Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering and ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Lowering and ground clearance

Ok here's the deal. I would really like to lower my ride with some BMR springs and Koni STR.T's. I'm stock right now and my lowest point is my ORY, and it's 3.5" from the ground. I talked to BMR and asked what they considered the "general acceptable" minimal clearance is, and they said they don't like much less than 3". So my question is are any of you getting by with more like 2.5" clearance, and if so is it basically a nightmare or not bad at all? Considering the BMR springs are just a hair over a 1" drop that should put me in that 2.5" area, and that concerns me. Any experience or feedback would be great. Thanks
Old 07-31-2016, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm running Stranos which I believe are similar in drop to the BMR's. Even though I'm running stock headers I still avoid speed bumps and sharp crests at all costs. I'm hitting my off brand sub-frame connectors that came with the car and actually sits kinda low.

Most of the time it's not that the car's too low, it's that the wheelbase is so damn long.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by M4N14C
I'm running Stranos which I believe are similar in drop to the BMR's. Even though I'm running stock headers I still avoid speed bumps and sharp crests at all costs. I'm hitting my off brand sub-frame connectors that came with the car and actually sits kinda low.

Most of the time it's not that the car's too low, it's that the wheelbase is so damn long.
Thanks for the reply. Have you measured your lowest point?
Old 07-31-2016, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lowest point is exactly 3" from the ground. I personally would only be ok with 2.5" if I lived somewhere with no speed bumps. At 3" I scrape on most of them.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah and that's my fear. That extra half inch may make a big difference at times. My worry is not so much speed bumps, driveways, etc...as it is say I'm cruising down the road and hit a raised man hole cover or something. Then I could destroy something really bad lol. That's why I'm hoping some will chime in that are lower than 3" and give me their thoughts as well. I know I can do spacers and whatnot to bring it up a little, but the BMR/Strano type drop looks perfect to me, so I'd rather not have to mess with it if at all possible
Old 07-31-2016, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Yeah and that's my fear. That extra half inch may make a big difference at times. My worry is not so much speed bumps, driveways, etc...as it is say I'm cruising down the road and hit a raised man hole cover or something. Then I could destroy something really bad lol. That's why I'm hoping some will chime in that are lower than 3" and give me their thoughts as well
Ouch yea that could do a lot of damage. If you can drop the extra coin there's always coilovers. The new Strano/UMI kit has me drooling

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=8&PartID=1428
Old 07-31-2016, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Unfortunately that's way more than I'm willing to spend on something like this lol. That is badass though
Old 08-01-2016, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone else? Also wondering if anyone has used spacers or whatnot to bring it back up a little if necessary....say like maybe a 3/4" drop vs the standard 1.2" drop. I may end up doing this if I feel it to be necessary
Old 08-01-2016, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i think you'd probably be ok with the stranos, they don't always drop as much as the BMRs and with the stiffer spring rate you'd probably be fine. Without going coilover your best bet would be Koni yellows with stranos on the top perch up front and leave the stock rubber piece on the top of the backs.

IMO 2.5" isn't too bad, I have friends with less than that. At least you aren't looking at sportlines
Old 08-01-2016, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blackandgold
i think you'd probably be ok with the stranos, they don't always drop as much as the BMRs and with the stiffer spring rate you'd probably be fine. Without going coilover your best bet would be Koni yellows with stranos on the top perch up front and leave the stock rubber piece on the top of the backs.

IMO 2.5" isn't too bad, I have friends with less than that. At least you aren't looking at sportlines
Thanks. So you have friends with less than 2.5" clearance and they don't seem to be having any major problems? I like the Koni yellows a lot, but I'm really set on the STR.T since they are within the budget. I thought the Strano and BMR springs had the same exact drop and same basic rate. No?
Old 08-01-2016, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks. So you have friends with less than 2.5" clearance and they don't seem to be having any major problems? I like the Koni yellows a lot, but I'm really set on the STR.T since they are within the budget. I thought the Strano and BMR springs had the same exact drop and same basic rate. No?
Spring rate is the same, there are some people who didn't get the advertised drop with the strano springs, but every car is different so we can't say for certain what you'll get.

Yes I do have friends with horrible clearance, they don't have any real issues but are very careful around speed bumps/potholes/driveways etc... it's just part of the territory that comes with driving a lowered car.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once I do exhaust... I'm getting a custom y-pipe made out of oval stainless. Can't stand the stock y-pipe clearance as is
Old 08-01-2016, 12:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ground clearance, just like fender height is always very subjective. These cars are old enough now that the stock springs are beginning to fatigue and the cars are sitting lower than they originally did with the stock springs. Combine that with the different trim levels and such available out there for these cars, modifications, tire/wheel size etc it is hard to say where the car will actually sit with any springs. Ours generally end up with 1"-1.25" of drop from current height, but I have seen exceptions in either direction of the norm. As I believe I discussed with you on the phone, what is normally the best option to get the "low look" without dragging the car on everything is to go larger on tire/wheel size to fill the wheel gaps. This will counter some of the ground clearance loss from the springs on the low hanging points of the chassis without losing the look you are after. Here are a few examples I have compiled of different combinations with our springs over the years.

