Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering and ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I was like you for the longest time and was afraid to lower my ride. I went with the BMR springs and could not be happier. I can still get out of my driveway that has a 10" curb at a angle. I also have Kooks TD's.

Before

After BMR springs

Drag Pack
Attached Thumbnails Lowering and ground clearance-20121021_190432.jpg   Lowering and ground clearance-20150411_195312.jpg   Lowering and ground clearance-img_20151108_162843.jpg  

Last edited by kinglt-1; 08-01-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I was like you for the longest time and was afraid to lower my ride. I went with the BMR springs and could not be happier. I can still get out of my driveway that has a 10" curb at a angle. I also have Kooks TD's.

Before

After BMR springs

Drag Pack
Did you ever measure your lowest point by chance? Car looks great btw!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
If I remember correctly you said you guys sell some spacers for the front that could raise it up a tad. Do you have a link to those? Also, you mentioned something for the rear as well but I can't recall what it was.
That is correct. I have a spacer that goes under the front shock to raise the car 1/2" if needed. For the rear, O'Reilly's carries a thicker rear isolator that can be put in as is or trimmed down to fine tune the ride height. Here is a link to ours.

http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=produ...506&superpro=0

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
That is correct. I have a spacer that goes under the front shock to raise the car 1/2" if needed. For the rear, O'Reilly's carries a thicker rear isolator that can be put in as is or trimmed down to fine tune the ride height. Here is a link to ours.

http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=produ...506&superpro=0
Perfect! Thank you! I called O'Reilly's and they said the one they have is made by Moog and are about $20 a piece. Does that sound like the right one? If so, does it also have enough material for me to get the 1/2" gain in the rear, to match the 1/2" gain in the front that I get with the spacer?
Old 08-01-2016, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you ever measure your lowest point by chance? Car looks great btw!
Thanks
yes...sorry forgot to mention that part. Lowest point is the exhaust which is right around 2.75". I still have the rear isolators in too. I have not had any issues with clearance. I did slightly scrape the alignment rack when driving on.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks
yes...sorry forgot to mention that part. Lowest point is the exhaust which is right around 2.75". I still have the rear isolators in too. I have not had any issues with clearance. I did slightly scrape the alignment rack when driving on.
Gotcha. Ok that's good to know because if I do the BMR spacers in the front and the Moog isolators in the rear I should get about a 3/4" drop overall, and that would put my ORY right at 2.75" clearance. Now the question becomes would a 3/4" drop be noticeable you think? I'd be happy with a small drop. But only if it was noticeable though
Old 08-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Strano springs with Koni 4/4's on all four corners and have never had an issue with clearance. I am running Kooks 1-7/8" LT's into a Kooks 3" ORY and the lowest point of the exhaust is at the bottom of the collector. Here is a pic with a pop can as reference. I have never bottomed out on anything. Had this set-up installed maybe 7 years.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 35th-anv-ss
I have Strano springs with Koni 4/4's on all four corners and have never had an issue with clearance. I am running Kooks 1-7/8" LT's into a Kooks 3" ORY and the lowest point of the exhaust is at the bottom of the collector. Here is a pic with a pop can as reference. I have never bottomed out on anything. Had this set-up installed maybe 7 years.

Thanks for posting! Ever measure your lowest point?
Old 08-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

The pop can reference is all I have at the moment and unfortunately I cannot take a measurement because my car is currently on jack-stands as I'm doing some work to the Procharger set-up. If I had to guess based on a pop can being 4.83" tall, the lowest point is about 3" off the ground; give or take.

I personally think you'd be fine with the BMR springs. You just need to be aware/cautious when driving up steep incline drive-ways, etc. I still tend to go slow and at an angle just as a precautionary.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 35th-anv-ss
The pop can reference is all I have at the moment and unfortunately I cannot take a measurement because my car is currently on jack-stands as I'm doing some work to the Procharger set-up. If I had to guess based on a pop can being 4.83" tall, the lowest point is about 3" off the ground; give or take.

I personally think you'd be fine with the BMR springs. You just need to be aware/cautious when driving up steep incline drive-ways, etc. I still tend to go slow and at an angle just as a precautionary.
Yep I'm starting to think the thicker isolator and spacer combo along with the BMR springs would give me the perfect compromise of clearance and stance
Old 08-01-2016, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Reading through this thread and I'm gathering that clearance is your biggest concern along with the lowered look. It looks like you've got a good compromise going on with the lowering springs and the added spacers and larger isolator. However a half inch isn't a terrible amount either. I think it's already been mentioned but one of the most overlooked things is knowing how low your car is relative to what you're driving over or where you will be driving. Parking on the curb or avoiding speed bumps, things like that etc. etc. is the safest bet of them all IMO. I'd still get the spacers and install them first cause it looks like it's right for you.

