on the part where I enlargen those holes and the calipers don't match up. I was told to use a Half Inch Drill with a 14mm bit and it would be cake walk. Can you confirm this? The 6 Piston is super tempting. how difficult is it to drill that hole out?

So I ordered the Brake Lines, I didn't get them from Flynbye because I've heard numerous horror stories where people have paid them and never heard anything else from him and never got their product, plus he's very difficult to get a hold of. I tried calling him multiple times and got through once and was told he would call me back which didnt happen.

I ordered a standard set of slotted / drilled F-Body rotors and pads for the rear.

I also ordered 2 new wheels 19x8.5 5x120 40mm Offset on the front. What sucks is, I found out the AVAT AV5's were on back order and the manufacturer states there's no ETA when they will be producing them again, meaning they could even be discontinued. I had to settle for a very similar wheel, the AV3's, but these have Rivets, so it's going to be alittle mismatch..I'm hoping it doesn't look "too" off, or I may try to return my AV5's and get AV3's all the way around. Trying to avoid returning them though because I'll be out of pocket for shipping on that.

Finally...For the CTS-V brake, not sure what I want to do. I don't know if I want to paint them, or powder coat them. Painting is obviously much cheaper
Powder coating would be the best, but to give you an idea of what painting them yourself would look like
Name:  0424160724_zpsz1giv322.jpg
Views: 4444
Size:  296.9 KB

I used the VHT caliper paint and then baked the calipers in the oven. I also used VHT caliper clear coat as well.
The following users liked this post:
spectre977 (08-23-2020)
Old 08-03-2016, 04:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice job. Did you primer before paint?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Very nice job. Did you primer before paint?
no. I bought the calipers new, but I scuffed them up with sand paper first then sprayed them.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was under the impression that the 6 Piston brakes required enlargening the caliper mounting holes.

I would really prefer the 6 Piston over the 4 Piston but I am afraid of screwing up on the part where I enlargen those holes and the calipers don't match up. I was told to use a Half Inch Drill with a 14mm bit and it would be cake walk. Can you confirm this? The 6 Piston is super tempting. how difficult is it to drill that hole out?

So I ordered the Brake Lines, I didn't get them from Flynbye because I've heard numerous horror stories where people have paid them and never heard anything else from him and never got their product, plus he's very difficult to get a hold of. I tried calling him multiple times and got through once and was told he would call me back which didnt happen.

I ordered a standard set of slotted / drilled F-Body rotors and pads for the rear.

I also ordered 2 new wheels 19x8.5 5x120 40mm Offset on the front. What sucks is, I found out the AVAT AV5's were on back order and the manufacturer states there's no ETA when they will be producing them again, meaning they could even be discontinued. I had to settle for a very similar wheel, the AV3's, but these have Rivets, so it's going to be alittle mismatch..I'm hoping it doesn't look "too" off, or I may try to return my AV5's and get AV3's all the way around. Trying to avoid returning them though because I'll be out of pocket for shipping on that.

Finally...For the CTS-V brake, not sure what I want to do. I don't know if I want to paint them, or powder coat them. Painting is obviously much cheaper
Just hold the drill straight, there's already a hole there so it's not very difficult. Take it slow and steady. You'll be fine.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

So I updated the first page with updates on my part choices, and part numbers for cheaper 2010 SS rotors.
I chose to do the 4 Piston brake upgrade. Cheaper and slightly easier. I

Finding 2010 SS rotors for a reasonable price was a bit challenging, especially since I am going to be using rear F-Body rotors with a black hat and I at first couldn't find any vendor that produced rotors for both cars (as to keep the same style front and rear.) Turns out Primechoice on ebay does, its really difficult to find the 2010 Camaro SS rotors from them though. I went to their website directly and looked them up and found that they do carry them and for a very nice price...A pair for $132 shipped.. I ordered them. I also ordered the 04-07 CTS V Calipers. I'm going to paint them. My car is Hugger Orange so I'm guessing Orange is probably going to be the best color for them. Likewise my rear calipers with Black Braces.

I have all four wheels now. The only problem that slightly aggitates me is that they literally sold out of the AV5 wheels right before I could order my front set and there's no ETA when they will go into production so I had to settle on the AV3's for the front. I'm hoping the difference doesnt make the car look too imbalanced, I'm still going to keep my eyes out for the AV5's...they look nicer and are about 10lbs lighter but if worse come to worse I'll eventually swap the rear out with AV3's aswell if I get tired of how it looks.

Photos below:
AV5's for REAR
Name:  IMAG1737_zpsvfdoeixg.jpg
Views: 4431
Size:  169.6 KB

AV3's for FRONT
Name:  IMAG1736_zpsshy6fgpi.jpg
Views: 4509
Size:  168.6 KB

Hope this doesn't look to awkward, if it does I'll probably fix it after I get everything together again.

