Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Chinese control arms with Moog ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Chinese control arms with Moog ball joints?

I know it's a bad idea to run the RockAuto cheap fully loaded control arms, but since I only have the car I don't want any down time if possible. I ordered all the upper/lower control arms along with some Moog ball joints that Ill swap in.

I'm considering running the bushings that are already preloaded in the control arms, anyone think that's a bad idea? I've only read about bad stuff on the ball joints.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Love RockAuto, ordered yesterday and received half my order today. Here's a picture of one of the bushings I'm thinking about keeping.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need the parts that badly and can't afford to wait then run them I say.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
If you need the parts that badly and can't afford to wait then run them I say.
I don't need them that badly, I can wait to get Moog ball joints pressed in. I'd just rather not have the car down for longer than a weekend and more importantly I don't want to do this again anytime soon. Just wondering if the bushings that are already installed are good enough to run them?
Old 08-11-2016, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
I don't want to do this again anytime soon.
Then put in Moog bushings and avoid that chinese crap.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am doing the same thing. I got new control arms off rock auto and all new moog bushings and ball joints.

Dropping it all off to have the bushings and ball joints replaced. Then im going to replace the arms myself.

Do it once do it right and never jack with it again.

Last edited by matt1289; 08-11-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

My point is, are the bushings good on these arms? No one that I've read about has had the bushings fail, just the ball joints which I'm replacing. Just not sure if it's worth spending more money IF it's not needed. It'll also save me a trip to another town to get the bushings swapped too.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My point is, are the bushings good on these arms? No one that I've read about has had the bushings fail, just the ball joints which I'm replacing. Just not sure if it's worth spending more money IF it's not needed. It'll also save me a trip to another town to get the bushings swapped too.
Why not just replace the ball joints in your existing control arms?
Old 08-21-2016, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Why not just replace the ball joints in your existing control arms?
Thanks for the reply! Honestly now I don't have a spare vehicle to bring and drop my arms off to get done... Should have done while I had the Raptor but didn't. I have the busa but loading 2 or 4 arms in a backpack isn't feasible. Insult to injury is I lowsided last week so have no choice right now, lol.

I have the Chinese upper/lower arms, just curious if anyone has any experience with the bushings failings?

Don't get me wrong I'm mainly being a cheap ***. After 4 Koni shocks plus control arms and new moog ball joints and outer tie end rods and new rear LCA I'm into it $800 or so and would rather not spend the extra $150-$200 for bushings and getting them swapped out if there's no reason to. I definitely understand its a good idea to, but is it really necessary since I've searched and no one has had them fail like the ball joints?
Old 08-22-2016, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For piece of mind I'd swap to moog bushings, you're already waiting for the ball joints. I can't say I've ever heard of a bushing issue (usually people torque without load or something), but why risk an inferior bushing on what sounds like your only transportation?
Old 08-22-2016, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I already dropped the arms and ball joints off at lunch and picking them up here in an hour or so. It's some what of a gamble leaving the bushings, but I think odds are in very much in my favor unlike if I'd left the ball joints. I've been wrong before too though.

I put twice the mileage on the busa than I do on the car.... Car is more of a back up if it's rain or below freezing. Just not really feasible to load 4 arms in a backpack to get them swapped out if I needed to, lol.

If any of the bushings do fail, I'll be sure to update this thread for anyone searching for the same thing I was prior to making this thread.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Finally talked to the place that is pressing the new lower control arm ball joint in. He said reason he hasn't done it yet was because he mic'd them and saw the new Moog K6145T ball joint is bigger than the opening and they're "problem solver" so he thought I had wrong part number and didn't want to mess up the arms. He said he'll press them in if I wanted, but on me if something happens. I know everything I've ever read was how "oversized" the Moog's are and I know I got the right part number.

I'm pretty sure they should go in without screwing anything up. Anyone else think I should give them the go ahead and press them in?
Old 09-06-2016, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah those things are oversized I think by .002in? I had a shop press in mine and they had both lower control arms done (with bushing replacement as well) in about 4 hours. I got the arms back and there were some good gouges on the control arm where they had trouble pressing in the new ball joint. Hehe I'll just let someone else deal with that... I asked if they had trouble with the ball joint and he said that they did. It turned out good though, nothing was messed up, ball joints were pressed in all the way, no clunks, no alignment issues, so a few scratches here and there didn't bother me on a stock control arm.

On a side note, you've got a good shop if they measure the products before they try to put them on and potentially mess something up
Old 09-06-2016, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have to agree, I was impressed with him doing that.

I'm a little concerned with the actual quality of them arm when pressing these oversized bushings in. I feel like I'm safe to tell him good ahead and press them in. Anyone agree or disagree?
Old 09-06-2016, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have to agree, I was impressed with him doing that.

I'm a little concerned with the actual quality of them arm when pressing these oversized bushings in. I feel like I'm safe to tell him good ahead and press them in. Anyone agree or disagree?
I vote just do it. What's the worst that could happen?
Old 09-06-2016, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackandgold
I vote just do it. What's the worst that could happen?
I'm leaning that way too. He made it seem like he could screw up the new arms, guess that's my only paranoia
Old 09-06-2016, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm leaning that way too. He made it seem like he could screw up the new arms, guess that's my only paranoia
eh, throw it in the gutter and go buy another.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shop that pressed in the ball joints on my lower arms didn't have an issue with them. I told them that it looks larger. They measured it and said this was normal or at least they have dealt with it before. Got my arms back with no marks or anything. The ironic thing is that shop made marks pushing the old bushings out but not the oversized Moog bushings. Oh well. I second letting the shop do it.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackandgold
eh, throw it in the gutter and go buy another.
I guess my dilemma is if something did happen I'd be flushing away $160 and I'm a cheap ***, lol.

Originally Posted by Darth Cypher
The shop that pressed in the ball joints on my lower arms didn't have an issue with them. I told them that it looks larger. They measured it and said this was normal or at least they have dealt with it before. Got my arms back with no marks or anything. The ironic thing is that shop made marks pushing the old bushings out but not the oversized Moog bushings. Oh well. I second letting the shop do it.
That's 2 for doing it, plus BlueDay as well. I'll call him first thing this morning and give him the thumbs up to go for it. I'll report back.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.......I'm a little concerned with the actual quality of them arm when pressing these oversized bushings in. I feel like I'm safe to tell him good ahead and press them in. Anyone agree or disagree?
An "old timer's" (like me) trick, is to put the ball joints in the freezer for about an hour before you're going to install them. It "shrinks" them a little, helping them press into place, as long as you press them in right away, before they warm up too much.

Quick Reply: Chinese control arms with Moog ball joints?