It's my second nature to avoid anything on the road I live where there's 4-5 inch deep potholes right outside the driveway that'll nearly rip my suspension off if I hit them. Speed bumps and curbs I have to be real careful, half of the curbs are out of the question for me. My car is lower that when I lowered my camaro on Stranos and it's wheelbase is a bit longer too. Although I don't have a low y-pipe either, so maybe that helps. What I'm getting at is that you might have to change your driving style or just be very cautious about what you're going over, even if it means completely avoiding it. It is a hassle sometimes but the lowered look is quite nice as well.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
Reading through this thread and I'm gathering that clearance is your biggest concern along with the lowered look. It looks like you've got a good compromise going on with the lowering springs and the added spacers and larger isolator. However a half inch isn't a terrible amount either. I think it's already been mentioned but one of the most overlooked things is knowing how low your car is relative to what you're driving over or where you will be driving. Parking on the curb or avoiding speed bumps, things like that etc. etc. is the safest bet of them all IMO. I'd still get the spacers and install them first cause it looks like it's right for you.

It's my second nature to avoid anything on the road I live where there's 4-5 inch deep potholes right outside the driveway that'll nearly rip my suspension off if I hit them. Speed bumps and curbs I have to be real careful, half of the curbs are out of the question for me. My car is lower that when I lowered my camaro on Stranos and it's wheelbase is a bit longer too. Although I don't have a low y-pipe either, so maybe that helps. What I'm getting at is that you might have to change your driving style or just be very cautious about what you're going over, even if it means completely avoiding it. It is a hassle sometimes but the lowered look is quite nice as well.
Yeah I'm fully prepared to change my driving habits for something like this. My main worry was hitting things that were hard to avoid such as maybe a raised man hole cover right in the middle of the road or whatever else there could be besides speed bumps, driveways, etc...And from what I've seen it seems like that 2.5" to 3" mark is that fine line
Old 08-02-2016, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Gotcha. Ok that's good to know because if I do the BMR spacers in the front and the Moog isolators in the rear I should get about a 3/4" drop overall, and that would put my ORY right at 2.75" clearance. Now the question becomes would a 3/4" drop be noticeable you think? I'd be happy with a small drop. But only if it was noticeable though
I think it will be perfect. I think mine looked more drastic because it is a 1sc car that got the v6 springs. It sat 4x4 where the SS cars sat lower...even at that it will look great with 3/4" drop. Go for it you will be happy you did!!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think it will be perfect. I think mine looked more drastic because it is a 1sc car that got the v6 springs. It sat 4x4 where the SS cars sat lower...even at that it will look great with 3/4" drop. Go for it you will be happy you did!!
Thanks man! Based on my current height a 3/4" drop should put me at 26.75" front and 27" rear. The only thing I need confirmed is the isolator that BMR mentions that O'riellys carries. I called them and they said it's made by Moog, so I need to know if that's the right one. Also need to know if I need both top and bottom isolators or just one. And lastly I wanna make sure this isolator has enough material to give the same 3/4" drop as the front. Hopefully Eric BMR can answer this. I get this stuff answered and I'm ready to pull the trigger
Old 08-02-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks man! Based on my current height a 3/4" drop should put me at 26.75" front and 27" rear. The only thing I need confirmed is the isolator that BMR mentions that O'riellys carries. I called them and they said it's made by Moog, so I need to know if that's the right one. Also need to know if I need both top and bottom isolators or just one. And lastly I wanna make sure this isolator has enough material to give the same 3/4" drop as the front. Hopefully Eric BMR can answer this. I get this stuff answered and I'm ready to pull the trigger
Those heights are almost exactly where I am, although I have an extra quarter inch in the rear because I like the rake:

Lowering and ground clearance-e0fcgpp.jpg
Old 08-02-2016, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Those heights are almost exactly where I am, although I have an extra quarter inch in the rear because I like the rake:

Looks good! Those 18's? Mine has a natural 1/4" rake as it sits, and I wanna keep that, which is why I need the info about the rear isolators
Old 08-02-2016, 12:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

These are the ones I have used. Super cheap and easy to come by, They are about 1/2" thicker than the original isolators so they should give you the little extra you need

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...pring+boosters

Old 08-02-2016, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good! Those 18's? Mine has a natural 1/4" rake as it sits, and I wanna keep that, which is why I need the info about the rear isolators
17s up front and 18s in the back.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
These are the ones I have used. Super cheap and easy to come by, They are about 1/2" thicker than the original isolators so they should give you the little extra you need

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...pring+boosters
Perfect thank you! BTW I just saw a post where you stated that the Koni STR.T is on national back order? If so I guess I'm kind of screwd for now lol. If you have a set left, i'm ready to place my order today
Old 08-02-2016, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

They are unfortunately. I was just notified end of last week. We have rears in stock, but the fronts are out until October

Quick Reply: Lowering and ground clearance