Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Chinese control arms with Moog ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
An "old timer's" (like me) trick, is to put the ball joints in the freezer for about an hour before you're going to install them. It "shrinks" them a little, helping them press into place, as long as you press them in right away, before they warm up too much.
Thanks for the tip. I haven't gotten a call from the place yet (glad I'm not in a hurry) so I'll give him a call Monday and make sure he tries that. He seems knowledgeable and came recommended, so we'll see.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just giving an update. I've been calling about my arms with no such luck. Called yesterday and he said he screwed one of them up. As much as I'd like to be pissed, I did tell him to do it. I'll be picking them up here in a bit and will see if the metal actually split or the hole elongated.

When I talked to him, he told me again there's no way these "problem solvers" would fit in our control arms and that they were wrong. I know they're the right ones, I triple checked. I'm just curious if it's the tolerance of the arm is screwy or he just didn't press them in evenly.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Just giving an update. I've been calling about my arms with no such luck. Called yesterday and he said he screwed one of them up. As much as I'd like to be pissed, I did tell him to do it. I'll be picking them up here in a bit and will see if the metal actually split or the hole elongated.

When I talked to him, he told me again there's no way these "problem solvers" would fit in our control arms and that they were wrong. I know they're the right ones, I triple checked. I'm just curious if it's the tolerance of the arm is screwy or he just didn't press them in evenly.
It's not like this is an uncommon procedure...might need to find a more competent shop.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackandgold
It's not like this is an uncommon procedure...might need to find a more competent shop.
That's my thoughts too. I understand it's a tight fit, but taking over a month to do it and screwing up an arm isn't cool. It'll be the last time I'll use or recommend that guy.

I'll share some pictures of the damage, just for fun.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm no expert about this stuff, but **** doesn't look like he pressed it in straight.
Attached Thumbnails Chinese control arms with Moog ball joints?-20160923_160420.jpg   Chinese control arms with Moog ball joints?-20160923_160440.jpg  

Quick Reply: Chinese control arms with Moog ball joints?