I should note that currently the car is down anyway because the alternator crapped out. I'm replacing that with a Powermaster, doing a big 3 upgrade, upgrading to truck starter , replacing my Redtop Battery with either another Redtop or a Yellowtop so my z28 is going to be down for quite awhile.

Meanwhile I'm having a difficult time deciding on what sized tires to get.

Initially I was going to go 275/30/19 on the rear and 265/30/19 on the front .. I was recommended to go up to 285/30/19 in the rear, but will that fit on a 19x5 rim and more importantly, inside my wheel well without having to hammer anything?

Also what about 255/30/19, is it possible to put that on a 19x8.5 Rim or will I need a 255/*35*/19?

Lets say I ran a 255/30/19 on the front and 275/30/19 on the rear, the tire height difference is about half an inch...will I run into ABS issues?
Old 08-18-2016, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got my Calipres and Front Rotors.

Next I gotta enlargen the hub of the front rotors, paint the calipers and get tires. Hoping there's no wheel fitment issues, if so I'll look into spacers. Question, is using a 2010 Camaro SS wheel hub an option on an F-Body vs enlargening the rotor hub?

What is the maximum spacer we can run without having to change the lug nuts? Do wheel spacers also have to be hub-centric (for the spacer itself to the hub, not the wheel to the hub / spacer)

What color should I go with on these calipers? Red? Orange? Black? or just leave it as is? My car is Hugger Orange, wheels are black and silver.

Front CTS-V Calipers / Front 2010 Camaro SS Rotors:
Name:  IMAG1738_zpsfvtpqevs.jpg
Views: 4498
Size:  190.0 KB

Name:  IMAG1739_zpsna1uair9.jpg
Views: 4466
Size:  165.9 KB

Name:  IMAG1740_zpsfewedumh.jpg
Views: 4558
Size:  164.2 KB

Name:  IMAG1741_zpsoysolmqi.jpg
Views: 4545
Size:  191.0 KB

Rear F-Body Rotor / Front Brake Lines:
Name:  IMAG1742_zpsvcupifsp.jpg
Views: 4472
Size:  183.2 KB

Name:  IMAG1743_zps2bb1aed7.jpg
Views: 4523
Size:  199.0 KB

Name:  IMAG1744_zps94xatgl8.jpg
Views: 4547
Size:  200.9 KB
Old 08-18-2016, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got my Calipres and Front Rotors.

Next I gotta enlargen the hub of the front rotors, paint the calipers and get tires. Hoping there's no wheel fitment issues, if so I'll look into spacers. Question, is using a 2010 Camaro SS wheel hub an option on an F-Body vs enlargening the rotor hub?

What is the maximum spacer we can run without having to change the lug nuts? Do wheel spacers also have to be hub-centric (for the spacer itself to the hub, not the wheel to the hub / spacer)

What color should I go with on these calipers? Red? Orange? Black? or just leave it as is? My car is Hugger Orange, wheels are black and silver.
2010 Camaro hub and wheel bearing is significantly different than our so no not really an option without significant modification.

maximum spacer should not be any more than 5mm since our wheels are hub centric and the weight bearing is on the hub not the lugs. If you need to go further than you will need to find hub centric spacers thus would require longer studs.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

I am in the process of the same mod. I had an 8mm spacer on there to test fit and the lugs would not even thread on. I installed the longer arp studs. Took about 5 mins with an air hammer and impact gun to pull them in.

With the 8mm spacer I had 6mm left before it would hit the caliper. I barely needed a spacer. I ended up ordering a 5mm hub centric spacer set of ebay for about $20. I agree that 5mm is probably the max you can go and still retain the proper function of the factory hub fitting in the wheel.

I am running 18x9.5 C5 y2k wheels from oe wheels. I believe they have a 54 or 56mm offset. I really only needed about 2mm to clear but couldnt find anyone that made one thinner than 5mm. Plus I think 5mm will make it a little more flush mount to the fender but nothing crazy.

Alex
Old 08-19-2016, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is probably going to sound like a dumb question but I am trying to figure out what I need to do for lugnuts. They're apparently all ganna need to be replaced because they're exposed. My stock F-Body Tire Iron is actually too large get inside the lug holes for my wheels (meaning I can't use it to tighten them). I can get an appropriate socket in there no issue though.

Should I just use longer lugs so the bolt head sticks out of the lug hole or do I use the standard size lugs and just use a socket and breaker bar to tighten them instead? I test fitted and even though it was a tight fit the stock lugs will work, just cant use the stock tire arm so I know I "should" be okay here. but maybe there's smaller lug nuts I'm supposed to be using? Same size on thread but smaller bolt-head?
Old 08-19-2016, 02:02 AM
10 Second Club

You really shouldn't be using a tire iron to tighten them. Should be a socket on torque wrench or breaker bar at the very least.