LS1tech member Chaman:
Name:  IMG_3204.gif
Views: 787
Size:  371.3 KB

Name:  5190887195_dc626ab6d3_z.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  170.5 KB

Name:  springs5.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  226.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8720CROP.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  42.2 KB

This being said, coilovers are a great option as well that offer a wide range adjustability not only in ride quality and performance, but ride height. You can literally set the car to exactly where you want it, and make changes to compensate for anything else that may change on the car afterwards. Granted, they are a bit more than a standard lowering spring and basic shock combo like Bilstein or Koni Str.T Oranges. However, if you start looking at options such as the Koni Sport Yellows, then the price point of the Viking coilover kit becomes very comparable, but with even more adjustabiliy

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-01-2016, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Spring rate is the same, there are some people who didn't get the advertised drop with the strano springs, but every car is different so we can't say for certain what you'll get.

Yes I do have friends with horrible clearance, they don't have any real issues but are very careful around speed bumps/potholes/driveways etc... it's just part of the territory that comes with driving a lowered car.
That makes me feel a little better that at least someone knows someone's that are getting away with kind of clearance with no real problems. I know BMR prefers more like 3" as a general minimum, so I'm a little torn if I should install straight up, or bring it back up just a tad. Already tried reworking the y-pipe a but it didn't seem to make any difference
Old 08-01-2016, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Ground clearance, just like fender height is always very subjective. These cars are old enough now that the stock springs are beginning to fatigue and the cars are sitting lower than they originally did with the stock springs. Combine that with the different trim levels and such available out there for these cars, modifications, tire/wheel size etc it is hard to say where the car will actually sit with any springs. Ours generally end up with 1"-1.25" of drop from current height, but I have seen exceptions in either direction of the norm. As I believe I discussed with you on the phone, what is normally the best option to get the "low look" without dragging the car on everything is to go larger on tire/wheel size to fill the wheel gaps. This will counter some of the ground clearance loss from the springs on the low hanging points of the chassis without losing the look you are after. Here are a few examples I have compiled of different combinations with our springs over the years.

LS1tech member Chaman:

This being said, coilovers are a great option as well that offer a wide range adjustability not only in ride quality and performance, but ride height. You can literally set the car to exactly where you want it, and make changes to compensate for anything else that may change on the car afterwards. Granted, they are a bit more than a standard lowering spring and basic shock combo like Bilstein or Koni Str.T Oranges. However, if you start looking at options such as the Koni Sport Yellows, then the price point of the Viking coilover kit becomes very comparable, but with even more adjustabiliy
Thanks Eric! Yes we did talk the other day in fact. I'm not sure if it's relevant or not, but I took measurements of my ride height the other day and it appears that I'm 27.5" front and 27.75" rear. Can you tell by those measurements if my stock setup is saging a bit?
Old 08-01-2016, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running Strano springs and love the drop however (as everyone else has stated) I avoid speed bumps and sharp inclines at all costs. I love the funny look I get from friends when they invite me to go somewhere and I ask them about speed bumps, steep driveways and if there's curbside parking.

I love the look and appreciate the handling benefits on track, however it is still a pain to get around some places.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Eric! Yes we did talk the other day in fact. I'm not sure if it's relevant or not, but I took measurements of my ride height the other day and it appears that I'm 27.5" front and 27.75" rear. Can you tell by those measurements if my stock setup is saging a bit?
You're right in line with where I was with almost new shocks and stock springs.

^^^ Valid point above about the tire/wheel game. My track tires/wheels are taller than my street tire/wheel setup. I prefer the additional clearance so much I find myself running the track tires on the street for a long time after events.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Midnight02
You're right in line with where I was with almost new shocks and stock springs.

^^^ Valid point above about the tire/wheel game. My track tires/wheels are taller than my street tire/wheel setup. I prefer the additional clearance so much I find myself running the track tires on the street for a long time after events.
Budget is really tight but I'm strongly considering a different wheel and tire combo. The only way it would be realistically feasible right now is to find someone who is willing to do a trade more or less. What track setup are you running?
Old 08-01-2016, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah those measurements are pretty on par with a stock height vehicle that we normally see. You should expect around 26.5-26.75" with our springs

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-01-2016, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Yeah those measurements are pretty on par with a stock height vehicle that we normally see. You should expect around 26.5-26.75" with our springs
If I remember correctly you said you guys sell some spacers for the front that could raise it up a tad. Do you have a link to those? Also, you mentioned something for the rear as well but I can't recall what it was.

Quick Reply: Lowering and ground clearance