Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering and ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Thanks rybern! I'm gonna give it a few days then go from there. If I'm not happy I'll either raise the rear or drop the front. I love the way it rides and handles though
Sounds like a good plan to me. Glad to hear that your happy with how it rides.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JROC
Makes me think of my car. It looks to sit a little high in the front compared to the rear. I even installed the heater hose mod on my cars rear at first but went back to the OEM insulators to help level the car off. I might drop the spring to the lower perch on my front shocks(Koni SA's) when I add my C6Z wheels. Speaking of which how do you like the Cooper tires your running up front? I'm considering them for my Z06 wheels.
Yeah depending on where I'm at in a few days with the front will determine weather I raise the rear or pull out the spacers in the front. The crazy thing is that the front hasn't dropped one bit at all, so that makes me think that it must drop some over the next several days, or something was wrong with the parts or install.

I like the Coppers for the price. They seem to handle and wear very well. I believe I paid about $140 a tire, so I'm very happy for that price
Old 08-14-2016, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rybern
Sounds like a good plan to me. Glad to hear that your happy with how it rides.
Thanks bud! Once I get the front/rear balanced out I'll be very happy

I really thought the car was gonna ride a bit rougher but it doesn't. Combine that with the fact that it's much more solid overall, and handles leaps and bounds better, it's really a awesome upgrade for the money
Old 08-14-2016, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks bud! Once I get the front/rear balanced out I'll be very happy

I really thought the car was gonna ride a bit rougher but it doesn't. Combine that with the fact that it's much more solid overall, and handles leaps and bounds better, it's really a awesome upgrade for the money
As much of a tightwad as I am, I'm even thinking about the STR.T's. I've heard such good things about Koni. Glad to read that the cheaper version is good to go. Keep us posted on the ride height issue.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rybern
As much of a tightwad as I am, I'm even thinking about the STR.T's. I've heard such good things about Koni. Glad to read that the cheaper version is good to go. Keep us posted on the ride height issue.
Haha yes I can be a tightwad as well, but I I'm extremely impressed what these Konis do for the price. I'll keep you all posted on the ride height issue as well
Old 08-14-2016, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Thanks rybern! I'm gonna give it a few days then go from there. If I'm not happy I'll either raise the rear or drop the front. I love the way it rides and handles though
I would drop the front...it should settle in after a few miles of driving so I doubt its going to drop much more.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I would drop the front...it should settle in after a few miles of driving so I doubt its going to drop much more.
Yeah I honestly think you're right. It may drop a little possibly but not enough to match the rear I'm afraid. I just wish I knew why the front didn't drop any over stock.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you make sure to orient the springs the same way as the stock ones on the front?

Worse case hit BMR up on the forum, they're VERY helpful
Old 08-15-2016, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Did you make sure to orient the springs the same way as the stock ones on the front?

Worse case hit BMR up on the forum, they're VERY helpful
Yeah I know what you mean, and yes they were definitely done right. I'm gonna call BMR today and see what they have to say.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I know what you mean, and yes they were definitely done right. I'm gonna call BMR today and see what they have to say.
That's the only thing I can figure. I agree with others, I don't think it's going to settle 3/4". You can also hit BMR up on here if you preferred.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

That's the only thing I can figure. I agree with others, I don't think it's going to settle 3/4". You can also hit BMR up on here if you preferred.
Im gonna call Eric at BMR here on my lunch break, and I agree on the fact that it probably won't all the sudden settle another 3/4". I just don't see how
Old 08-16-2016, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm considering doing the heater hose mod for the rear, but I want to raise it up only a 1/4" or so....no more. I already have the Moog isolator for the rear but just want that little extra 1/4" or so lift. Now I know that it can traditionally make up to 1/2" to 3/4" difference, but obviously I want less than that. Anyone know how to achieve this?
Old 08-16-2016, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm considering doing the heater hose mod for the rear, but I want to raise it up only a 1/4" or so....no more. I already have the Moog isolator for the rear but just want that little extra 1/4" or so lift. Now I know that it can traditionally make up to 1/2" to 3/4" difference, but obviously I want less than that. Anyone know how to achieve this?
Is there a difference between Moog and OEM rear insulators?
Old 08-16-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is there a difference between Moog and OEM rear insulators?
Yes the Moog one is a tad thicker
Old 08-16-2016, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes the Moog one is a tad thicker
Get a 1/4 inch ring made to fit around the spring perches on your axle if you're wanting to raise it a 1/4 inch. I recommend something that will resist corrosion but also holdup to a coil spring bearing down on it like Stainless Steel. Aluminum would likely work fine, but is softer and more prone to damage, and IDK if the end of the coil sitting on it would start to cut into it when adding on the miles or not.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get a 1/4 inch ring made to fit around the spring perches on your axle if you're wanting to raise it a 1/4 inch. I recommend something that will resist corrosion but also holdup to a coil spring bearing down on it like Stainless Steel. Aluminum would likely work fine, but is softer and more prone to damage, and IDK if the end of the coil sitting on it would start to cut into it when adding on the miles or not.
Thanks for the idea. That's definitely a thought, but I was first wondering if there was a way to do the hose mod in a way that only makes around 1/4" difference. If there isn't a way then something custom made to fit the spring might be the only option.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the idea. That's definitely a thought, but I was first wondering if there was a way to do the hose mod in a way that only makes around 1/4" difference. If there isn't a way then something custom made to fit the spring might be the only option.
Since it's fairly easy, I'd do the hose mod with the isolator. If too high, put stock isolator on.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Since it's fairly easy, I'd do the hose mod with the isolator. If too high, put stock isolator on.
Well what I'm trying to do is get a very slight rake while still not dropping the entire amount due to my low hanging exhaust. The Moog isolator is slightly thicker than the stock one, but I'm not sure how it's gonna look when I pull the spacers out of the front. So I wanna have the heater hose just in case...this gives me more of an option to play with the ride height a little, and to hopefully get the desired result
Old 08-18-2016, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hate to say it, but may be some trial and error to get it how you want it. Ever figure out anything on why it didn't lower the front?

BTW, something that just dawned on me that I completely forgot about. I put 1/4" worth of washers for spacers on mine and it actually lifted it up more than a 1/4", I'd guess 3/8"-1/2". So when you remove the spacers it may be too low. If so just use some washers and get it sitting just right.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I hate to say it, but may be some trial and error to get it how you want it. Ever figure out anything on why it didn't lower the front?

BTW, something that just dawned on me that I completely forgot about. I put 1/4" worth of washers for spacers on mine and it actually lifted it up more than a 1/4", I'd guess 3/8"-1/2". So when you remove the spacers it may be too low. If so just use some washers and get it sitting just right.
Yep I've already strongly considered what you just said, and you may very well be right. We will find out tonight though since we will be tearing into it. Already have some washers handy if it ends up being a problem

Quick Reply: Lowering and ground clearance