Alex
Old 08-19-2016, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You really shouldn't be using a tire iron to tighten them. Should be a socket on torque wrench or breaker bar at the very least.

Alex
+1 agreed
Old 08-19-2016, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alex
Originally Posted by dojob
+1 agreed
Does this also apply for stock wheels & lugs too? If so, I never knew this... Just curious whats the reason?
Old 08-19-2016, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since when is the 2010 SS rotor preferred over the Z06 rotor, and in as much detail as anyone can, why?

Last I checked on the 4-pot CTS-V's, the Z06 rotor fit just fine and didn't require rotor modification.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 300 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by szalkerous
Since when is the 2010 SS rotor preferred over the Z06 rotor, and in as much detail as anyone can, why?

Last I checked on the 4-pot CTS-V's, the Z06 rotor fit just fine and didn't require rotor modification.
IIRC, the z06 rotor is not the correct diameter, as the pad is a little too wide for the rotor and will have a bit of over-hang. With the 5th gen rotor, while it does require boring out to fit our hubs, the pad with sit correctly on the rotor, will have more contact area, and will not have any over-hang.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CoreyD
IIRC, the z06 rotor is not the correct diameter, as the pad is a little too wide for the rotor and will have a bit of over-hang. With the 5th gen rotor, while it does require boring out to fit our hubs, the pad with sit correctly on the rotor, will have more contact area, and will not have any over-hang.
Yeah I did manage to find this thread using Google (the site search is broken for some odd reason) and it did explain some of this... although I'm very nervous about boring an aluminum hat on a two-piece rotor.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ss-rotors.html

Since I wanted a two-piece to reduce some of that rotating weight, I was waiting for a set of Eradispeed rotors from Baer (due this fall).

I had mentioned on the other thread:

I found this thread when trying to research why 2010 rotors were so much better than Z06 ones.

I'm not really a huge fan of having rotors bored out every time I need to replace them, and I'm worried if I opt for two-piece with aluminum hats that the boring will cause integrity problems

I wonder if you could get Baer to give you the hats for our stock bore ( http://baer.com/12-1998-2002-GM-Fbod...e-2301006.html ) with the braking surface for a 2010 SS ( http://baer.com/13-Front-2010-2015-C...e-2301061.html ) and they would match up?
Old 08-25-2016, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I did manage to find this thread using Google (the site search is broken for some odd reason) and it did explain some of this... although I'm very nervous about boring an aluminum hat on a two-piece rotor.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ss-rotors.html

Since I wanted a two-piece to reduce some of that rotating weight, I was waiting for a set of Eradispeed rotors from Baer (due this fall).

I had mentioned on the other thread:
Check the first page of this thread (I updated it) and you'll see the rotors I purchased are 1 piece rotors if those make you feel any more comfortable.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Purchased the Front tires (255/35/19) and a set of Lug Nuts. I'm going to have to have the hubs of the rotors widened probably next paycheck assuming everything goes smooth, get the rear tires and I can probably begin my install.

I can't think of anything else I'll need. I did NOT purchase the washers noted in the sticky as I was told they weren't necessary. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 09-01-2016, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Purchased the Front tires (255/35/19) and a set of Lug Nuts. I'm going to have to have the hubs of the rotors widened probably next paycheck assuming everything goes smooth, get the rear tires and I can probably begin my install.

I can't think of anything else I'll need. I did NOT purchase the washers noted in the sticky as I was told they weren't necessary. Can anyone confirm this?
2010+ camaro rotors don't need washers for the calipers

c6 z06 rotors require the washers for the calipers (these rotors shouldn't be paired with the calipers though, pads hang off the rotors)
Old 09-01-2016, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dojob
2010+ camaro rotors don't need washers for the calipers

c6 z06 rotors require the washers for the calipers (these rotors shouldn't be paired with the calipers though, pads hang off the rotors)
Okay, excellent. I have the 2010 SS Rotors.
I'm going to have to make a parts so I'll know what to replace stuff with when its time for another brake job. Honestly can't wait to see how much my handling / road grip and braking improves after completing this setup. With Khumo's on the front and BFGoodwrench on the rear (255/50/16) I had a very noticable improvement in handling over the tires my car came with .. I'm ordering Khumo Ecsta's all the way around...
255/35/19 Front
295/30/19 Rear
..hoping to feel an improvement even over what I currently have. I'm also thinking of installing an adjustable strut tower. As for installing the strut tower, is it safe to remove those bolts holding the struts in place under the hood? That has always worried me.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay its coming close to time. My front tires have arrived, ordering the rear next week. I need to prepare to sand and paint the brakes. Should I use a sander or is sandpaper alone going to be enough?

Quick Reply: My CTS-V Brake Upgrade Thread