Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering and ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Thanks man! Based on my current height a 3/4" drop should put me at 26.75" front and 27" rear. The only thing I need confirmed is the isolator that BMR mentions that O'riellys carries. I called them and they said it's made by Moog, so I need to know if that's the right one. Also need to know if I need both top and bottom isolators or just one. And lastly I wanna make sure this isolator has enough material to give the same 3/4" drop as the front. Hopefully Eric BMR can answer this. I get this stuff answered and I'm ready to pull the trigger
mine is 26" up front and 27 1/8" in the rear. I like the rake too, which is why I left the stock isolators in.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Lower car and then raise car because your afraid of man hole covers? What kind of fng manholes do you have in your area?

I guarantee you will be ripping out whatever spacers you install shortly after you install them and springs. No one ever lowered their car a half an inch and said "Perfect!!!"

My Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon scrapes going in and out of my driveway but I can get my BMR/Koni equipped car sitting on lower perches with no rear isolators in and out without scraping. Just put the things on and don't worry about it. You might occasionally scrape the air dam that no one sees or maybe your exhaust worst case. Who gives a ****? Trust me, a little scrape here and there doesn't hurt, and that's coming from someone very VERY **** about their car. It's been a garage queen it's whole life, I don't even drive the fng thing so it stays nice and doesn't experience wear. But, unless you drive it up a ramp and put mirrors under it at shows (Like BMR does) its gonna be fine. No one is going to notice or care - even you. Promise.

Or you can keep googling about a 1/4 inch difference but Jesus dude.... this isn't exactly a whole new game being invented. We are talking about our 15 year old **** boxes that everyone and their mother has modded. If ripping your car's guts out while driving over an expansion strip were an issue, you and everyone else here would know about it.

RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT. Sorry man.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok guys I just pulled the trigger Got the STR.T fronts from WS6 store (on national back order at BMR) and everything else through BMR. Includes the rear STR.T's, BMR springs, relocation brackets, and 1/2" spacers for the front. Also got the Moog isolators for the rear, so it will match the drop in the front.

I think I really will be happy with just a 3/4" drop to be honest. I'm not a real big fan of slammed rides, so this small drop will be fine. From what I can tell it will be just enough to make it look more like a normal modern muscle and that's just fine with me. I'm seriously anxious to see what these STR.T's feel like compared to my 100k 16 year old DeCarbons lol.

Also want to thank Eric over at BMR. Very informative and helpful, as well as the guys over at WS6 Store. I'll keep you all updated after I get it installed. Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread too
Old 08-02-2016, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Here's my BMR/Koni SA setup. I really need to get my C6Z on my car. I can lower it more by using the heater hose trick on the rear and the lower perch on the front shocks if I want. I had the heater hose originally but thought it was too low compared to my front setup.

GL. I'm sure you'll enjoy the setup you went with.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Lower car and then raise car because your afraid of man hole covers? What kind of fng manholes do you have in your area?

I guarantee you will be ripping out whatever spacers you install shortly after you install them and springs. No one ever lowered their car a half an inch and said "Perfect!!!"

My Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon scrapes going in and out of my driveway but I can get my BMR/Koni equipped car sitting on lower perches with no rear isolators in and out without scraping. Just put the things on and don't worry about it. You might occasionally scrape the air dam that no one sees or maybe your exhaust worst case. Who gives a ****? Trust me, a little scrape here and there doesn't hurt, and that's coming from someone very VERY **** about their car. It's been a garage queen it's whole life, I don't even drive the fng thing so it stays nice and doesn't experience wear. But, unless you drive it up a ramp and put mirrors under it at shows (Like BMR does) its gonna be fine. No one is going to notice or care - even you. Promise.

Or you can keep googling about a 1/4 inch difference but Jesus dude.... this isn't exactly a whole new game being invented. We are talking about our 15 year old **** boxes that everyone and their mother has modded. If ripping your car's guts out while driving over an expansion strip were an issue, you and everyone else here would know about it.

RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT. Sorry man.

This can also be filed with the "I lowered my 17 year old camaro, but did't replace any bushings and now it vibrates" complaint. Although I only lowered mine 3/4" looked at it and said perfect
Old 08-03-2016, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

For me it came down to a justified tradeoff....lower 3/4" and have 2.75" clearance, or lower 1.2" and have 2.25" clearance. Having close to 2" clearance just didn't sound good to me based on what BMR and others have mentioned
Old 08-03-2016, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
But, unless you drive it up a ramp and put mirrors under it at shows (Like BMR does) its gonna be fine. No one is going to notice or care - even you. Promise.
Hey hey hey now, we don't use ramps and mirrors. That would just be silly. We do this

Name:  DSC_0101.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  377.2 KB

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-03-2016, 11:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Ok guys I just pulled the trigger Got the STR.T fronts from WS6 store (on national back order at BMR) and everything else through BMR. Includes the rear STR.T's, BMR springs, relocation brackets, and 1/2" spacers for the front. Also got the Moog isolators for the rear, so it will match the drop in the front.

I think I really will be happy with just a 3/4" drop to be honest. I'm not a real big fan of slammed rides, so this small drop will be fine. From what I can tell it will be just enough to make it look more like a normal modern muscle and that's just fine with me. I'm seriously anxious to see what these STR.T's feel like compared to my 100k 16 year old DeCarbons lol.

Also want to thank Eric over at BMR. Very informative and helpful, as well as the guys over at WS6 Store. I'll keep you all updated after I get it installed. Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread too
No problem, glad I could help you out! Let me know if you need anything else

Old 08-03-2016, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
No problem, glad I could help you out! Let me know if you need anything else
Yep will do!
Old 08-06-2016, 05:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I had my car down to 3150 with me in it and stock springs and I could fit 4 fingers and a thumb between my tires and fenders and could clear anything. Then I put on a spohn TA with that little unnecessary bend in the mount to clear the driveshaft and BMR springs and I got stuck on a gas filler thing at a gas station. The spohn lowest point is retarded, other than that it would have been fine with the BMR springs.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Do the STR.T's have the lower perch like the yellow Koni's?
Old 08-06-2016, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Parts will be here Monday, so hopefully I'll have it installed by late next week. I'll keep you all posted
Old 08-06-2016, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Do the STR.T's have the lower perch like the yellow Koni's?
Unfortunately no
Old 08-06-2016, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

What's the purpose of this perch that you speak of....is it a way to change height and/or change the rate?
Old 08-06-2016, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What's the purpose of this perch that you speak of....is it a way to change height and/or change the rate?
The front Koni SA's have a two notches cut out on the shock body to mount the spring perch on. The upper notch mount is for stock height, the lower mount lowers roughly .75" on stock springs.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The front Koni SA's have a two notches cut out on the shock body to mount the spring perch on. The upper notch mount is for stock height, the lower mount lowers roughly .75" on stock springs.
Gotcha. Ok these must be the ones that Eric over at BMR was talking about. He mentioned ones that would give me a .75" drop on the stock springs
Old 08-08-2016, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
I had my car down to 3150 with me in it and stock springs and I could fit 4 fingers and a thumb between my tires and fenders and could clear anything. Then I put on a spohn TA with that little unnecessary bend in the mount to clear the driveshaft and BMR springs and I got stuck on a gas filler thing at a gas station. The spohn lowest point is retarded, other than that it would have been fine with the BMR springs.
Sounds like you need one of these
Name:  _MG_5225_zps06812bed.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  59.5 KB

http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=produ...480&superpro=0

Gotcha. Ok these must be the ones that Eric over at BMR was talking about. He mentioned ones that would give me a .75" drop on the stock springs
That would be the ones! The Koni Sport Yellows offer 2 different perch heights in the front.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:46 AM
Teching In

As an fyi, looks like Strano has a "limited stock" of the STR.Ts on hand as well. Shameless plug for a straight shooter and good all-around guy in my book.

Glad you were able to figure everything out, HCI.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys! All the parts have arrived, so hopefully I'll have time this week to get it done. If not I'll get it done over the weekend
Old 08-09-2016, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys! All the parts have arrived, so hopefully I'll have time this week to get it done. If not I'll get it done over the weekend
Congrats on the BMR springs/koni str.t setup, you'll like them. I've been running them since last year and I still dead hooked at the track when I was cam only.

Quick Reply: Lowering and ground clearance